• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if posted/discussed. Really fired up for Lore on Amazon (starts Friday).

Also intrigued by this one, based off Stephen King works:

I think I've seen Lore mentioned before, not sure if it was here or elsewhere. I'm currently on the first episode and the narration is so unbearable it's hard to get into the show so far. I went to see if it'd be the same for every episode and it is. Most surprising of that revelation is the series is based off of a podcast and the narrator is the host of said podcast. I can't see how this is possible, the guy sounds like one of those bad computer text to speech programs.

Was hoping this would be a good Friday the 13th binge, not getting a warm fuzzy off of this start.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So!

Even though I have never played golf in my life, I must ask for a mulligan.

Having watched Alien:Covenant sporadically, I commented prematurely.

Had the time to watch it from start to finish today, uninterrupted.

This movie is brilliant. The pacing (which I mistakenly called slow) is perfect for establishing both characterization and story line.

When the horror begins...it never ends, perhaps not even with the end of the movie. I am sometimes prone to hyperbole, but I must say that I am hard pressed to find a Ridley Scott movie that I enjoyed more. It is that good.

Perhaps a few quibbles...I was reminded a bit too much of one of Sigourney Weaver's signature lines during the climax, although I also got the clear feeling it was done out of reverence.

My other quibble? I couldn't help but picture Danny McBride as one of these characters:

james-franco-danny-mcbride-your-highness_hnnbiv.jpg

2c67f8c25944cdd621ff74ce2c69da82--danny-mcbride-music-tv.jpg
:pound::pound::pound:

So many questions about the timeline and way too many spoilers to discuss the movie presently, I think...however, I have a feeling we'll be doing that in the future.

The Alien saga has taken on a legendary status now.

In my humble opinion, of course.

And the BoobMeter never even raised a nipple. ;)

I had a chance to watch this tonight. It was a very good movie, fit in nicely with the Alien saga.....

As for Danny McBride, I couldn't help but think wtf was he's jealous of Woody Harrelson in Zombieland as Tallahassee???? Friggin Tennessee....McBride please!!!!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a chance to watch this tonight. It was a very good movie, fit in nicely with the Alien saga.....

As for Danny McBride, I couldn't help but think wtf was he's jealous of Woody Harrelson in Zombieland as Tallahassee???? Friggin Tennessee....McBride please!!!!

Yes, I still don't comprehend the negative backlash for this movie.

I agree that McBride was a bit of an odd casting choice, and the movie was not perfect by any stretch but Fassbender was great and the Xenomorphs for friggin spectacular.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Babysitter (2017) on Netflix. It held my interest. Decent story. Decently executed. Decent death scenes. No nudity. 5.5/10

Also watched Final Girls. The story had so much potential, but it felt like they let it get away from them. So much more they could have done, but the premise was original and made this worth watching. Gore was ok. Very nice casting job with quite a few recognizable characters. 6/10

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched 3 today:

Morgan (2016)
Morgan.jpg

The Skinny:
Kid is genetically engineered from birth, becomes amazing, then becomes a possible threat; a team of cannon fodder (oops, I mean scientists) is dispatched to check things out. The kid is not pleased.

My Take: I have to give it a "meh". Pretty much on the level of a tv show and I picked up on the twist ending quickly enough; that said, it was entertaining just enough to keep me watching.

Contracted (2013)
273552_056.jpg

The Skinny: Nice girl gets drugged and raped by an asshole who also happens to be the carrier of a zombie-making STD.

My Take: Once I got past that first part, I must say that this was one grisly, disturbing, creepy-ass movie. This was a worthy addition to the zombie genre, and not just for the virus twist. I really enjoyed the ending, kind of a tribute to the Romero films with maybe a little 28 Days Later thrown in. I understand a sequel was released in 2015. Gonna have to check it out.

And finally, we have...

Cell (2016)
cell-ss2.jpg

The Skinny: A signal is sent to cell phones everywhere and turns phone users into either zombies or homicidal maniacs, depending on your POV (lol, I think you know where my POV is headed. ;)) John Cusack embarks on a journey to find his estranged wife and son.

My Take: Not one of my favorite King books to begin with, although I did like the idea; it just came off like a quickie to me, and I was disappointed in my favorite author. However, I digress; Cusack and Jackson are two of my favorite actors, this movie should be a slam dunk, right?

Wrong.

Derivative, and not in a good way. Think the worst of King's movie adaptations, throw in some World War Z Hollywood crap, and grab a little Invasion of the Body Snatchers just for good measure. The "twist" ending was just horrible and a total cop-out.

Seriously, if this movie had been done 10 or 15 years ago, it might've had some impact, even with the bad ending.
Now?
Where's my damn phone, anyway? I've got some calls to make! ;)

Last edited:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched 3 today:

Morgan (2016)
Morgan.jpg

The Skinny:
Kid is genetically engineered from birth, becomes amazing, then becomes a possible threat; a team of cannon fodder (oops, I mean scientists) is dispatched to check things out. The kid is not pleased.

My Take: I have to give it a "meh". Pretty much on the level of a tv show and I picked up on the twist ending quickly enough; that said, it was entertaining just enough to keep me watching.

Contracted (2013)
273552_056.jpg

The Skinny: Nice girl gets drugged and raped by an asshole who also happens to be the carrier of a zombie-making STD.

My Take: Once I got past that first part, I must say that this was one grisly, disturbing, creepy-ass movie. This was a worthy addition to the zombie genre, and not just for the virus twist. I really enjoyed the ending, kind of a tribute to the Romero films with maybe a little 28 Days Later thrown in. I understand a sequel was released in 2015. Gonna have to check it out.

And finally, we have...

Cell (2016)
cell-ss2.jpg

The Skinny: A signal is sent to cell phones everywhere and turns phone users into either zombies or homicidal maniacs, depending on your POV (lol, I think you know where my POV is headed. ;)) John Cusack embarks on a journey to find his estranged wife and son.

My Take: Not one of my favorite King books to begin with, although I did like the idea; it just came off like a quickie to me, and I was disappointed in my favorite author. However, I digress; Cusack and Jackson are two of my favorite actors, this movie should be a slam dunk, right?

Wrong.

Derivative, and not in a good way. Think the worst of King's movie adaptations, throw in some World War Z Hollywood crap, and grab a little Invasion of the Body Snatchers just for good measure. The "twist" ending was just horrible and a total cop-out.

Seriously, if this movie had been done 10 or 15 years ago, it might've had some impact, even with the bad ending.
Now?
Where's my damn phone, anyway? I've got some calls to make! ;)

I liked Morgan ok. Basically a lower budget version of Deus Ex with a bit more horror tossed in. Not great but good.

Haven't seen Contracted but it sounds good. On the must see list now.

As far as Cell, certainly not the best King movie at all. The opening scene was good despite poor cgi but downhill from there. But not the worst King out there. Watch Dreamcatcher or The Mangler and get back to me. But yes it is not good and Cusak and Jackson are essentially wasted.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Morgan ok. Basically a lower budget version of Deus Ex with a bit more horror tossed in. Not great but good.

Haven't seen Contracted but it sounds good. On the must see list now.

As far as Cell, certainly not the best King movie at all. The opening scene was good despite poor cgi but downhill from there. But not the worst King out there. Watch Dreamcatcher or The Mangler and get back to me. But yes it is not good and Cusak and Jackson are essentially wasted.

Yep, seen 'em both...not to mention Silver Bullet and this classic:

dba0676d539c9d58e049dc7a00bc8aad.jpg
:pound::pound::pound:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda sad about Dreamcatchers, btw. I had high hopes for that one.

I even had my Scooby and the Gang lunch box ready to go to work! :D:D:D

7bd44f617401200557e85887d2150c46--scooby-doo-cartoon-people.jpg

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Zombies Halloween was a steaming pile of gerbil shit!

Emo Michael Meyers? Fucking horrid.

Another joke was Wolf Creek.

If you can't make us give two shits about the main characters, how we supposed to care when they get killed off?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Zombie as a director has been a bit disappointing to me. The over the top horror and gore are ok but his insistence at trying to make disgusting, vile bad guys into sympathetic characters in every movie is just stupid.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Zombies Halloween was a steaming pile of gerbil shit!

Emo Michael Meyers? Fucking horrid.

Another joke was Wolf Creek.

If you can't make us give two shits about the main characters, how we supposed to care when they get killed off?
You say that, but did you see Zombies Halloween 2? Makes his Halloween great. He turned Loomis into a fame seeking whore.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Zombie as a director has been a bit disappointing to me. The over the top horror and gore are ok but his insistence at trying to make disgusting, vile bad guys into sympathetic characters in every movie is just stupid.
House of 1,000 was fine, I enjoyed it. Rejects was good enough as well, but really every movie he turned out starting from his first has been worse than the one before it. I say that as never having gotten through Lords of Salem after trying to watch it 4 times. And never bothering to watch his next two films.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will, but I like me some Maximum Overdrive and Silver Bullet. I don't recall much of the dreamcatcher, but I liked the cast enough.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on a roll! Just watched:

Maniac (2013)
v1.aDsxMDE3Nzc7ajsxNzUwNjsxMjAwOzM2MDA7MjM5NQ

The Skinny:
Elijah Wood plays a repressed dude with mommy issues who basically turns into Jack the Ripper.

My take: Elijah Wood is either a brilliant actor or a messed up dude...or maybe both; in any event, this movie is well written, well acted, bloody, gory, and certainly worth a watch. I did a little research and found that this is a remake of a 1980s movie with the same name (directed by William Lustig), which is held in high regard. I shall check it out.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will, but I like me some Maximum Overdrive and Silver Bullet. I don't recall much of the dreamcatcher, but I liked the cast enough.

Well, to each their own; the first two (plus The Mangler) were bad enough to be fun; unfortunately for Dreamcatcher, it just falls into the category with Cell as being bad and no fun. Imho, of course.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I do try to go horror heavy during October I have seen a few that I haven't commented on. Where they fall on the spectrum of being a horror movie could be up to interpretation.

The Horde (La Horde) 2009. Zombie movie shot in an apartment complex when a drug bust happens during a zombie apocalypse. can they work together? pretty meh overall.

When a Stranger Calls Back - I watched this on amazon prime with their Rifftrax version, I know I mentioned watching them before, but I like the MSTK3 crew doing their thing. Even if a movie would be bad, it makes it enjoyable.

The Woman in Black (1989) - After watching this, I'm glad they did a remake with Harry Potter. Was a shit movie. The Dan Rad version is the one to see if you haven't.

Maléfique (2002) - 4 cats of different backgrounds share a prison cell and an occult book pops up. I enjoyed it. Though, I have a soft spot for the stuff, if you're cool with subtitles and occult, check it out.

Gerald's Game - I think someone mentioned it here and I added my thought to it. Worth a watch.

Alien 3 - I never saw it before. Can't say I cared for it. I say that knowing I fell asleep during it. And I know I did because I also watched...

Alien Resurrection - Certainly came out better than 3. Had me wondering what the hell happened to Ripley. That being said, I watched it late last night and still fell asleep before the end. I did like the cast throughout, though.

Cold Prey 2 (Fritt vilt II) - If you haven't seen the first Cold Prey, I'd recommend it. Again, need to be fine with subtitles. If you have seen it and haven't seen Cold Prey 2, I wouldn't recommend it. They pretty much went for Halloween 2 (the original).

The Collector (The Butterfly Collector) 1965 - Was in a horror list I saw, so I watched it. Can't argue with it's inclusion, guy stalks a girl and kidnaps her hoping she'll fall for him. That's the first 10 minutes, so i don't think i'm giving the storyline away.

Suicide Club (2001) - Japanese flick. I won't say anything. It drew me in from the start, slows down. But makes you want to stay with it.

The Black Room (2016) - Has Lin Shaye in it. I have to say, I first remember here from King Pin in 1996, nothing after that. Then boom, Insidious. Now it seems like she's in every horror movie made. That being said, they start out with some creepiness before trying to go full raunch/camp with a succubus/incubus, which kind of worked, but if that's what they were going for, could have been done better.

The Babysitter (2017) - We've all seen the trailer, if nothing else. It's a flick you can watch and is enjoyable. Feel like they could have made it a lot better. Watching the trailer I was hoping for something close to Cabin in the Woods. It was nothing like that, but I was hoping for something in that realm. The perfect anti-halloween, movie. and when i say halloween, i mean michael myers.

Cult of Chucky (2017) - I think I may have missed the last one or two in this franchise. It was a mess. I won't even go into what they went for. I hate to critique this movie, we know what a chucky movie is. but knowing what a franchise is and the direction it went, there was nothing good about this one. I mean, I like me some Leprechaun in the Hood and Back 2 the Hood.

Don't Kill It (2016) - Dolph Lundgren I'm a demon killer that's going to walk in here like a cowboy and tell you something vaguely with no context and know you'll try and lock me up mr. law enforcement man, and i'll let you do it. but you'll be back... terrible. that being said, his accent was pretty good (I mean better than what he was working with). Still amazes me he's an actual genius.

Boys in the Trees (2016) - Australian movie, not as much a horror movie as a coming of age movie that takes place on Halloween. I really enjoyed it myself. I would recommend it. Good watch. It's on netflix now.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to each their own; the first two (plus The Mangler) were bad enough to be fun; unfortunately for Dreamcatcher, it just falls into the category with Cell as being bad and no fun. Imho, of course.
I've never seen Cell. Actually I never heard of it before today. When I saw you mention Cell here, I thought you were referring to The Cell, with J-Lo. I was going to say, if nothing else the visuals were great (and I don't mean J-Lo).

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part of Maximum Overdrive was the soundtrack! Nice AC/DC going on.

I really hated Dreamcatcher most out of all of the King movies. My description (as discussed on these boards previously) is to take every Stephen King plot and character ever done, blend them together into an incomprehensible mess, and serve raw. Horrible movie based on one of King's laziest efforts, probably written at the height of his cocaine addiction.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first two are certainly fun and that's why I liked them, but I would add onto silver bullet, while
Everett McGill sounds like a sweet guy in real life, guy just oozes scary in the roles where he was asked to.