• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Taddy Mason - yeh, I've got some love for Student Bodies as well. Maybe a little too cute, but also very well written and acted. I think the "Horror Chick Flick" perception keeps it outta the top echelon.

Ah, love...even with Zombies, it's a bitch! :pound::pound::pound:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya here, although I personally would switch 4 and 5. Gremlins is a bit more of an underdog (not to mention more cleverly written), and I think that lack of commercial slickness compared to the high profile Ghostbusters gives it a nod for me. Not a big thing either way, I love 'em both. Gotta put 'em both over Beetlejuice, which had that nasty little mean streak to it that, for me, just didn't hit the right note.
For me Beetlejuice brings back a lot of memories. I loved how insanely odd it was at the time. I seriously have no clue how it was so well received at the time when movies coming out around then were mostly comedy & drama. There were a few horrors like Child's Play & The Blob, but I dont' think they did very well at the time. It was definitely Tim Burton's groundbreaking film in which he burst onto the scene. It will forever be a cult classic. It feels original in any era, making it timeless. The imaginative story it tells about a gross, scary, weird, yet oddly optimistic afterlife doesn’t mesh with anything audiences had seen before or have seen since.

Speaking of... Did you hear they announced Beetlejuice 2, which will be written & directed by none other than Tim Burton!? They had been trying to get that project off the ground for 30 years, but I think it finally has legs! No release date yet however.

Last edited:

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Taddy Mason - yeh, I've got some love for Student Bodies as well. Maybe a little too cute, but also very well written and acted. I think the "Horror Chick Flick" perception keeps it outta the top echelon.

Ah, love...even with Zombies, it's a bitch! :pound::pound::pound:
You're thinking of Warm Bodies. Student Bodies is from 81.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May watch some Horror flicks on Saturday......NBA playoffs don't continue till Sunday.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hola everyone! Longtime no see.

I watched the 1982 classic The Entity last night and thought I would post a review.

Quick summery: Barbara Hersey is constantly attacked by an invisible entity (or entities).

Good flick in the sense of ruthless violence and utter helplessness of the situation. You will either find it a good watch or be disgusted by the depictions of fairly graphic r*pe. Most women will not be happy if you suggest watching this one so be careful there.

Positives: The direction is pretty solid, the fxs are good (for the time period) the storyline is kinda engrossing, the soundtrack is cool.

Negatives: The lackadaisical reaction to the situation, particularly after they see evidence is a bit stupid. Ron Silver's continued insistence that it is a psychological issue is really annoying at times. I can't tell if the acting is good or bad because the character's reactions and dialog regarding the situation was driving me a bit nuts.

Overall: a 7 out of 10 in my book but the subject matter could make it unwatchable for some. A quick dive into the craziness with little character development and a tiny sledgehammer plot is surprisingly effective.

Under-rated horror flick and it gave me major wood back then when watching. Horny little bastard that I was.

LOL

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old school:
Young Frankenstein
Army of Darkness
Beetlejuice
Ghostbusters
Gremlins

New School:
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Cabin in the Woods
Housebound
Cooties

Forgot about Zombie-land.

Never seen Cooties, Housebound, or Tuck and Dale vs Evil.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSA: Beetlejuice is on Sy Fy from 5:30-7:30pm EST.

May watch that today before boxing since it's a slow sports day.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about Gremlins....that's a Horror comedy classic.

Remember being jacked for the 2nd one and was really disappointed.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about Zombie-land.

Never seen Cooties, Housebound, or Tuck and Dale vs Evil.
T&DvE and Housebound are must see horror comedies. I liked Cooties but I could see why others didn't. Take or leave that one.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This also looks worthy of my time.

Posted those for others that haven't seen them.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does anyone make a horror comedy list and not include my all time favorite Evil Dead 2!?!

On a related note, did anyone watch the latest season of Ash vs Evil Dead? Awesome, as all Bruce Campbell stuff is. A crying shame that the idiots in charge decided to cancel it.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big horror movie enthusiast here. I've seen a lot of horror movies and am always looking for new recommendations! Horrors, thrillers, sci-fi, you name it! Use this thread to discuss any horror movies that you have watched, want to see (coming soon), or in the rumor mill. The good, the bad, and the ugly... All are welcome!

I love horror movies too. I really like the Freddy and Jason movies as well as the Halloween movies.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does anyone make a horror comedy list and not include my all time favorite Evil Dead 2!?!

On a related note, did anyone watch the latest season of Ash vs Evil Dead? Awesome, as all Bruce Campbell stuff is. A crying shame that the idiots in charge decided to cancel it.

True. Something always gets forgotten with so many great Horror comedies.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Something always gets forgotten with so many great Horror comedies.
lol... You mentioned it first in your original list

This could stimulate an interesting debate.....

Old school

Dead Alive
American werewold in London
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead 2

New school

The Cabin in the Woods

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Evil Dead 2 is a good one, but not in my top 5. Should have put it in my "Honorable Mentions" but I spaced it!
Top 5 for me:

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Young Frankenstein
3. Army of Darkness
4. Ghostbusters
5. Gremlins

Honorable Mentions: Beetlejuice, Evil Dead 2, Zombieland & D&TvE

I struggle not to put Beetlejuice in top 5. But for me personally I loved Ghostbusters & Gremlins more.
There, that's better.

AvED was awesome! I don't think it got the ratings from their cult following that it was expecting. It was a damn shame because I was loving it!!! @TheRobotDevil & I were talking about it fairly recently.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Strangers: Prey at Night. Not a fan of it. The fact they were in a seemingly abandoned trailer park took me out of it. The added bonus that I didn't care if anyone died was another.

I did try and watch a couple as I was drifting off that might have been worthwhile, but I fell asleep through parts.

Will revisit parts of Desolation and A Dark Song.

Did catch some good 80s camp the other week in Deleria, basic 80s slasher, but replace the summer camp with a play (pretty sure they were practicing a play, maybe it was going to be another type of show).

Caught Wake Wood, it had it's moments, but ultimately fell flat. That's about it for my recent ones. Oh, I did start Raw one night, feel it's about to get really crazy, I was tired, so figured I'd save it for a later time.