• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla 2017 Draft

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Nosferatu was looking for a GM for the Steelers.

I will do it. I will need a support staff to help me keep a pool of players ready...anybody that wants input, has input. It was fun LY, should be fun again.

Thanks.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh the good ol' WAR ROOM! We meet again!

I can be of service! When I'm around, and if you'll want it, of course. Love to help out with these. Nos does a great job with it.

Thanks @Nosferatu for giving us arm-chair-GM-ing mock-heads an outlet! We support you! :suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think the 10th the draft starts but if past history means anything 30th won't pick on the 1st day.

So far in my prep work I have logged all of the picks.

1st...30
2nd...62
3rd...94
3rd...105 comp pick
4th...135
5th...173
6th...214
7th...249

If anyone comes up with something different than those picking slot let me know.

I will be leaning on @FaCe-LeE-uS a lot via DM. He does as much or more homework on college players around this time. Anyone else that want to be in that DM chain let me of Face know. I expect to have a pool of players for the 1st two rds this evening...any names we need to add or remove from that list...just speak up.

Of course the needs are improve pass rush and 3rd down DEF.

Edge rusher
Slot CB or dual CB
ILB
SS
RB
TE
QB

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill surely post somet things......i look at college prospects alot, just dont post it

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers at LSU pro day today...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops... Posted that LSU crap in the wrong thread :doh:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill surely post somet things......i look at college prospects alot, just dont post it
Very cool...I'm going to DM you the XL sheet you might have some input. Face has seen it...we're pretty much ready for round one, but any insight you might have is welcome.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With one draft pick remaining, I just wanted to bring the Steeler Nation up to speed on the 2017 NFL SportsHoopla mock draft.

Obviously just for fun, but these mocks take a fair amount of effort to at least have a realistic and respectable showing. Thanks to Face & Steeler Pride for help making this happen. You can draw your own conclusion of the results, but I really think Colbert/Tomlin would do well to match this.

Round 1…30. Takk McKinley, OLB, UCLA…this kid is a great blend of size and speed for the position. 6’2” 250, he might not be the most polished pass rusher right now, but he’s explosive, he can play in space and fly off the edge. A yr under Deebo’s tutelage he should be ready to take over the ROLB spot full-time in ’18.

Round 2…62, Jourdan Lewis, CB, MICH…5’10”, 188. We really wanted Jarrad Davis in this roud, but it was always going to require a big trade up. He went to DEN at 51. Many scouts feel Lewis is the most ready slot defender in this draft. His DV issue has been researched and has a good possibility of being dropped. We think there is a strong chance he pushes Golson and Gay for the slot job.

Round 3…94, Eddie Jackson, FS, Alabama…6’ 201, this is a ball hawking type S. Former CB for 2 seasons at Bama, he’s above avg in coverage. I can see him getting snaps early as the 3rd pkg player taking Vince Williams off the field. A role that Robert Golden simply could not fill. I also see him as the long term FS taking over for Mitchell.

Round 3…105, Wayne Gallman, RB, CLEM…6’, 215, similar build to Bell, tallish RB with good burst and enough speed to finish at the house. Has some wiggle but also some power. Good backup option to Bell who is not yet locked up long term.

Round 4…135, Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU…6’2”, 245. At this point in the draft he represented BPA and with Timmons departure, this was a depth need at the very least. VW, is 27…Matakavich is the only other ILB with much experience. Beckwith is a true Buck LB…coming off an ACL or he’s likely a 2nd round pick.

Round 5…155, Shaquille Griffin, CB, UCF…6’, 194. This may have been our coup of the draft orchestrated by Face. We traded our 5th rd pick, #173 and 6th rd pick, #213 for the 155th pick and nabbed this kid. I think if he went to a larger school, he’s at worst a 2nd rd pick. Big, physical, and fast, ran a 4.3 at the combine. We think he provides immediate competition for Cockrell and likely unseats him in ‘18

Round 7…248…TBD, at this point we’re wide open for the last pick. We did not take a QB, but the only real opportunity that was not a huge reach was Peterman from PITT…we left him on the board to take Beckwith.

It will be interesting to see how this goes in real life

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I'd reiterate what I said in our PM discussion... This has to be the sexiest mock that we have ever done.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With one draft pick remaining, I just wanted to bring the Steeler Nation up to speed on the 2017 NFL SportsHoopla mock draft.

Obviously just for fun, but these mocks take a fair amount of effort to at least have a realistic and respectable showing. Thanks to Face & Steeler Pride for help making this happen. You can draw your own conclusion of the results, but I really think Colbert/Tomlin would do well to match this.

Round 1…30. Takk McKinley, OLB, UCLA…this kid is a great blend of size and speed for the position. 6’2” 250, he might not be the most polished pass rusher right now, but he’s explosive, he can play in space and fly off the edge. A yr under Deebo’s tutelage he should be ready to take over the ROLB spot full-time in ’18.

Round 2…62, Jourdan Lewis, CB, MICH…5’10”, 188. We really wanted Jarrad Davis in this roud, but it was always going to require a big trade up. He went to DEN at 51. Many scouts feel Lewis is the most ready slot defender in this draft. His DV issue has been researched and has a good possibility of being dropped. We think there is a strong chance he pushes Golson and Gay for the slot job.

Round 3…94, Eddie Jackson, FS, Alabama…6’ 201, this is a ball hawking type S. Former CB for 2 seasons at Bama, he’s above avg in coverage. I can see him getting snaps early as the 3rd pkg player taking Vince Williams off the field. A role that Robert Golden simply could not fill. I also see him as the long term FS taking over for Mitchell.

Round 3…105, Wayne Gallman, RB, CLEM…6’, 215, similar build to Bell, tallish RB with good burst and enough speed to finish at the house. Has some wiggle but also some power. Good backup option to Bell who is not yet locked up long term.

Round 4…135, Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU…6’2”, 245. At this point in the draft he represented BPA and with Timmons departure, this was a depth need at the very least. VW, is 27…Matakavich is the only other ILB with much experience. Beckwith is a true Buck LB…coming off an ACL or he’s likely a 2nd round pick.

Round 5…155, Shaquille Griffin, CB, UCF…6’, 194. This may have been our coup of the draft orchestrated by Face. We traded our 5th rd pick, #173 and 6th rd pick, #213 for the 155th pick and nabbed this kid. I think if he went to a larger school, he’s at worst a 2nd rd pick. Big, physical, and fast, ran a 4.3 at the combine. We think he provides immediate competition for Cockrell and likely unseats him in ‘18

Round 7…248…TBD, at this point we’re wide open for the last pick. We did not take a QB, but the only real opportunity that was not a huge reach was Peterman from PITT…we left him on the board to take Beckwith.

It will be interesting to see how this goes in real life
Great writeup ATL! :suds:

Always a pleasure participating in these mocks together. Thanks for driving the ship for us!

1.30 - McKinley... You've said it before, but the most important thing to think about with all the other edge prospects that were available at this slot (Harris & Watt realistically) is they are limited in coverage. Gone are the days of Lebeau's 3-4 OLB's. We are seeing edge guys dropped back more often so having the most athletically gifted prospect on the edge gives them the highest upside for success. It'll take time for him to groom, but he's almost the same sort of freak of nature that Dupree is in terms of size & speed. Gotta have it!

2.62 - Lewis
... Really bummed we missed out on Davis, but the price was steep & this pick was a no-brainer given the need & BPA. As we know, they need upgrades at both the Buck ILB (V-Will) & slot CB (Gay, Golson), and seeing as how the drop-off for BPA at ILB was fairly sharp after Davis, it made Lewis an easy grab.

3.94 - Jackson... Somewhat inconsistent pool we had going this round. But the way the draft developed we ultimately felt Jackson would give us a faster turnaround for meaningful contributions. Also worth noting that my ILB's in this pool had Kendell Beckwith, of whom we were able to grab 41 picks later! Ultimately found out that we were absolutely right to wait on it!

3.105 - Gallman... Had our eyes on him at this spot from the beginning. And just so happened that he was BPA at RB at this exact pick. Marlon Mack was taken by GB at 93. There wasn't much discussion necessary.

4.135 - Beckwith... Great grab. Nothing in his rehab indicates any setbacks. Likely would start the season on PUP wherever he goes, but could expect him to get in some sort of participation around midseason. Also worth mentioning that Steven Johnson was resigned so there is another ILB option outside of V-Will & Dirty Red. Questionable depth at best, so throwing in a draft pick makes sense. After missing out on Davis this was the right call. Another player we looked at was Jayon Brown from UCLA.

5.155 - Griffin... Been loving this kid's upside ever since the combine. Sadly that's what got him noticed and he won't likely be around after the 3rd Rd. Luckily for us he went overlooked in this mock. I had my eyes on both Griffin & Howard Wilson from Houston. Wilson went at the top of the 4th, so I didn't think there was any chance Griffin would fall. As soon as I saw he slipped into the 5th Rd I set ATL on the trade path. 4 CB's went after Wilson, before we traded up. Still scratching my head over how he slipped past those picks. Corn Elder & Jalen Myrick were decent picks, but Brendan Langley & Damontae Kazee over Griffin? No chance! We won big on this pick.

7.248 - TBD... Wide open. Going to have to wait & see.

Again... Love this mock. It may not produce the immediate returns that most want, but realistically its not much of a possibility given the pick position & draft needs. This draft gives them some of the best results that they could hope for. Still preparing myself for a Rd 1-3 stab (TE, QB, WR). I see the reasoning, but I still don't want any part of those positions outside of TE. Even then I still think a TE at 30 isn't much of a reality given BPA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers 2017 Pre Draft Visit Tracker - Steelers Depot

The Steelers traditionally draft along the lines of their 30 visits...at least position wise.

Looking at the link, the one position they might be taking more interest in that we did was WR.

Obviously there are some names we drafted in our mock, but I hope they're able to get Josh Jones, S from NC St...I do like Eddie Jackson from Bama, but this kid has potential to be a beast.

As far as OLBs goes...imo Takk will be gone in the real draft before 30...considering Bryant and Bell to a degree, I'm surprised they brought in Tim Williams, but he would scare me in the 1st round.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Tim Williams love in the league. Doesn't look like a first rounder to me when I watch him play. Stats aren't that good either.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Tim Williams love in the league. Doesn't look like a first rounder to me when I watch him play. Stats aren't that good either.
I think one of the most questionable things about him, aside from the off-field issues, is he was a part-time player only used in pass rush situation. If he was a sure-fire 1st round talent, then wouldn't he have been on the field 90% of the snaps?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the most questionable things about him, aside from the off-field issues, is he was a part-time player only used in pass rush situation. If he was a sure-fire 1st round talent, then wouldn't he have been on the field 90% of the snaps?
Yep. Couldn't agree more. Maybe it's an Alabama thing. I keep hearing that Ardarius Stewart is a top WR but just didn't get the looks. Well... why didn't he get the looks? And the same questions surround OJ Howard too as far as production does.

But Tim Williams just doesn't do anything for me. Honestly, I don't even want him in the second round (although I could live with it there).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Couldn't agree more. Maybe it's an Alabama thing. I keep hearing that Ardarius Stewart is a top WR but just didn't get the looks. Well... why didn't he get the looks? And the same questions surround OJ Howard too as far as production does.

But Tim Williams just doesn't do anything for me. Honestly, I don't even want him in the second round (although I could live with it there).
2nd Rd is his ceiling for me. I heard he had troubles grasping the playbook which was one of the reasons that kept him off the field so much. That's another big red flag. His off-field issues will kick him out of the 1st round. A team would be stupid to draft him that high. If the Steelers don't grab an edge guy in the 1st, then guys like Williams, Bowser & Willis definitely come into play in the 2nd. Seeing the amount of attention the Steelers have been giving him, I fear they may try to trade up in the 2nd to grab him.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I'd reiterate what I said in our PM discussion... This has to be the sexiest mock that we have ever done.

That's not what they guys at the Blue Oyster have told us!!!!

:suds: