• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Hokie potential Offensive Coach Tracker

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that with the Drew Harris situation it is safe to say that Edmunds will (and should) be given the shot at RB this spring. It would be great if we could have him at LB..but if he is as good as they say and possibly the next KJ...then he needs to stay at RB. Honestly, I am not sure about the fixation that Harris is going to be the next great thing. Give both of them a go and best man wins the job, the way it should be. I don't think that Gregory and Holmes is the answer going into this season. JC has some serious talent but may fall back into a situational/slot/3rd down guy. There is not a proven every down back on the roster right now. I think Edmunds and Harris (who isn't even on the roster) may be the only ones that could be that guy. I really wish that Derrick Green was going to put on the VT hat Saturday..

If VT can't run the ball any better than they did this year, Edmunds could make 30 tackles a game at LB..and we would still lose.

I agree there but i disagree with the rest. The problem with running the ball wasn't really the RBs. The OL opened 0 holes. Our only success was running off the edge on Duke. If the OL can open a few seams, Coleman, Gregory, Holmes, Mangus, Edmunds, or Harris will be able to get the yards. It won't matter as much who is carrying the ball if there is a hole there.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree there but i disagree with the rest. The problem with running the ball wasn't really the RBs. The OL opened 0 holes. Our only success was running off the edge on Duke. If the OL can open a few seams, Coleman, Gregory, Holmes, Mangus, Edmunds, or Harris will be able to get the yards. It won't matter as much who is carrying the ball if there is a hole there.

I think you go a too far there. A lot is on the line, but not everything.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you go a too far there. A lot is on the line, but not everything.

If there is a hole there, any RB can get 3-5 yards with the chance to break it longer. The better the RB, the more 10 yard and 20 yard plays we get.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If there is a hole there, any RB can get 3-5 yards with the chance to break it longer. The better the RB, the more 10 yard and 20 yard plays we get.

if he can see/find the hole. When our guys actually did open holes the RB's sometimes had trouble finding them.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a gross oversimplification, and not strictly true. How big was the hole? How long was it open? Was the RB quick enough in seeing it? Was he quick enough in getting there? Did he pick the right/best hole? Was he patient when the hole took time to develop? RBs miss holes, don't get there in time, etc. They don't just always get 3-5 yards anytime there's a hole, regardless of their ability.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The zone reaching technique Grimes and Leoffler use will actually put more reading on the FB it seems a lot of the time and the RB follows the FB. Guys like Holmes and Coleman and even Gregory could be the better option in the zone reach blocking because they have the experience and the game will have slowed down for them more (in theory) and will let the play develop where Edmunds or Harris coming in never seeing the field before at VT will likely be more anxious and less patient.

My point is that if the OL performs well, whoever the RB is will perform well in the end.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harris screwed it all up by not qualifying. Even going through only the spring practice would have had him ready for the season but noooo. Now I think they have to use Edmunds at RB because Grimes can't fix the shitty mess Newsome left instantly. The real problem though is Beamer for hiring and retaining some old, nearly worthless coaches that couldn't recruit and turned the O-line into pure crap. It should've never gotten as bad as it did with the RB and O-line situation in 2012 where Holmes was the #1 guy going in and JC was not redshirted. Beamer must've looked at the wins and rushing totals and justified keeping Newsome around that way I guess

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harris screwed it all up by not qualifying. Even going through only the spring practice would have had him ready for the season but noooo. Now I think they have to use Edmunds at RB because Grimes can't fix the shitty mess Newsome left instantly. The real problem though is Beamer for hiring and retaining some old, nearly worthless coaches that couldn't recruit and turned the O-line into pure crap. It should've never gotten as bad as it did with the RB and O-line situation in 2012 where Holmes was the #1 guy going in and JC was not redshirted. Beamer must've looked at the wins and rushing totals and justified keeping Newsome around that way I guess

Why are you still here?

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I feel good about Grimes, Moorehead, and Loeffler as a QB coach. Not so much about Loeffler as an OC

hokieone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel good about Grimes, Moorehead, and Loeffler as a QB coach. Not so much about Loeffler as an OC

I'm not a coach, but if the line play improves with Grimes, the WR play improves with Morehead, and the QB play improves with Loeffler, generally the OC all of a sudden becomes a much better play caller and expotentially more successful.

In the end, it's ultimately about how the players execute what they are taught on the field.

As for Beamer and the old coaches, get over it already. Behind us. History in a book that is now closed. I wonder how in the heck you don't run into every obstacle in your way with your eyes facing squarely backwards all the time.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a gross oversimplification, and not strictly true. How big was the hole? How long was it open? Was the RB quick enough in seeing it? Was he quick enough in getting there? Did he pick the right/best hole? Was he patient when the hole took time to develop? RBs miss holes, don't get there in time, etc. They don't just always get 3-5 yards anytime there's a hole, regardless of their ability.

I agree that the line takes some of the blame, but the RBs take plenty too. I know we are talking apples and oranges a little bit here..but look at the Redskins. The same pitiful line they had last year, played much much better this year. But do they get all the credit for the superb rookie season Alfred Morris had? I think not. I think the Skins got a solid RB in the draft. Morris IMHO made the line look better than they really are. Just my take.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Press conference for new coaches gong on right now on hokiesports.com

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. OK I am a fan of coach Grimes. Bud Foster of the offense. His type of attitude is right for our program.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like what i'm hearing from Grimes