• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it last night with the wifey. Not bad for a low budget film, but I have to ask... What was with the aviators? Seems like the antagonist would have been much creepier without the Top Gun look.
:laugh: yeah. I thought there'd be some deeper meaning behind them. Why else waste time on the kid breaking them? :noidea:

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it last night with the wifey. Not bad for a low budget film, but I have to ask... What was with the aviators? Seems like the antagonist would have been much creepier without the Top Gun look.
i thought they looked cool, again, i feel asleep, but woke up at the end, still need to go back to figure out
How the uff did they over come this dude? Killed the one lady then it was just the mother and son, should have been easy targets in my eyes at that point. Guess he got lazy?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought they looked cool, again, i feel asleep, but woke up at the end, still need to go back to figure out
How the uff did they over come this dude? Killed the one lady then it was just the mother and son, should have been easy targets in my eyes at that point. Guess he got lazy?
Well I could tell you but it would spoil it. Even though I actually think it would save you from disappointment. It wasn’t a very realistic sequence of events.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Quiet Place (2018)

Man am I disappointed that I didn't get to see this in theaters. This movie was a wild ride! For those that were concerned that this was a lengthy & slow movie, I can tell you that it was neither. The suspense picks up about 30 mins in, and it never lets go. And the sort of suspense it brings to the table stressed me the f*ck out. Each scene you are brought to the brink only to find solace for a mere 20-30 seconds afterwards until the next wave takes it up a notch. Pretty fun movie if you take the simplistic approach. However if you are like me, you will find plenty of glaring plot holes. WARNING! Do not click if you haven't watched the movie as some of the material may contain spoilers!
First off, you are dumped right in the middle of this post-apocalyptic world with zero background or explanation. So as you can imagine it takes quite the stretch of the imagination to connect some dots. Easy to get over when you consider how saturated this genre is. But I couldn't help but wonder if the dramatic horror elements of this movie would have been that much better with just a simple 2-3 minute scene explaining some sort of invasion, the aliens & maybe how the outside world is fairing. I had a hard time believing these aliens would be so successful in wiping out the population on Earth. The eventual 'weakness' should have been figured out & exploited a very long time ago. My imagination could come up with many different arguments either for or against it. Would have been nice to have more background, or even a simple timeline, to avoid feeling forced into an understanding.

Next I was pretty annoyed with the family & their life choices. A) Why keep having children? Having a baby in this world seems like a very poor choice. But I wonder if, again, a timeline might help. If this current setting is years past the initial invasion then it would be more acceptable. And B) Why the hell didn't they choose to live by the waterfall? Living in an open farm field was a very poor choice. The waterfall would have masked all their noise, and the cliff face would have provided an excellent barrier to defend their home. Which brings me to my next problem... Ambient noise.

Literally everything in this setting would have made ambient or "soft" noise as they called it. The wind rustling the crops & trees, weather, the rivers, etc. Are we really supposed to believe that these aliens would be able to pickup a small noise such as a picture dropping on the floor inside a enclosed home from miles away? That's a tad bit ridiculous. If so then this family should have been dead a long time ago. How the hell would anyone be able to take a dump? Or fart? Or what if someone simply sneezed? All children get sick at a young age. Coughing, sneezing, and even vomiting would have gotten any one of them killed.

And I have many other side questions, but I'll leave them alone. The problems I already talked about were far greater than the rest.

Now I know I just basically crucified this movie and presented you with some glaring issues that destroy the plot concepts from a fundamental standpoint... But please understand that I did like this movie. Again, the simple approach is best for enjoying this sci-fi thriller. Figure out a way to turn off your brain for 90 mins or so and you'll love it. The acting, the cinematics, the progression were all awesome. Really had hoped for a better payoff because the ending pulls the rug out from under you leaving you feeling robbed, but I can understand why they did it. The impact of it resonated long after the film ended. My imagination went wild for hours.

An illogical sci-fi thriller, but an amazing suspense nonetheless... 7/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ ... Hope that review suited your eyesight better. I made good use of paragraphs! lol

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ ... Hope that review suited your eyesight better. I made good use of paragraphs! lol

Yes, very.

I'll get to seeing A Quiet Place sometime in the next 3-4 years and will let you know what I think of it.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI: Cabin Fever 2 and The Cabin in the Woods on SY FY later today.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desolation (2017)

On Netflix! As I stated before in a brief convo with @Win TWINS!!! , this isn't a bad movie by low-budget standards. Very formulaic & simple but effective survival thriller. I had some issues with the antagonist, as well as the progression. Could have done without the colorful aviators on the stalker. Looked a little silly every time it showed him in a creepy or menacing stalker pose. And also seemed like he should have been able to wipe out the entire group with ease. Which brings me to my problem with the progression which is entirely from the sequence of events with the mother & child breaking free from the hunter & ultimately besting him. I found that entire sequence to be a little farfetched. You will also find the typical low-budget issues of poor decision making & subpar acting, but neither felt like a glaring problem though. I had more of an issue with the cheesy sci-fi-esque score that felt very out of place lol. Overall it's a decent film with a good pace for such a small runtime, but don't expect miracles. There's not much that's memorable about it other than the antagonist that appears to be a huge Top Gun fan. There's good enough acting and decent tension throughout, but nothing that really made me jump or put me on edge.

Middle of the road low-budget survival thriller... 6/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh: yeah. I thought there'd be some deeper meaning behind them. Why else waste time on the kid breaking them? :noidea:
That and the wine bottles... They wasted time on the friend covering them up the morning after their little party. I thought it was foreshadowing or something and they would eventually use them.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI: Cabin Fever 2 and The Cabin in the Woods on SY FY later today.
Watchin SyFy right now, Cabin Fever: Patient Zero.

edit: Laughed my ass off at the part with the couple snorkeling & finding the dead fish. They freaked out over the fish that were clearly filleted.

Last edited:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Quiet Place (2018)

Man am I disappointed that I didn't get to see this in theaters. This movie was a wild ride! For those that were concerned that this was a lengthy & slow movie, I can tell you that it was neither. The suspense picks up about 30 mins in, and it never lets go. And the sort of suspense it brings to the table stressed me the f*ck out. Each scene you are brought to the brink only to find solace for a mere 20-30 seconds afterwards until the next wave takes it up a notch. Pretty fun movie if you take the simplistic approach. However if you are like me, you will find plenty of glaring plot holes. WARNING! Do not click if you haven't watched the movie as some of the material may contain spoilers!
First off, you are dumped right in the middle of this post-apocalyptic world with zero background or explanation. So as you can imagine it takes quite the stretch of the imagination to connect some dots. Easy to get over when you consider how saturated this genre is. But I couldn't help but wonder if the dramatic horror elements of this movie would have been that much better with just a simple 2-3 minute scene explaining some sort of invasion, the aliens & maybe how the outside world is fairing. I had a hard time believing these aliens would be so successful in wiping out the population on Earth. The eventual 'weakness' should have been figured out & exploited a very long time ago. My imagination could come up with many different arguments either for or against it. Would have been nice to have more background, or even a simple timeline, to avoid feeling forced into an understanding.

Next I was pretty annoyed with the family & their life choices. A) Why keep having children? Having a baby in this world seems like a very poor choice. But I wonder if, again, a timeline might help. If this current setting is years past the initial invasion then it would be more acceptable. And B) Why the hell didn't they choose to live by the waterfall? Living in an open farm field was a very poor choice. The waterfall would have masked all their noise, and the cliff face would have provided an excellent barrier to defend their home. Which brings me to my next problem... Ambient noise.

Literally everything in this setting would have made ambient or "soft" noise as they called it. The wind rustling the crops & trees, weather, the rivers, etc. Are we really supposed to believe that these aliens would be able to pickup a small noise such as a picture dropping on the floor inside a enclosed home from miles away? That's a tad bit ridiculous. If so then this family should have been dead a long time ago. How the hell would anyone be able to take a dump? Or fart? Or what if someone simply sneezed? All children get sick at a young age. Coughing, sneezing, and even vomiting would have gotten any one of them killed.

And I have many other side questions, but I'll leave them alone. The problems I already talked about were far greater than the rest.

Now I know I just basically crucified this movie and presented you with some glaring issues that destroy the plot concepts from a fundamental standpoint... But please understand that I did like this movie. Again, the simple approach is best for enjoying this sci-fi thriller. Figure out a way to turn off your brain for 90 mins or so and you'll love it. The acting, the cinematics, the progression were all awesome. Really had hoped for a better payoff because the ending pulls the rug out from under you leaving you feeling robbed, but I can understand why they did it. The impact of it resonated long after the film ended. My imagination went wild for hours.

Now I REALLY have to watch it! :pound::pound::pound:

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Quiet Place (2018)

as requested.

I liked the fact the movie just jumped right into it. I don't mind trying to piece together stuff or speculating incorrectly. Similarly I was happy I watched Room with know idea what the film was about and on a lesser note, Brigsby Bear. As to how they should have been exploited earlier, I don't find it anymore out of place than zombie movies, since they should easily be mowed down. I think the key here to go with it is that early on, if the only thing they know is they can track you by sound, you stop making sounds and news may not travel or be as readily available. i mean if this is an alien race that found it's way to earth, they clearly must know something other than how to hear things.

I assume it's out on blu-ray now. The thing I liked about watching it in the theater was how how the sound came through. The difference when you were watching from the perspective of the death girl with the hearing aid, whatever they were piping in just made me feel uneasy.

so, onto A) I felt this was definitely a situation where the pregnancy was already on its way when the invasion happened. i'm sure if i went back and tried to look at the board he had with the different clippings, theories, etc, you could possibly piece together a timeline, but never felt the need to.

B) from a cinematic standpoint the choice is obvious, but how much space was around the waterfall to put something together? would they still have to risk traveling more often to a farm to get food and risk those instances where they could puke, cough, etc... as for defensive positioning, at that point what they were fighting seemed to be pretty invulnerable.

as for ambient noise, i think it was more as trying to be overly cautious. if something was in the area, it'd be far more riskier for them to pick up something small and if something large happened, you'd want to want to take other precautions they did, painting the floorboards, trying to soundproof the room by using paper, etc...

it's been a while since i've seen it, but i wasn't overly concerned with those issues.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as requested.

I liked the fact the movie just jumped right into it. I don't mind trying to piece together stuff or speculating incorrectly. Similarly I was happy I watched Room with know idea what the film was about and on a lesser note, Brigsby Bear. As to how they should have been exploited earlier, I don't find it anymore out of place than zombie movies, since they should easily be mowed down. I think the key here to go with it is that early on, if the only thing they know is they can track you by sound, you stop making sounds and news may not travel or be as readily available. i mean if this is an alien race that found it's way to earth, they clearly must know something other than how to hear things.

I assume it's out on blu-ray now. The thing I liked about watching it in the theater was how how the sound came through. The difference when you were watching from the perspective of the death girl with the hearing aid, whatever they were piping in just made me feel uneasy.

so, onto A) I felt this was definitely a situation where the pregnancy was already on its way when the invasion happened. i'm sure if i went back and tried to look at the board he had with the different clippings, theories, etc, you could possibly piece together a timeline, but never felt the need to.

B) from a cinematic standpoint the choice is obvious, but how much space was around the waterfall to put something together? would they still have to risk traveling more often to a farm to get food and risk those instances where they could puke, cough, etc... as for defensive positioning, at that point what they were fighting seemed to be pretty invulnerable.

as for ambient noise, i think it was more as trying to be overly cautious. if something was in the area, it'd be far more riskier for them to pick up something small and if something large happened, you'd want to want to take other precautions they did, painting the floorboards, trying to soundproof the room by using paper, etc...

it's been a while since i've seen it, but i wasn't overly concerned with those issues.
Like I said, I could get over all the glaring problems with it. But I just felt like it could have provided a better horrifying experience if you were given a dosage of the background & outside world. Aside from the newspaper clippings & what not in the basement, the only preview to the outside world was in the deserted town in the beginning, and of course the old dude burying his wife in the woods. I know it wasn't necessary, but it could have alleviated a lot of the misconceptions that I'm seeing around the web in regards to ratings.

A)The mother wasn't pregnant in the beginning, was she? I don't recall seeing her bump on display until the timejump after the youngest child was killed in the beginning sequence. That would indicate they opted to reproduce DURING this apocalyptic world. Not a wise choice when they already had 2 children to care for & defend.

B)Well yea obviously the movie setting would have been pretty bland with a house next to a wall & waterfall. I get all your reasonings, but it still doesn't change the fact that their primary means of defense (being quiet) could have been VASTLY easier on all of them if they had lived next to the waterfall. And with the cliff face, I guess we'll never know this, but I doubt those creatures would have been able to scale a wet rock face. 1 less direction to defend yourself against. But that's being nit-picky. And I agree the house would have been a huge downgrade in regards to living space since the waterfall landscape didn't offer very much space. Still seemed much safer.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I could get over all the glaring problems with it. But I just felt like it could have provided a better horrifying experience if you were given a dosage of the background & outside world. Aside from the newspaper clippings & what not in the basement, the only preview to the outside world was in the deserted town in the beginning, and of course the old dude burying his wife in the woods. I know it wasn't necessary, but it could have alleviated a lot of the misconceptions that I'm seeing around the web in regards to ratings.

A)The mother wasn't pregnant in the beginning, was she? I don't recall seeing her bump on display until the timejump after the youngest child was killed in the beginning sequence. That would indicate they opted to reproduce DURING this apocalyptic world. Not a wise choice when they already had 2 children to care for & defend.

B)Well yea obviously the movie setting would have been pretty bland with a house next to a wall & waterfall. I get all your reasonings, but it still doesn't change the fact that their primary means of defense (being quiet) could have been VASTLY easier on all of them if they had lived next to the waterfall. And with the cliff face, I guess we'll never know this, but I doubt those creatures would have been able to scale a wet rock face. 1 less direction to defend yourself against. But that's being nit-picky. And I agree the house would have been a huge downgrade in regards to living space since the waterfall landscape didn't offer very much space. Still seemed much safer.
i feel we're spoonfed too much as it is nowadays, so i don't mind when we have to wait a bit before gaining further knowledge.

granted, i've only watched it once and it's not as fresh in my mind, i think the biggest thing that supports she was already pregnant (didn't have to be showing) was the fact that she wasn't carrying the kid that died at the start of the movie. i think that was still early on in the invasion or whatever you want to call it. as such, the little kid still didn't understand the ramifications. also, it can probably go to why they set up shop where they did. it's a farm and still in the middle of nowhere. i think being in a country setting makes them feel safer in general. they knew the wife was pregnant and wanted to build that nest where they felt even safer.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel we're spoonfed too much as it is nowadays, so i don't mind when we have to wait a bit before gaining further knowledge.

granted, i've only watched it once and it's not as fresh in my mind, i think the biggest thing that supports she was already pregnant (didn't have to be showing) was the fact that she wasn't carrying the kid that died at the start of the movie. i think that was still early on in the invasion or whatever you want to call it. as such, the little kid still didn't understand the ramifications. also, it can probably go to why they set up shop where they did. it's a farm and still in the middle of nowhere. i think being in a country setting makes them feel safer in general. they knew the wife was pregnant and wanted to build that nest where they felt even safer.
Yes we are spoon-fed too much nowadays, but a simple 2-3 minute scene that incorporated both the background & the timeline would have been easy to do and wouldn't have been overwhelming at all. A better closeup of those newspapers would have probably revealed a lot that. Given the amount of newspapers he had pinned up makes me think the invasion was some time in the past. All I'm really sayin is that it takes quite the leaps of faith to connect all these dots, and really nobody can say for certain whats true or not. Its all theories. Which is why so many people are drilling the ratings. I'm sure the ratings will hold because like you & I, people should be able to use their imagination to make up their own connections.

Well if the mother was indeed pregnant in the beginning sequence then I don't know why the director made the point after the timejump to get a close-up of her belly. They wanted it to be very clear that she was pregnant AFTER the timejump.

And another thing that I might have missed... Where the F did they get all that beach sand to make all those trails? That would have taken months or longer to complete.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, useless trivia, but Mike Patton of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle fame, did the monster sounds in that flick.
That's crazy. Sort of a coincidence that you say that because I was reading recently about how Patton did the score for the 1922 movie on Netflix.