• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hizzle's Golf Corner (for debate and/or advise)

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best

Taylor made
Ping

Worst

I will go with the double Nike too.

I also have a putter that was pretty expensive. I bought it about 7 years ago.
I never even heard of it ..just knew I had to have it when it touched my hands.

Kirk Currie Pecos putter ...love that thing.

Gotta admit, you stumped me there. Thought I knew just about all of them. Never heard of that one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate...Any hybrid iron set, they just don't look good at address.

Like...Mizuno irons, Titleist irons...just have never felt the urge to spend that kind of money on them.

One company that had a good thing, but they blew an opportunity...Skycaddie...EVERYONE I know that bought one doesn't use it now...the annual renewal stuff was pure greed.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
List your favorite and least favorite club companies. In other words, if you could only play 1 company (putter, wedges, irons, and woods)...

Best:

Taylor Made
Callaway
** honorable mention: Titleist

Worst:

Nike
Nike
** honorable mention: Cleveland

LOVE reading your thread Hizzle...keep up the good work here.:10:

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
List your favorite and least favorite club companies. In other words, if you could only play 1 company (putter, wedges, irons, and woods)...

Best:

Taylor Made
Callaway
** honorable mention: Titleist

Worst:

Nike
Nike
** honorable mention: Cleveland

Ping, Taylor Made, Callaway

I play hand me down Ping Eye 2 blue dot irons, I've had them about 9 years now. They're 20+ years old but I hit them fine. Don't get a ton of distance with them, but I have no plans of upgrading soon.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should I get this carry bag:

PING Men's Hoofer 14 Stand Bag at Golf Galaxy

OR:

This one:

PING Men's Hoofer II Stand Bag at Golf Galaxy

(i have PING golf clubs... Hence the bag choice)

I have TM irons and did consider their bag, but after going back and forth in the store...I bought a Callaway bag, and don't have one Callaway club in the bag!

Idk if this helps, but it's been my experience...I have a 14 way cart bag, and have had no problems...I toyed around with a 14 way stand bag and because the bag is at an angle when you have it standing on the ground, the clubs seem to get stuck...not real easy to get in and out...I might lean toward the Hoofer II because of that.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fat-n-lazy, have an "over the top" swing when driving the golf ball and the ball always goes short right.

Can you help me Doctor?

Best and quickest way to fix this is to:

1) Make sure your shoulders, hips, and feet are all parallel with your target line. If you check your shoulders and hips, I bet $1000 they are open.

2) If you drop your right foot behind your left and hit balls at the range, this will force your hips and shoulders back to square + it gives you more freedom on your right side. What I mean by that.. is now you have plenty of room to take that club back inside your target line. This will take time, but it will fix it eventually. In golf, if you ever have a problem that you can't fix, go the exact opposite on everything - meaning if your stance and body is open, then close it. If you hit a slice, try everything you can to hit a hook. And watch that ball go straight at first.

3) shorten your backswing

This is a common problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hizzle...

I'm a weekender hacker (25 handicap) and this Q concerns my putting. I usually 2 putt most greens, but at least 90% of the time find my first putt ending up short left of the hole. Probably means that I "de-accelerate" on the follow thru, what's your take to help me putt to the "high-side" of the hole consistently?

BTW...I am a RH player.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow this:

uphill putts = be aggressive
downhill putts = be a lagger

If you want to take the break out of a putt, hit it firm.. otherwise if you don't it will break more. This is important for putts inside 10' - just think about the back of the hole and slam dunk it. ;)

But you have to practice putting. If you can practice for 1 hour a week, plus play once or twice a week... Your overall game will get better.

Short game is everything.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is all personal preference. What works for you, may not work for someone else, especially when you are talking about different levels of ability.

My putter and 3wd are 10 years old. Tri-hot white hot odessy and a Callaway Steelhead III 13 degree 3wd that is still better than anything I've ever hit and you can get them online for $40.

Other than that, Titleist Driver, Rescue, MB irons, wedges.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably means that I "de-accelerate" on the follow thru, what's your take to help me putt to the "high-side" of the hole consistently?

I would say play more break on the high side, but that's not the answer.

1st rule of putting: never take the putter back any further than you have to. My guess is you take it too far back and decelerate.

Like I said before, make up your mind if you are going to be aggressive or a lagger on every putt.. Then pick out your line, the get over the putt and TRUST it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have TM irons and did consider their bag, but after going back and forth in the store...I bought a Callaway bag, and don't have one Callaway club in the bag!

Idk if this helps, but it's been my experience...I have a 14 way cart bag, and have had no problems...I toyed around with a 14 way stand bag and because the bag is at an angle when you have it standing on the ground, the clubs seem to get stuck...not real easy to get in and out...I might lean toward the Hoofer II because of that.

Yeah I did see some nice Callaway bags as well!

I am leaning towards the Hoofer II since it is less expensive and seems more practical for me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I did see some nice Callaway bags as well!

I am leaning towards the Hoofer II since it is less expensive and seems more practical for me.

A lot of the bags follow a similar design I noticed...the kicker for me...the Taylormade bag didn't have a strap or loop to secure cart strap so the bag would eventually slide around over the course of the round.

I have old Callaway stand bag that I take to the range or to the par 3...I've never used it a lot, but it's held up so I thought this new Callaway bag was a good choice. What I've learned is most of these OEMs don't manufacture their own bags, but Ping, like Callaway typically offer good after sale service.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hizzle...

I'm a weekender hacker (25 handicap) and this Q concerns my putting. I usually 2 putt most greens, but at least 90% of the time find my first putt ending up short left of the hole. Probably means that I "de-accelerate" on the follow thru, what's your take to help me putt to the "high-side" of the hole consistently?

BTW...I am a RH player.

2 things here. 1 being a tempo drill and the other equipment related:

1) Tempo Drill - Do you actually have a feel for whether or not you have hit the right tempo in a putt or not? Most people rob themselves of this by allowing their eyes to tell them (i.e. - hit putt; look up; visual result gives you feedback on good or bad tempo). This is you robbing yourself. Every putt is a tempo learning opportunity.

One thing to keep in mind, is I hate the term "acceleration" in putting. In actuality there is no acceleration. Acceleration is judged in relation to the backswing. Perfect tempo means the putter goes back and through at the same speed. Yes, of course the putter is picking up some speed as it heads into the golf ball - but I think it is more appropriate and helpful to think of it being a 2-part swing. Same speed back and through.

The Actual Drill - Go to the putting green and pick a fairly level putt. Start with about 10 feet. Take 4 balls. Set up to it, and right before you begin your swing, Close Your Eyes. Now make your stroke. Here is the kicker: Before you open your eyes, ask yourself: "Is that putt short of the hole; past the hole; or just right"? Then open your eyes and see if you got it right. Do this with every single ball to the same putt, until you get it right every time. Once you get all 4 right in a row - Go to a longer putt and do the same thing.

You are now allowing the "feel" of the putt to give you feedback, instead of cheating with your eyes.

2) Equipment - Is your putter face balanced, or toe weighted? If you don't know then do this: Rest the shaft of your putter at its balance point on your finger. Does the putter face stay parallel with the ground? If so, it is face balance (meaning the heel and toe are equally weighted). Or, does the toe point towards the ground? If so, it is toe weighted.

If you are still having issues with missing left - I would look at getting a toe weighted putter. The extra weight makes it a little more difficult to rotate the toe over (i.e. the left miss). Neither face balanced nor toe weighted is better than the other, per se. It just depends on the player and the stoke.

Hope that helps.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the bags follow a similar design I noticed...the kicker for me...the Taylormade bag didn't have a strap or loop to secure cart strap so the bag would eventually slide around over the course of the round.

I have old Callaway stand bag that I take to the range or to the par 3...I've never used it a lot, but it's held up so I thought this new Callaway bag was a good choice. What I've learned is most of these OEMs don't manufacture their own bags, but Ping, like Callaway typically offer good after sale service.

Even with the strap my bag flies around in the cart if I take one. I was thinking of the "hoofer extreme" because when I play a round with my rents at their course I walk and the double straps really help! However, the stand for my bag is slightly bent so it takes a little finagling for it to stand up and I don't want to run into that problem again

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the strap my bag flies around in the cart if I take one. I was thinking of the "hoofer extreme" because when I play a round with my rents at their course I walk and the double straps really help! However, the stand for my bag is slightly bent so it takes a little finagling for it to stand up and I don't want to run into that problem again

I actually like walking, the main reason I got the stand bag...but 99% of my rounds @ home I ride...in fact most courses require you to take a cart here in GA. Late afternoon you might be able to walk.

Yeah...the stand mechanism going bad defeats the purpose of having a stand bag...lol. I don't have enough experience with them to know one from the next...my stand bag I've used maybe a couple dz times so not enough use to rate it.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things here. 1 being a tempo drill and the other equipment related:

1) Tempo Drill - Do you actually have a feel for whether or not you have hit the right tempo in a putt or not? Most people rob themselves of this by allowing their eyes to tell them (i.e. - hit putt; look up; visual result gives you feedback on good or bad tempo). This is you robbing yourself. Every putt is a tempo learning opportunity.I agree it's all rythmn - even just as simple as counting 1-2

One thing to keep in mind, is I hate the term "acceleration" in putting. In actuality there is no acceleration. Acceleration is judged in relation to the backswing. Perfect tempo means the putter goes back and through at the same speed. Yes, of course the putter is picking up some speed as it heads into the golf ball - but I think it is more appropriate and helpful to think of it being a 2-part swing. Same speed back and through.

The Actual Drill - Go to the putting green and pick a fairly level putt. Start with about 10 feet. Take 4 balls. Set up to it, and right before you begin your swing, Close Your Eyes. Now make your stroke. Here is the kicker: Before you open your eyes, ask yourself: "Is that putt short of the hole; past the hole; or just right"? Then open your eyes and see if you got it right. Do this with every single ball to the same putt, until you get it right every time. Once you get all 4 right in a row - Go to a longer putt and do the same thing. Closing your eyes is about the best feedback one can get.

You are now allowing the "feel" of the putt to give you feedback, instead of cheating with your eyes.

2) Equipment - Is your putter face balanced, or toe weighted? If you don't know then do this: Rest the shaft of your putter at its balance point on your finger. Does the putter face stay parallel with the ground? If so, it is face balance (meaning the heel and toe are equally weighted). Or, does the toe point towards the ground? If so, it is toe weighted.

If you are still having issues with missing left - I would look at getting a toe weighted putter. The extra weight makes it a little more difficult to rotate the toe over (i.e. the left miss). Neither face balanced nor toe weighted is better than the other, per se. It just depends on the player and the stoke.

Hope that helps.

Another great drill is to get a 2x4, about 2.5' long. Put the toe of the putter on the board and address the putt without a ball, now just go back and thru - this is teaching feel. A tough thing to teach. Best and cheapest drill ever! Also do it with the heel of the putter resting on the board, back and thru...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like walking, the main reason I got the stand bag...but 99% of my rounds @ home I ride...in fact most courses require you to take a cart here in GA. Late afternoon you might be able to walk.

Yeah...the stand mechanism going bad defeats the purpose of having a stand bag...lol. I don't have enough experience with them to know one from the next...my stand bag I've used maybe a couple dz times so not enough use to rate it.

I think a lot of the problem with the stand mechanism "breaking" is the fact I put it into my trunk and sometimes I forget to put it so all the weight is not on the stand itself. I am sure that weakens it! You are right most courses are ride only, which is fine considering those courses are pretty long and I have a bad knee so I wouldn't make it walking.