• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holy shit

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Santana to the Phillies on a 3 year/$60 million dollar contract, with a $17.5 million option for a 4th year. I honestly did not expect a move like this in the slightest. This really caught me by surprise.

At first glance, it's an interesting move, although kind of confusing. 3 years and $60 million isn't that bad, and you knew the Phillies were going to have to overpay to bring talent to their team via free agency. Most people had Santana pegged for around 3 years/$45 million, so an extra 5 million a year isn't bad (it doesn't shape out exactly like that because the contract is front-loaded, but that's the general point).

There could be concerns about signing a 32 year old (in early April 2018) power hitting first baseman for a lot of money (reading about Retro and lard-ass for nearly 4 seasons was bad enough the first time). Obviously this is very different, because 3 years is very reasonable. I'm actually glad that Santana took a higher AAV than a longer contract. Also, Santana looks to age gracefully. He obviously doesn't rely on speed, which is the biggest thing for players when they fall off. What's most important is that he walks a ton. From 2011-2017 (the first year Santana received regular playing time), Santana is 3rd in all of baseball in BB% among qualified hitters, at 15.0%. Only Jose Bautista (15.6%) and Joey Votto (18.1%) walk more. From 2015-2017, among qualified hitters, he's 4th in all of baseball in pitches seen. Goldschmidt, Votto, and Dozier are the only guys ahead of him.

The obvious issue is that Hoskins is going to have to go back to left field. I'm fine with that- defense in LF isn't a paramount concern to me, except that that means that Altherr must be the odd man out. Odubel will be in center field, and I would imagine that RF will be Nick Williams' to lose. I also would be ok with this- but I would want to trade Altherr (or Nick Williams, or hell, even Herrera). I (personally) think that any of those three are too talented to be a 4th outfielder, but more importantly; I think the league values them all too much to have them sit on the bench. Williams and Altherr are still young and under club control for a long time, and Odubel has a pretty friendly contract, especially if you are looking for a comfortably above average CF for the future.

I did not expect this at all, but my initial reaction is that it's a good deal. Our offense is looking better and better, though I expect our pitching to still really suck, which is ok for this year.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even more shocking was that this was posted to the Padres board!

I like it mainly in the fact that this shows the team is shifting the paradigm. It is like a poor man's version of the Jim Thome signing and is the first big free agent since Cliff Lee as far as I can remember. Hoskins to LF is fine. I wonder if they have a plan for the odd man out at all. Or I suppose there is a small chance that they have other plans for Hoskins such as a trade for Machado.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even more shocking was that this was posted to the Padres board!

I like it mainly in the fact that this shows the team is shifting the paradigm. It is like a poor man's version of the Jim Thome signing and is the first big free agent since Cliff Lee as far as I can remember. Hoskins to LF is fine. I wonder if they have a plan for the odd man out at all. Or I suppose there is a small chance that they have other plans for Hoskins such as a trade for Machado.
I actually thought about the Thome signing while I was posting the OP. It's certainly not the same circumstances, and Carlos Santana is no Jim Thome.

I don't like throwing large money at big players to show commitment and/or attract other free agents later if the deal doesn't make sense. But this deal does make sense at the moment.

A lot of people justify bad contracts given from a franchise who has struggled a lot recently by saying "Look at the Jayson Werth contract!" If you actually look at it, he had very little to do with their success. The Nats signed Werth to his 7 year/$126 million contract in the 2010 offseason. He was still receiving money on that contract this year (with a 88 wRC+ in 289 PA no less). Now, granted, the Nats did become good for the first time in their history with Werth, but obviously correlation does not prove causation. Werth was mediocre in 2011 (100 wRC+ in 649 PA, 2.3 WAR), was hurt in 2012, then put up two really good (though not superstar level) seasons in 2013 and 2014. He was never good for them again. He put up a combined 0.3 WAR in his last 3 years in 1,273 PA. (Just for fun, Ryan Howard, in his last 3 years with the Phillies, put up a combined -1.7 WAR, in 1,513 PA.)

My point is, the Nats have been good from 2012-present because of Harper, Zimmerman, Desmond, Strasburg, and Scherzer, amongst others. Harper, Zimmerman, Desmond, and Strasburg were all drafted. Scherzer was signed in 2015, long after they had first had success.

(Also, for all that success, they've still never been to an NLCS:D)

I rambled a lot here, but my point remains that bad contracts are bad contracts, but the Carlos Santana/Phillies deal is a good contract.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they probably end up trading Williams or Altherr for pitching. It's good to see them going more for high obp guys. I see Santana as a Pat Burrell type of player. People will bitch about his low batting average and say he's not "clutch" because he'll take walks instead of swinging at garbage and racking up RBIs but just like Burrell and Werth, he will make the players around him in the lineup better.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies' Will Middlebrooks: Inks NRI deal with Phillies

The rich get richer!!! Nice knowin' ya, Fraudco!
Good to see the Phillies finally flip the calendar from 1946 and get with the program on the whole diversity thing. I don't see what our love affair with the Hispanics are, especially when most of them aren't even that good. Cesar, Franco, Herrera.... I heard they even signed some washed-up guitar player from the '70s to play first base!

Weirdly enough, Middlebrooks' name isn't mentioned in any articles talking about prominent members of the NRI culture. Wouldn't surprise me if Klentak and co. are trying to have Middlebrooks "pass" to artificially boost their numbers.

Non-resident Indian and person of Indian origin - Wikipedia

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahatma Middlebrooks projects for a bounce back season.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Will just took my order when I went out for a late-night treat. Real humble, down-to-earth person. It's like the guy isn't even famous
dunkin_zala.jpg

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why am I suddenly hungry? What is that place?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why am I suddenly hungry? What is that place?
It looks like he has the "State Farm Insurance" logo on his shirt. So it's probably State Farm

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like he has the "State Farm Insurance" logo on his shirt. So it's probably State Farm
Nah, that's from his other job. NRIs always have 3 to 5 jobs. He was a neurosurgeon before he came here

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies are on a roll with the NRI's. Reports indicate the team is talking with Elizabeth Warren and the guy from Slumdog Millionaire to sign and shore up the back end of the rotation.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's dead.

The butt-hurt is real about you posting this in the wrong place, huh? :pound:
Actually, we've all been posting here because @Cedrique has an autistic brother with prostate cancer and he asked us to post here as part of his Make-A-Wish Foundation thing.

Who feels like the dick now?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, we've all been posting here because @Cedrique has an autistic brother with prostate cancer and he asked us to post here as part of his Make-A-Wish Foundation thing.

Who feels like the dick now?
Actually the Wish was to go to San Diego to see a Phillies Padres game but I sold the tickets to fund a trip to A.C. and ended up losing all the money. Nevertheless, he does appreciate you posting here.....

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Wish was to go to San Diego to see a Phillies Padres game but I sold the tickets to fund a trip to A.C. and ended up losing all the money. Nevertheless, he does appreciate you posting here.....
WTF. I understand ripping him off and scalping the tickets, but house always wins man. That money could have been put towards a good cause, like vaccine-autism research or something

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF. I understand ripping him off and scalping the tickets, but house always wins man. That money could have been put towards a good cause, like vaccine-autism research or something
First of all, it's just the cancer and it's colon not prostate. And B, I didn't say he was autistic I said he was artistic (once did a water color of a crack house in Marcus Hook that was almost lifelike) and 3, he came with me on the A.C. trip. In fact, we were up a couple grand when he got rolled by a couple of "working girls".

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, it's just the cancer and it's colon not prostate. And B, I didn't say he was autistic I said he was artistic (once did a water color of a crack house in Marcus Hook that was almost lifelike) and 3, he came with me on the A.C. trip. In fact, we were up a couple grand when he got rolled by a couple of "working girls".
Yeah, the tricks out in AC know their business. I once wrote a column while I was with 'Atlantic City Weekly' on the very topic-

"Go to 'TER' (The Erotic Review), and look on there to see what the highest rated prostitutes are in the area.

It'll show their height, weight, age, ethnicity, hair color, price, customer reviews, etc. Look for ones that have a lot of reviews, like 10 or more reviews preferably, the bigger the sample size the better, since it's less likely that the prostitute just wrote all of her own reviews to falsely advertise. Also look to see if they all seem like they are written by the same person, or if the writing styles are different from review to review, etc. It even has a category where they mark whether or not the hooker was the same chick as was advertised in her online photo, so, if you see one that has a lot of reviews confirming it's really her, then chances are you'll get what you see.

The good ones tend to start at around $500, although there are exceptions (I once got a legitimately hot one for just $400, although this was a fairly lucky catch imo). Also, don't assume that just because one is $900 that she'll automatically be hotter than one that is $600. Some of them charge way more than their hotness level should dictate, and vice versa, so spend some time browsing around, and you should be able to find a decently hot one for $500 or so probably."

I'm kind of mad about not ever thinking of the idea for TER first. It's really a simple idea- Yelp with prostitutes