• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It Follows (2015)

If you are a fan of horror, then you OWE it to yourself to see this movie, if not own it. This is probably one of the best horror films that I have seen in some time. Quite literally this movie took me back to when I first discovered the original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis, the movie that originally made me fall in love with the horror genre. The setting, the plot, the progression, the score... All of it was gold! Great heart-pounding suspense! As far as I'm concerned, this movie was knocked out of the park. For those of you that like to ponder "what would I do in that situation"... This is the movie for you. Quite the eerie feeling that it will leave you with. My only knocks on it are that I think the ending could have been done a little better and some of the nudity was unnecessary. The last 2 minutes were a little rushed, and leaves you wanting more. But it could be one of those endings that I will understand more as I continue to watch it throughout the years. Hard to say at this point... But I couldn't recommend this movie more.

Enjoy! 9.5/10

Does not compute??

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool that you liked Ginger Snaps! There is a part 2, which is pretty good and a part 3 which is decent but they descend just slightly in overall quality. They are all very different stories.

I will have to check out Found and It Follows but the problem is finding the time as I don't think I can watch them with the wife. She watches quite a bit of horror with me but Found sounds a bit too intense for her and while the It Follows is probably ok, the "r*pe" aspect is something that she would not like.

I rewatched Event Horizon last night just to kill some time at the hotel. I always liked the movie. Great gore and the story is interesting but there are some problems. Acting quality varies (always liked Sam Neil; Fishburne is decent but wooden as always). Wish they would have spent a bit more time on backstory and plugging plot holes.

I'll list my fav sci-fi horror later. It is a rather under-appreciated sub-genre.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool that you liked Ginger Snaps! There is a part 2, which is pretty good and a part 3 which is decent but they descend just slightly in overall quality. They are all very different stories.

I will have to check out Found and It Follows but the problem is finding the time as I don't think I can watch them with the wife. She watches quite a bit of horror with me but Found sounds a bit too intense for her and while the It Follows is probably ok, the "r*pe" aspect is something that she would not like.

I rewatched Event Horizon last night just to kill some time at the hotel. I always liked the movie. Great gore and the story is interesting but there are some problems. Acting quality varies (always liked Sam Neil; Fishburne is decent but wooden as always). Wish they would have spent a bit more time on backstory and plugging plot holes.

I'll list my fav sci-fi horror later. It is a rather under-appreciated sub-genre.
It was a great recommendation! Thanks again! I'll definitely be watching the 2nd & 3rd soon.

Found is definitely not for the weak stomached. Its pretty damn disturbing. It Follows doesn't have any "r*pe" per say... Well maybe the sex from "IT" during one 3-5 second scene. Its quick. Its has 1 sexual encounter of "trickery" if you know what I mean. Hard to explain lol. But its nothing like the hard to watch "r*pe" scenes that most movies have (like Hills Have Eyes for one).

I love Event Horizon. But yea they could have created a better "fear" factor with more description or backstory. I thought the progression was good. Pretty damn good movie though!

Last edited:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched My Soul to Take last night. It was just ok, certainly not one of Wes Craven's best by any means. Halfway through I thought that it was basically someone's poor attempt to kind of copy Scream but when I saw it was a Craven movie I assumed that he was just trying to recapture the magic (Craven directed the Scream movies).

I was listening to some Max Landis discussions, who is John Landis' son, and a movie that he recommended was The Lair of the White Worm. I just watched it. Cheesy 80's stuff from infamous camp director Ken Russell. It played more like a 60's-70's Hammer film than an 80's flick. Phallic snake stuff with some pretty funny moments. Some pretty cool costumes for the snake effects.

Can't say that I would recommend either. Good thing I had some hours to kill while stuck in a hotel for work.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So............sci-fi horror. Two genres that blend together very well at times as they both require fertile imaginations.

Some real classics in this genre that I am assuming that every horror movie fan has seen (or must see if they have not already):
*Alien- One of my all-time favs. Started my love of Ridley Scott flicks. The creature design is incredible, and the ambience and pace is creepy. Note that I don't consider Aliens (also a great flick) to be sci-fi horror. I consider it to be sci-fi action. I do consider Alien3 more horror though.
*The Fly- Not the original, but the 80's version with Goldblum.
*The Thing- John Carpenter at his best! The remake was also pretty good but not quite the classic.
*The Cabin in the Woods- You don't even realive that it is sci-fi until later into it, but very well done.

Other "classics" that you may or may not have seen
*The Re-Animator series- Lovecraft brought the big screen! The first in the series is a must see for horror fans.
*Invasion of the Body Snatchers- I prefer the 50's version but it does not age too great as far as effects and all. Great concept.
*Scanners- Psychics explode peoples heads! 'Nuff said!
*Altered States- Trippy isolation chamber stuff. A bit cheesy 80's feel but still pretty cool.
*From Beyond- More Lovecraft! I know that people don't consider him sci-fi but he represents well in some of his tales.
*The Cube- It didn't make a lot of sense but I thought it was pretty darn good!
*The Island of Dr. Moreau- I actually liked the 70's version more than the 90's version.
*Lifeforce- Vampires floating through space in a ship inside of Haley's Comet. A bit of a guilty pleasure as it is definately flawed but the nekid lady vamp was awesome and the concept is very good. Could use a remake to improve it.
*The Crazies- Government turns town into killer zombie-like folks. I prefer the recent remake over the original Romero 70's version.
*Predators- All of the stand alone Predator flicks are pretty good. However, I think that the recent Predators with Adrien Brody is the best of the lot.
*Pandorum- Cool Alien wannbe flick (Not at all an insult in this case!)
*Mimic- Scientists mutate cockroaches into 7' tall guys in overcoats....sound ridiculous but actually pretty good.
*War of the Worlds- The original only. Hardly considered horror nowdays but consider that the original radio broadcast actually had people hiding in their basements, organizing makeshift local armies, and people commiting suicide, the historical implications alone make the story interesting (even though the move came out 30 years afterwards).
*Species- So she would eat you after sex, but I can think of much worse ways to go! Possibly hottest alien chick around.
*Frankenstein- The original sci-fi horror story. Many versions to choose from. 1930's verision with the Bride of Frankenstein sequel are probably right at the top.
*Splice- Damn those genetic engineers! Won't they ever learn??

Lots of others out there. Anyone have any favs that they want to add?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FaCe-LeE-uS, if you like coming of age horror stories, buy Summer of Night by Dan Simmons off Amazon. Just finished re-reading it. Originally came out in 1991.

It's epic!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FaCe-LeE-uS, if you like coming of age horror stories, buy Summer of Night by Dan Simmons off Amazon. Just finished re-reading it. Originally came out in 1991.

It's epic!!!
I'll definitely check it out! Thanks! :suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So............sci-fi horror. Two genres that blend together very well at times as they both require fertile imaginations.

Some real classics in this genre that I am assuming that every horror movie fan has seen (or must see if they have not already):
*Alien- One of my all-time favs. Started my love of Ridley Scott flicks. The creature design is incredible, and the ambience and pace is creepy. Note that I don't consider Aliens (also a great flick) to be sci-fi horror. I consider it to be sci-fi action. I do consider Alien3 more horror though.
*The Thing- John Carpenter at his best! The remake was also pretty good but not quite the classic.
*The Cabin in the Woods- You don't even realive that it is sci-fi until later into it, but very well done.

*The Re-Animator series- Lovecraft brought the big screen! The first in the series is a must see for horror fans.
*Invasion of the Body Snatchers- I prefer the 50's version but it does not age too great as far as effects and all. Great concept.
*Altered States- Trippy isolation chamber stuff. A bit cheesy 80's feel but still pretty cool.
*From Beyond- More Lovecraft! I know that people don't consider him sci-fi but he represents well in some of his tales.
*The Island of Dr. Moreau- I actually liked the 70's version more than the 90's version.
*Lifeforce- Vampires floating through space in a ship inside of Haley's Comet. A bit of a guilty pleasure as it is definately flawed but the nekid lady vamp was awesome and the concept is very good. Could use a remake to improve it.
*The Crazies- Government turns town into killer zombie-like folks. I prefer the recent remake over the original Romero 70's version.
*Predators- All of the stand alone Predator flicks are pretty good. However, I think that the recent Predators with Adrien Brody is the best of the lot.
*Mimic- Scientists mutate cockroaches into 7' tall guys in overcoats....sound ridiculous but actually pretty good.
*War of the Worlds- The original only. Hardly considered horror nowdays but consider that the original radio broadcast actually had people hiding in their basements, organizing makeshift local armies, and people commiting suicide, the historical implications alone make the story interesting (even though the move came out 30 years afterwards).
*Species- So she would eat you after sex, but I can think of much worse ways to go! Possibly hottest alien chick around.
*Frankenstein- The original sci-fi horror story. Many versions to choose from. 1930's verision with the Bride of Frankenstein sequel are probably right at the top.

Great list Jakedog! Loved all of them and I own more than half! Sci-fi horror is the shit.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched My Soul to Take last night. It was just ok, certainly not one of Wes Craven's best by any means. Halfway through I thought that it was basically someone's poor attempt to kind of copy Scream but when I saw it was a Craven movie I assumed that he was just trying to recapture the magic (Craven directed the Scream movies).

I was listening to some Max Landis discussions, who is John Landis' son, and a movie that he recommended was The Lair of the White Worm. I just watched it. Cheesy 80's stuff from infamous camp director Ken Russell. It played more like a 60's-70's Hammer film than an 80's flick. Phallic snake stuff with some pretty funny moments. Some pretty cool costumes for the snake effects.

Can't say that I would recommend either. Good thing I had some hours to kill while stuck in a hotel for work.
I've watched "My Soul to Take" before. Pretty decent, as one would expect from Wes Craven. But I hear ya, it was very reminiscent of Scream. That was Craven's most recent work, if I'm not mistaken. I believe it came after his most recent remake of "Nightmare on Elm St". But I could be wrong.

Never heard of the White Worm one. If I'm bored enough maybe I'll give it a shot lol.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woot! Horror movie night!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regent made the other thread containing the new del Toro movie preview, Crimson Peak.

It looks fantastic!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the zomedie Detention of the Dead last night.

Not the best zom-com out there. of course Shaun of the Dead is considered the pinicle, but movies like the classic Dead Alive (Peter Jackson's initial breakthrough), Dance of the Dead, Deadheads, Dead Snow, Return of the Living Dead (considered another "classic"), Zombieland, etc. are all superior to it

Zom-coms are not for everyone. They are often gory but rarely scary. Kind of a strange horror sub-genre.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the zomedie Detention of the Dead last night.

Not the best zom-com out there. of course Shaun of the Dead is considered the pinicle, but movies like the classic Dead Alive (Peter Jackson's initial breakthrough), Dance of the Dead, Deadheads, Dead Snow, Return of the Living Dead (considered another "classic"), Zombieland, etc. are all superior to it

Zom-coms are not for everyone. They are often gory but rarely scary. Kind of a strange horror sub-genre.

Just to clarify: When I said "are all superior to it", I was refering to superior to Detention of the Dead, not superior to Shaun of the Dead. The way I wrote it could cause some confusion.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As long as it includes John Carpenters "The Thing" :)

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love this list. The first two Karloff Frankenstein movies should be required viewing for any horror fan.

For a few of my personal favs, I'd add Poltergeist, The Mist, Evil Dead 2 (the original) and pretty much anything by Romero off the top of my head.

About War of the Worlds: you mean you didn't like the stellar acting of Tom Cruise in the remake?
"Check the solenoid!" :pound:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jakedog56 did you see this gem that just got added to Netflix???

Zombeavers-Poster.jpeg

:pound: :pound:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headin to see the new Poltergeist tonight... I'll get a review up sometime over the weekend