• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HOF Ballot Released

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised Rolen only has 10% . I guess he had too many injury shortened seasons so he didn't get many MVP votes or something?

I think Rolen's hurt by being on a stacked ballot this year.....if you look at the voters who've made their ballots public, the majority of them voted for the max 10 players (and 9 players on the ballot currently have a voting % of 65%). This leads me to believe that numerous voters probably would've included him if they could select more than 10...

But since they have only 10 spots, many are likely voting for the guys they feel are more deserving (Chipper, Thome, etc) and the guys whom they may not have voted for in the past but now are since their chances are running out (Edgar, Walker).

Last edited:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rolen's hurt by being on a stacked ballot this year.....if you look at the voters who've made their ballots public, the majority of them voted for the max 10 players (and 9 players on the ballot currently have a voting % of 65%). This leads me to believe that numerous voters probably would've included him if they could select more than 10...

But since they have only 10 spots, many are likely voting for the guys they feel are more deserving (Chipper, Thome, etc) and the guys whom they may not have voted for in the past but now are since their chances are running out (Edgar, Walker).
Yeah, you're probably right. Since some of the voters wanted to "punish" some players they associated with PEDs by not voting for them for the first couple years they created a logjam of players.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Heyman’s explanation of his ballot.

Inside Baseball | Jon Heyman's Hall Of Fame Ballot

At least he has the sack to stand up and say why he split his Bonds/Clemens vote. And he actually makes some decent points.
Yeah, at least he explained it. Although the explanation about splitting up Clemens and Bonds sounds ridiculous to me. Now we're distinguishing between one guy who defamed his trainer's character by lying about him and another guy who let his trainer sit in prison for a year so he wouldn't have to be exposed as a liar? And the Bonds narrative? Now we are analyzing each player's motivations for (allegedly) using PEDs? What if Manny needed to ensure that he had a good season so he could make a few more million to buy his mother a new liver?
I don't like Clemens at all but it is crazy that he left him off for being slightly less likeable than Bonds. Put Clemens in and leave McGriff or Rolen off. Or maybe Heyman is just trying to sell papers or get clicks or whatever.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Clemens and Bonds, think both are going to be inducted within the next year, probably as soon as next yr. given the relative weakness of next year's class. Rivera probably gets in and Halladay (RIP) next yr.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Clemens and Bonds, think both are going to be inducted within the next year, probably as soon as next yr. given the relative weakness of next year's class. Rivera probably gets in and Halladay (RIP) next yr.
I think there is very little chance that Clemens and Bonds get inducted next year. Still have to change a lot of minds. And I think psychologically, voters don't want Clemens/Bonds sharing the stage with Halladay's family or Rivera. They'll consider those inductions "their days".

I think Edgar gets in next year, just misses out this year. I actually think Clemens and Bonds wait until their 9th ballot, 3 years from now, before being inducted.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Chipper and Mussina make the cut,
nobody else. Has everything to do with image.

If you are going on image, there is no better image guy than Thome....

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamie Moyer got his first vote today!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamie Moyer got his first vote today!
Moyer should be in the hall of fame in a display with other guys that stayed competitive for such a long time, like Julio Franco and Rickey Henderson and some other guys. He just wasn't quite good enough to get a plaque and bust like the very best players in the game.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moyer should be in the hall of fame in a display with other guys that stayed competitive for such a long time, like Julio Franco and Rickey Henderson and some other guys. He just wasn't quite good enough to get a plaque and bust like the very best players in the game.
Rickey Henderson shouldn't be anywhere near those players. Minnie Minoso though

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, Rickey was an elite player for more than a decade (probably '80 to '93) so he's better than that group.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Rickey was an elite player for more than a decade (probably '80 to '93) so he's better than that group.
Ricky is an inner-circle HOFer. But if this display were ever to happen, why not include him? It would be a special display, not a plaque-wing.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those speeches will be interesting. I wonder if Joe Morgan and sech will skip the inductions.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ricky is an inner-circle HOFer. But if this display were ever to happen, why not include him? It would be a special display, not a plaque-wing.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Rickey is very prolific. I have no problem with Rickey being featured in more than one display.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rickey played forever too. But you're right Minoso is a given

and Hank Aaron... Sure he is an ALL TIME GREAT, but he certainly compiled his way into becoming the HR king...

Pete Rose, compiled his way to be the hit king

CY young compiled his way to be the wins leader...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Hank Aaron... Sure he is an ALL TIME GREAT, but he certainly compiled his way into becoming the HR king...

Yeah, Pete had a few years at the end where he was pretty mediocre, compiling his way to 4200 or whatever it was. Aaron was actually a very good player all the way up until he tied and passed Ruth (40 HRs in 392 ABs in 1973) then fell off pretty quickly right after that.
Cy Young was just a freaking animal. He had 2 years of win compiling where he wasn't that great but at that point he had almost 500 anyway so it's not like anyone was or will ever be close to his total.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Pete had a few years at the end where he was pretty mediocre, compiling his way to 4200 or whatever it was. Aaron was actually a very good player all the way up until he tied and passed Ruth (40 HRs in 392 ABs in 1973) then fell off pretty quickly right after that.
Cy Young was just a freaking animal. He had 2 years of win compiling where he wasn't that great but at that point he had almost 500 anyway so it's not like anyone was or will ever be close to his total.

for hank aaron... the Home run king never had a 50 HR season!!! he was a compiler for that title... Not saying he is not an all time great... just saying for the title that he is most famous for, he was a compiler...

His last 3 seasons he had 43 HRs total... 20,13,10...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for hank aaron... the Home run king never had a 50 HR season!!! he was a compiler for that title... Not saying he is not an all time great... just saying for the title that he is most famous for, he was a compiler...

He led the NL four times, finished top 5 fourteen times, and top eighteen times.

Aaron also played a good chunk of his career in a pitcher friendly era where home runs were hard to come by. There were only a handful of 50+ home run seasons hit over Aaron's career. Aaron's eight 40+ home run seasons are tied for the 2nd most.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well he broke the record when he was 36 and had a few more pretty damn good years.