• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey guys, what's going on on the Sherman front?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys worried about your players wanting to stay in Seattle now that it has come out that the Sherman trade rumors were Shermans idea and now Lynch is trying to come out of retirement for any team other than Seattle? I know they aren't exactly what they used to be, although Sherman is still damn good. However, this could be sending a message to other players that Seattle kinda sucks to play for. Or they just may still be upset over not handing the ball off on the 1 in the super bowl and opting to pass to Butler.

Na, PC has instilled an atmosphere where his players have the freedom to be themselves where other teams want you to be a robot once the season starts. Sherm was frustrated how the season went and he's an emotional dude but there's no message being sent that playing for Seattle sucks. Lynch is a strange bird and that's about it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE doesn't have enough ammo to trade for Sherm.
The "he" in this case is Lynch, not Sherm. New rumors suggest Lynch would also come out of retirement to play for NE.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I guess in my mind, I'm thinking it's likely something away from football? I know when I snap at people and 'go off,' (which is albeit very rare), it's usually because something else is weighing on me.

Me snapping is my wakeup call to realize, 'hey something is bugging me that I need to address.'

But I don't think Sherman and I could be more polar opposites personality wise. :)
I definitely understand where you are coming from. If I had to make a guess, Sherm is tired of PC's shtick. One of his comments during the year that more or less mocked Pete's motivational technique got me thinking that...plus the "talking to" they may have had around the time of the Jim Moore blowup where Sherm was a bit coy when describing what happened.

If this ends in a trade before the season starts, I guess I file it in the "all good things come to an end" category. One of things we heard from the skeptics way back when Pete came here from USC was that his "rah rah" style wasn't going to work with grown men in the NFL. It definitely has worked a lot more than it hasn't, but maybe now we've 'grown' a player in Sherm who is no longer on board? I think he certainly was for a handful of years, but now maybe as he approaches 30 he has just outgrown it? I'm just guessing... I think it's just as likely this is being made up to be more than it is and he'll be a fine player for us once again in 2017.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear on this: I am not saying that the poster is bs, I am saying that the ridiculous article stating that he could go to the Pats is bs. It is written from an unreliable rumor-monger source, and there is no chance that Lynch moves so far away from the Bay Area since he typically would fly home on every 2 day or more break. It is one (just one) of the reasons why he didn't work in Buffalo.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "he" in this case is Lynch, not Sherm. New rumors suggest Lynch would also come out of retirement to play for NE.

In that case they do have the ammo for Lynch if they want him.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. NE is trying to manipulate Blount's contract negotiations via threat of interest in Lynch. Nothing more to it.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trades with players with big contracts that still have multiple years left on their contract rarely happen.

Why Cap hits. Pro rated portions of cap become due immediately. Even though Lynch is retired we still have a cap hit for the next couple years. If we trade him we owe all that cap hit on this years cap which is 9 million. We would exhaust all our cap space trading this year. But we would not longer have a cap hit in the future for Lynch

So with Sherman, if we trade him does the savings of this years base salary enough to compensate for the pro rated portions of his contract?

IMO, the Seahawks just do not have the cap space to trade both players. With all the noise about a Lynch trade, it sure looks like Sherman will be playing for the Seahawks in 2017

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trades with players with big contracts that still have multiple years left on their contract rarely happen.

Why Cap hits. Pro rated portions of cap become due immediately. Even though Lynch is retired we still have a cap hit for the next couple years. If we trade him we owe all that cap hit on this years cap which is 9 million. We would exhaust all our cap space trading this year. But we would not longer have a cap hit in the future for Lynch

So with Sherman, if we trade him does the savings of this years base salary enough to compensate for the pro rated portions of his contract?

IMO, the Seahawks just do not have the cap space to trade both players. With all the noise about a Lynch trade, it sure looks like Sherman will be playing for the Seahawks in 2017

Lynch is paid up, if he unretires it all salary, no bonus invovled. In a trade Seahawks would not have a cap hit at all. If Sherman is traded there is a cap hit of 4,400, 000 and a cap saving of 9,231,000.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Cap hits. Pro rated portions of cap become due immediately. Even though Lynch is retired we still have a cap hit for the next couple years. If we trade him we owe all that cap hit on this years cap which is 9 million. We would exhaust all our cap space trading this year. But we would not longer have a cap hit in the future for Lynch.

I don't think you've got the entire Lynch situation correct. Since Seattle covered Lynch's guaranteed money in their dead cap space last season, Seattle has no guaranteed money tied up in Lynch. In essence, Seattle cutting or trading Lynch at this point would have the same affect as doing so to Graham (as in there would be no dead money penalty), since his $9 million salary is not guaranteed. Really, Lynch only disrupts Seattle's cap if Lynch unretires and Seattle decides to keep him.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade lynch its not a 9m cap hit, its 5. So either we cut him or trade him or we are stuck paying him 9m.

We have no choice but to cut or trade. We can also ask for 2.5m bonus money back.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you've got the entire Lynch situation correct. Since Seattle covered Lynch's guaranteed money in their dead cap space last season, Seattle has no guaranteed money tied up in Lynch. In essence, Seattle cutting or trading Lynch at this point would have the same affect as doing so to Graham (as in there would be no dead money penalty), since his $9 million salary is not guaranteed. Really, Lynch only disrupts Seattle's cap if Lynch unretires and Seattle decides to keep him.

The nine mil figure comes from the newspaper the last couple of days. Off memory Lynch's deal was a four year extension with lots of guaranteed money up front. So there is no way we would have absorbed the pro rated portion of his cap in it's entirety last season. We have to pay the pro rated portion for this year and next year. the 9 mil is not we have to absorb that much more this year if we trade him for half of that is already on the books for this year anyway. There is a huge difference between guaranteed money and pro rated portions on the cap. It is mostly due to the manipulation of the cap by having low base salary and huge signing bonuses which is equally distributed for the life of the contract

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nine mil figure comes from the newspaper the last couple of days. Off memory Lynch's deal was a four year extension with lots of guaranteed money up front. So there is no way we would have absorbed the pro rated portion of his cap in it's entirety last season. We have to pay the pro rated portion for this year and next year. the 9 mil is not we have to absorb that much more this year if we trade him for half of that is already on the books for this year anyway. There is a huge difference between guaranteed money and pro rated portions on the cap. It is mostly due to the manipulation of the cap by having low base salary and huge signing bonuses which is equally distributed for the life of the contract

Lynch's original contract was through 2017. Last year he was supposed to count $11.5 million against the cap ($9 million salary and $2.5 million signing bonus proration). When he retired, Seattle paid $5 million in cap space as dead money to cover the last 2 seasons of his signing bonus (Seattle Seahawks 2016 Salary Cap, check dead money section). Since he retired, his last season's numbers have not moved forward a year, which is why he is looking at a $9 million salary this year. Salary is not guaranteed in money or cap space, Seattle would not carry any penalty to cut or trade Lynch unless they take on part of the salary as part of the trade deal (which won't happen).

Again, Lynch's deal in 2015 was only for 2 additional years (Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks agree on new deal) and had a signing bonus of $7.5 million. Other than his bonus money, Lynch had no other guaranteed money after the 2015 season.