• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hizzle's Golf Corner (for debate and/or advise)

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the pros have a handicap?

If so, when do they use it, if not, why do they have one?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the pros have a handicap?

If so, when do they use it, if not, why do they have one?

Good question. Answer: No. But some yes and they shouldn't.

A pro is a pro. 0 handicap, period. You want a handicap - go get your amateur status back. A pro trying to use a handicap for strokes in ANY game is disgraceful. Don't care if it is the weekly club skins game. A Pro is 0 strokes.

How many times have you seen a football team spot points to another? Or basketball? Etc... A pro should tee it up and try to break par. That's it.

To answer what it is used for - only club money play. Nothing more. I have never in my life seen a pro tournament allow handicaps.

Good question and kind of a sore subject for me. If you're a pro have some pride guys!

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just bought the Taylormade SLDR today

Gotta birthday coming up so I told the wifey that that's what I was buying myself. I couldn't stop there so I bought an old school Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood (I think it's the best 3 wood ever made (was $30 LOL)). I am trying to play a little more golf (at least twice a month) and figured what the hell. That SLDR was brand new with a Speeder shaft for $218. You can't beat that shit. I know I'll be a model behind but it beats the 6 year old pile I have that I never use.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next up is a set of irons. I've got the old Ping S59s that I've had since 02. I was thinking about getting a set of the biggest idiot proof irons out there. I'm a big fan of the old Callaway X12 Pro Series...is there anything out there similar?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next up is a set of irons. I've got the old Ping S59s that I've had since 02. I was thinking about getting a set of the biggest idiot proof irons out there. I'm a big fan of the old Callaway X12 Pro Series...is there anything out there similar?

I would do 2 things:

1) Go to a demo day and try them out. Stick to a few companies: TMade; Ping; Callaway; (maybe Titleist). Stay away from Nike.

2) When you find the irons you like best - have the Demo Rep or one of the club pros there fit you. It won't cost you anything extra (unless they start getting exotic with shafts and what not). Fitting is very important regardless of handicap level.

Good luck.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta birthday coming up so I told the wifey that that's what I was buying myself. I couldn't stop there so I bought an old school Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood (I think it's the best 3 wood ever made (was $30 LOL)). I am trying to play a little more golf (at least twice a month) and figured what the hell. That SLDR was brand new with a Speeder shaft for $218. You can't beat that shit. I know I'll be a model behind but it beats the 6 year old pile I have that I never use.

Good deal, do it man!!...I've been turning over my bag as well...everything but the driver and 3w were from my original set in '98...irons, 56 deg wedge last Xmas, the bag itself a couple of months ago...just recently I bought the Titleist 913D3...sweet club!

I demoed (in store simulator) about 5 drivers...The G30 and SLDR were a little longer, but the Titleist was consistently closest to the center line so I went with it...Golfsmith has a 30 trial. but I went straight to range after work and it was still pretty straight...2 rounds with it so far, nice club.

I know it's the archer, not the arrow, but if you have a decent swing these new clubs can help shave a couple strokes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hizzle...played about 8 or 9 rounds since we last talked about breaking 80...well, I've really tried to focus on short game during practice, and a slightly (very slight) weaker LH grip and again mostly low 80s...finally...this past Sat @ Hampton Golf Village shot 77. My new career low!

+5 on the front, with two 3 jacks (both were GIR no less), one drive through the dogleg into some heavy rough made double on that one, also missed a 6' for par...Swinging well though I so very positive even though it seem like it might be a same oh, same oh, type round thru 9.

Made the turn, I was even par thru 7 holes on that side, 2 bogeys, and 2 birdies...my buddy says...man I think you're going for a career low today!

I knew it too but sure as hell didn't need to hear him say that...Par 3 17th, lasered it @ 156 yds, hit 8i, slight chunk but on the green...30' or so away uphill...good speed about a ft past the hole, tap in par...now 18, tough hole forced carry on the drive, and the approach...430 on the card, but playing about 415...hit my worst drive of the day...necked it. In the fairway about 180 to center, but back pin...lasered it @ 194...hit my 4 hybrid...not pure so it's didn't bite...carried thru the green on a side hill/down hill lie...I knew it would roll out when it hit the green so I was expecting 15-20' and that's what I had left...missed it high side...plus on the back.

Bottomline...41 front, 36 back....still plenty of room for improvement, but pretty geeked about one!

Your advice helped!...Thanks.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hizzle...played about 8 or 9 rounds since we last talked about breaking 80...well, I've really tried to focus on short game during practice, and a slightly (very slight) weaker LH grip and again mostly low 80s...finally...this past Sat @ Hampton Golf Village shot 77. My new career low!

+5 on the front, with two 3 jacks (both were GIR no less), one drive through the dogleg into some heavy rough made double on that one, also missed a 6' for par...Swinging well though I so very positive even though it seem like it might be a same oh, same oh, type round thru 9.

Made the turn, I was even par thru 7 holes on that side, 2 bogeys, and 2 birdies...my buddy says...man I think you're going for a career low today!

I knew it too but sure as hell didn't need to hear him say that...Par 3 17th, lasered it @ 156 yds, hit 8i, slight chunk but on the green...30' or so away uphill...good speed about a ft past the hole, tap in par...now 18, tough hole forced carry on the drive, and the approach...430 on the card, but playing about 415...hit my worst drive of the day...necked it. In the fairway about 180 to center, but back pin...lasered it @ 194...hit my 4 hybrid...not pure so it's didn't bite...carried thru the green on a side hill/down hill lie...I knew it would roll out when it hit the green so I was expecting 15-20' and that's what I had left...missed it high side...plus on the back.

Bottomline...41 front, 36 back....still plenty of room for improvement, but pretty geeked about one!

Your advice helped!...Thanks.

:suds:

That's awesome! Career round right there. Cheers.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good piece of news - not for me but my wife. She just won the ladies club championship! Beat the defending champ by 7 strokes over 2 days.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Another good piece of news - not for me but my wife. She just won the ladies club championship! Beat the defending champ by 7 strokes over 2 days.

Sweet!! Now it's celebration time..

Some great tips on this thread, keep it up and I just might break 90..lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see you've been coaching her up as well! Congrats!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. As my game continues to decline bit by bit - She is getting better each year. Damnit!

I hear ya, but it's hard to sustain a tour like game when you're not on tour, or playing tourney golf a lot I'm sure...2 more sub 80s for me...barely...both 79s and I didn't play well...really windy last week, and 2 dbls killed anything real good....both of these from blue tees whereas that 77 was white tees.

This is ideal golf weather here in GA overall though...mid 70s, cool, crisp mornings. Probably another 5 weeks or so of this kind of weather.