• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey guys, what's going on on the Sherman front?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried abou him being unhappy, it's more about can he produce like he once did? Think to some degree he has benefited from the system and it's gone to his head. Not in favor of a trade for the sake of making a trade, but yeah.....if a good offer comes a long, I'm for it. Don't actually see it happening though and that's fine also, Sherman got a lot of pride, feel like he'll be motivated to excel next year, so keeping him is fine also.

I'm fine with keeping him too... Like you, I have always believed that he's benefited from our system as well... Look how every other DB that moved has faired... Not saying he would fair the same but he's definitely on other side of his prime now... A big time offer would have to come our way... Not sure if there is a team willing to do so... I just hope he's not a poor teammate this year like he was last season...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with keeping him too... Like you, I have always believed that he's benefited from our system as well... Look how every other DB that moved has faired... Not saying he would fair the same but he's definitely on other side of his prime now... A big time offer would have to come our way... Not sure if there is a team willing to do so... I just hope he's not a poor teammate this year like he was last season...
So much of that will be based on winning and losing. If Seattle struggles like they did at times last year look for a Sherman sequel. Winning cures a whole lot of everything. Sherm is a competitor with an A type personality not a good fit with losing.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to focus on what a trade does for the Seahawks roster rather then worry about how it benefits the team they are trading with. To me that's A1 in importance.

And what it would do to the Seahawks roster is remove a Pro Bowl corner and hand him over to a potential rival. Even if we got back a Pro Bowl offensive lineman and a draft pick, and that draft pick was a corner to replace Sherman, there's no guarantee that the pick will put together the kind of year we're used to seeing from Sherman. He certainly wouldn't bring the fear factor that Sherman brings. Sherman has built up a reputation throughout his career of being someone you don't want to throw at. He was thrown at a bit more than we're used to seeing last year, but there are still teams and QBs who won't even look to that side of the field when throwing the ball. You lose that fear factor with a rookie. The question then becomes... Does the addition of the Pro Bowl offensive lineman (assuming that's what we'd get) improve the offense enough to offset the loss of Sherman and the fear factor he instilled?

I think I mentioned this earlier too, but the other thing you have to consider here is Thomas' health. His ability to come back from his injury and be the player he was before is still up in the air at this point; and if you lose Sherman, then Thomas needs to be at the top of his game because he's going to have more work to do from his Safety spot. There are already questions about the other corner spot and there will be questions about Thomas' health until he proves he's 100%. You can't have questions about Sherman's old spot too.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman must be exhausting to deal with. Is the guy ever not in the middle of some controversy? Jesus.

It's like he sees that everything is calm, and business as usual. Then he goes; "Nope. Can't have that. I'll throw a nice monkey wrench in the mix!"

I don't feel like he'll be traded, but I can't blame Seattle for growing tired of his act.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the other thing you have to consider here is

The other thing to consider IMO is that in two years Sherman and Thomas will be FAs and IDK if the Seahawks could/would resign either. Certainly not looking like Sherman will be resigned, so then the Seahawks end up a third round comp pick....or they could see what the market will bear this year and if they like a package someone offers they end up with a player and hopefully a first round pick, in a draft loaded with good CBs and the Seahawks do seem to have a good eye for young CBs, not to mention maybe some cap relief. Image if they trade Sherman and land a stud CB in the draft, they would have a bargain thru out his rookie contract and maybe offset how much they been spending on the defense somewhat vs keeping Sherman for a limited time period and hoping the controversy goes away and no other issues arises with Sherman, then what if he gets seriously injured this season and is lost for the season....the clock is ticking on his contract.
Now I don't think a trade is going to happen ( mostly because teams are looking at the CBs in the draft and thinking Mmmm nice....), but I think it's a great idea to explore the possibility of a trade and if they find a fit, I confident that it would work out for the best.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman must be exhausting to deal with. Is the guy ever not in the middle of some controversy?
It's really only been that way this past season. All the other "controversy" he's been involved has been with external actors that really didn't affect the team at all. He's always been a great teammate and citizen actually, up until this past season. I don't think it is a worry at all of the fans or his teammates if he gets into it with Bayless, talks smack with Brady, or slams Crabtree for being mediocre. Different story though if he's calling out his coaches, threatening local media, and getting into it with his teammates on the sideline during games. He didn't do that kind of thing until 2016.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what it would do to the Seahawks roster is remove a Pro Bowl corner and hand him over to a potential rival. Even if we got back a Pro Bowl offensive lineman and a draft pick, and that draft pick was a corner to replace Sherman, there's no guarantee that the pick will put together the kind of year we're used to seeing from Sherman. He certainly wouldn't bring the fear factor that Sherman brings. Sherman has built up a reputation throughout his career of being someone you don't want to throw at. He was thrown at a bit more than we're used to seeing last year, but there are still teams and QBs who won't even look to that side of the field when throwing the ball. You lose that fear factor with a rookie. The question then becomes... Does the addition of the Pro Bowl offensive lineman (assuming that's what we'd get) improve the offense enough to offset the loss of Sherman and the fear factor he instilled?
But you also have to consider the possible damage that keeping him around may do, if it appears the relationship between him and the team is untenable. He may play this season with a cancerous attitude that could potentially become a huge distraction and ruin the season. Sherman is a great player but has ultra thin skin and gets defensive about almost everything. I could see him pouting all year and being a huge problem if he truly does want out and doesn't get what he wants.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really only been that way this past season. All the other "controversy" he's been involved has been with external actors that really didn't affect the team at all. He's always been a great teammate and citizen actually, up until this past season. I don't think it is a worry at all of the fans or his teammates if he gets into it with Bayless, talks smack with Brady, or slams Crabtree for being mediocre. Different story though if he's calling out his coaches, threatening local media, and getting into it with his teammates on the sideline during games. He didn't do that kind of thing until 2016.

Exactly. You could see that there was SOMETHING going on behind the scenes with Sherman this last season, none of us really know yet what that something is.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you also have to consider the possible damage that keeping him around may do, if it appears the relationship between him and the team is untenable. He may play this season with a cancerous attitude that could potentially become a huge distraction and ruin the season. Sherman is a great player but has ultra thin skin and gets defensive about almost everything. I could see him pouting all year and being a huge problem if he truly does want out and doesn't get what he wants.

Not sure I can go this far with you though. He's always been combustible, so if he was going to pout and be a cancer, why hasn't he done it previously?

So to use the '13 NFCCG as an example, he made that about him, not the team, and he owned up to that afterward.

So while he may slip up, he would always come back to the 'team.'

Again, SOMETHING changed last season, but I think it's hard to say that whatever that is, that it'll change him for good. It's just as possible that he comes back rededicated to his team and his guys.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I can go this far with you though. He's always been combustible, so if he was going to pout and be a cancer, why hasn't he done it previously?

So to use the '13 NFCCG as an example, he made that about him, not the team, and he owned up to that afterward.

Again, SOMETHING changed last season, but I think it's hard to say that whatever that is, that it'll change him for good. It's just as possible that he comes back rededicated to his team and his guys.

What changed last year was that the team struggled for the first time in their careers. Balls always bounce their way, turnovers came a plenty and injuries were somewhat minimal. Last season was like a perfect storm where none of those I listed came easily and injury bug showed its ugly face what seemed like every game. Frustration set in and lasted throughout the season but with that said still made it to the second round of the playoffs. I think Sherm will be fine and won't be traded since the SB window is still open and we'll see him play at the level we're used too.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What changed last year was that the team struggled for the first time in their careers. Balls always bounce their way, turnovers came a plenty and injuries were somewhat minimal. Last season was like a perfect storm where none of those I listed came easily and injury bug showed its ugly face what seemed like every game. Frustration set in and lasted throughout the season but with that said still made it to the second round of the playoffs. I think Sherm will be fine and won't be traded since the SB window is still open and we'll see him play at the level we're used too.

Just a guess on my part, but I still think there's something else going on with him. Off the field issues? Personality clash with a team-mate? I have NO idea, but there's something.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a guess on my part, but I still think there's something else going on with him. Off the field issues? Personality clash with a team-mate? I have NO idea, but there's something.

You could be right. If he gets traded then whatever the problem was will slowly leak out. If he stays, we'll probably never know and it's back to business and hopefully everybody gets refocused for the upcoming season.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys worried about your players wanting to stay in Seattle now that it has come out that the Sherman trade rumors were Shermans idea and now Lynch is trying to come out of retirement for any team other than Seattle? I know they aren't exactly what they used to be, although Sherman is still damn good. However, this could be sending a message to other players that Seattle kinda sucks to play for. Or they just may still be upset over not handing the ball off on the 1 in the super bowl and opting to pass to Butler.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys worried about your players wanting to stay in Seattle now that it has come out that the Sherman trade rumors were Shermans idea and now Lynch is trying to come out of retirement for any team other than Seattle? I know they aren't exactly what they used to be, although Sherman is still damn good. However, this could be sending a message to other players that Seattle kinda sucks to play for. Or they just may still be upset over not handing the ball off on the 1 in the super bowl and opting to pass to Butler.

Lynch is a bit of a weird dude and I don't think anyone knew what was going on in his head at any point in his career (partially because he wasn't a fan of giving interviews). There had already been speculation the year previous to his official retirement that he was thinking about it, so the Hawks did what a lot of teams would do in that situation... they set themselves up for a future without him, whenever that was going to be. Now, their plan took several hits when Rawls went down in 2015 and then again in early 2016, followed by a bunch of their other running backs following suit, but they did go into 2016 prepared to play with Lynch on the roster and without him on the roster. I don't think Lynch harbors any ill will towards the Seahawks for doing that, so I can't see him going anywhere just to spite the Seahawks, but I also don't think that going back to play for the Seahawks is an option at this point either. The Hawks have moved on.

As for Sherman... if he did request a trade, I don't think that that's going to hurt Seattle's rep in terms of getting future players to come here. I can't see Seattle going from being one of the premiere landing spots for free agents and draftees to being a place that no free agent or draftee wants to play for in such a short amount of time just because of a trade request from a guy who, as much as I love him as a player, has had his share of outbursts and rants over the course of his career and who has, by and large, been allowed to keep having those outbursts and rants by the team so long as he kept playing at a high level. This is a team that, by and large, lets guys be who they are without a whole lot of pushback. Unless something comes out in the near future to suggest otherwise, I don't think players are going to look at the Seahawks and how they've handled the latest Sherman incidents and think that they've treated him unfairly. I could be wrong, but I think most players would think that Sherman got off light compared to how other teams might have handled his going after the offensive coordinator verbally and then going after a radio host's press pass not long after that.

To sum up, I don't think the Lynch situation or the Sherman situation will put the Hawks in a bad light in regards to free agents coming here in the future. Pete has a reputation for being a player's coach and unless we see a significant shift in that perception in the near future, I think that reputation will withstand whatever happens with Lynch and Sherman.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where are you coming up with this??

He is considering coming out of retirement only for the Raiders, not any team other than Seattle.

Lynch has always been a big Raiders fan. He has never made any bones about that. He was a legend in the Bay Area in High School. He was a big star at UofCal Berkley. He is an Oakland area guy born and bred.

Considering some of your past posts, I am wary of you just trying to put a negative Seahawks spin on the situation. But this is about Lynch being Lynch. He is a strange dude and unpredictable. I would not be surprised if it was his plan all along to go into retirement, let his body heal up (it was pretty beaten up), tour around making random media appearances, and spend the rest of the time hittin a vape pin with his homies, and then unretire for a swansong year or two with the Raiders. The fact that they are now moving might have pushed this desire even further. If he can go and help push the Raiders to a SB, he would be a Bay Area superhero for the ages.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think my answer to your question would more or less be what you already said -- last year was different than all the others with his behavior. People in his crosshairs last year were internal actors. He turned on his own multiple times. That had never been the case, and in the '13 NFCC it was Crabtree he was yelling about -- not anyone on his own team. I'm not saying I'm totally convinced he'll be a problem on the team this year if not traded, but I definitely think it's more of a likelihood now than ever before for the exact reason you already stated: something changed last year.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my answer to your question would more or less be what you already said -- last year was different than all the others with his behavior. People in his crosshairs last year were internal actors. He turned on his own multiple times. That had never been the case, and in the '13 NFCC it was Crabtree he was yelling about -- not anyone on his own team. I'm not saying I'm totally convinced he'll be a problem on the team this year if not traded, but I definitely think it's more of a likelihood now than ever before for the exact reason you already stated: something changed last year.

Fair enough. I guess in my mind, I'm thinking it's likely something away from football? I know when I snap at people and 'go off,' (which is albeit very rare), it's usually because something else is weighing on me.

Me snapping is my wakeup call to realize, 'hey something is bugging me that I need to address.'

But I don't think Sherman and I could be more polar opposites personality wise. :)

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO, it's not like we are The Bears or some other shitty team.