• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hertzel… No reason for Clint to play in Bowl

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason for Trickett to play in bowl game - The Exponent Telegram : WVU

Sadly, I agree with him.

Clint has been tough as nails, and I give him props for how he endured injury last year to help WVU try and win down the stretch. But, this is one of those life changing injuries… and, who knows how his brain has been affected by trauma… or how it would handle anymore of it.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The focus on concussions and the lawsuits and all of the evidence that former players lives are being ruined by the resulting mental damage - it will probably lead to the end of football as we know it within the next decade or two. I know people who won't allow their 10 and 12 year olds to play. More and more parents are directing their kids to soccer.

Football is a victim of better conditioning and bigger and faster players. The collisions are more violent and the damages more permanent. I love the game - but the handwriting is on the wall. As the courts begin hearing the cases - rule changes to slow down the players will begin. Flag football may not be far from the mark in 20 or 30 years.

Sad....

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with that scumbag Hertzel so it must be true lol

Seriously though no reason for him to risk it and if he would end up getting hurt worse DH, the staff, and the university would all come under fire for playing him.

The best thing he can offer us now is getting Howard ready to play, which in turn will lead to coaching opportunities for him down the road.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason for Trickett to play in bowl game - The Exponent Telegram : WVU

Sadly, I agree with him.

Clint has been tough as nails, and I give him props for how he endured injury last year to help WVU try and win down the stretch. But, this is one of those life changing injuries… and, who knows how his brain has been affected by trauma… or how it would handle anymore of it.

What a ridiculous article...how could he possible parallel Talley who played in the NFL for 12 plus years and god knows how many concussions at a LINEBACKER position with dated equipment vs Clint Trickett and his 3 concussions..and state of the art equipment!! ..which the severity has never been told!!...

It's irresponsible journalism at its best!..is this guy a doctor? Is he treating Trickett??...It burns my ass that so much focus is placed on a football injury and especially one of this nature...you can point to every single sport and find a concussion story..even DIVING!!!!...BBW your daughter could get hit with a field hockey stick just once and not respond well...or she could shake it off and play on....your son could get hit by a pitch...same analogy..........................

It's how a person responds to getting their bell rung and the severity...everyone is different...If the Medical Team clears him and he wants to play...then he should............:gaah:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but coming from someone who was told by doctors to give up football because I had received a number of concussions from the sport, I tend to be on the conservative side.

I live with vertigo as a result. Thankfully… nothing worse.

Like I said, no one knows the true extent of damage to his brain from past trauma.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hertzel is not qualified to make this call. Clint will have had more than 30 days rest and should be cleared and able to play.

The bigger problem associated with this issue is players coming back too soon from concussion. From what I have heard, it takes time for the brain to heal and nobody should be back in action within 30 days of suffering a concussion.

The #1 danger with concussions if going back into play before being healed. Talley would be sent back in when able without regard to concussion symptoms. Things are changing, but the biggest change needed is to let concussions heal before allowing a player back into practice or in a game.

Whether Clint should have been taken out after the hit at TCU or played in the next two games is another story.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but coming from someone who was told by doctors to give up football because I had received a number of concussions from the sport, I tend to be on the conservative side.

I live with vertigo as a result. Thankfully… nothing worse.

Like I said, no one knows the true extent of damage to his brain from past trauma.

That's because they didn't wear helmets when you played back in the day!..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think more to the point of safety is Talley has had what 20 some years to heal....there is no timeframe or science that we know of that brings clarity to what these concussions are going to do to the brain long term (more evidence is coming out every day) or what we do in the short term. When in fact we do not know if there is a difference between having 3 concussions to 30 why risk it. You would hate to see 10 years from now a player in Tricketts position does something drastic cause he took that one last hit. I played and I love this game, but if it was my son I am not sure I would want him to go out there.

Keep a eye on Petty this week, already have heard grumblings that he should not play this week.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True dat…

I am afraid to admit that when I played we had suspension helmets...talk about hearing your ears ring every friggin day...then we went to the AirTm Helmet..which was air and water base design...and weighed like 50lbs!

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think more to the point of safety is Talley has had what 20 some years to heal....there is no timeframe or science that we know of that brings clarity to what these concussions are going to do to the brain long term (more evidence is coming out every day) or what we do in the short term. When in fact we do not know if there is a difference between having 3 concussions to 30 why risk it. You would hate to see 10 years from now a player in Tricketts position does something drastic cause he took that one last hit. I played and I love this game, but if it was my son I am not sure I would want him to go out there.

Keep a eye on Petty this week, already have heard grumblings that he should not play this week.

The big question is where do your draw the line? I rely on my Wife for medical opinions as she has that degree. She diagnosed a concussion with Clint in the TCU game. Clint probably faked it in front of the coaches because he like all other athletes wanted back in the game. After that point, he looked lost in the pocket.

Medical evidence does suggest that a concussion needs to heal before going back out and multiple concussions in a short period are much worse than concussion suffered over a longer time. That being the fact, at least according to my Wife, players should be required to sit our a week or three after any concussion.