• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Herm Edwards: I'm 'Well-Equipped' to Coach Arizona St. Amid Criticism of Hiring

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to show how out of touch he is with what is going on, it took him 4 months to comment on this.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To play Devil's Advocate to those who don't like the hire:

Herm Edwards is a well known guy who is extremely charismatic. Given his NFL experience and his extensive time being an NFL analyst for ESPN, he will likely be able to recruit extremely well. I think he's a guy who could make a solid college coach given his personality. X's and O's are a completely different dynamic though.

I personally don't like the hire, but I do think he could bring in a lot of talent just given his personality and background.

The guy is in his mid 60s. If I'm a high school recruit I'm wondering if the man will still be alive by the time I'm an upper classman let alone still coaching.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy is in his mid 60s. If I'm a high school recruit I'm wondering if the man will still be alive by the time I'm an upper classman let alone still coaching.

The more concerning thing if I were a recruit is he still refers to # as the pound sign and not hashtag.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get that hire. The powers that be at ASU must see something others don't.
It’s almost like they are trying to play “Moneyball” and reinvent the wheel. Problem is that doesn’t play out with coaching. No way this doesn’t fail spectacularly.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with "wait and see".

Look everyone can bitch and moan that it was a stupid hire, but if it was Miles or Sumlin, or an up and coming coach they would be using ASU as stepping stone to a bigger program.

Why not see if the old guy can create a culture down there of winning. He might just damn well succeed and be a pain in the arse for other Pac 12 teams....

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C'mon... Mid 60s ain't THAT old. Now, if he was 75+ then maybe that would be a consideration. heh heh :nod:

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with "wait and see".

Look everyone can bitch and moan that it was a stupid hire, but if it was Miles or Sumlin, or an up and coming coach they would be using ASU as stepping stone to a bigger program.

Why not see if the old guy can create a culture down there of winning. He might just damn well succeed and be a pain in the arse for other Pac 12 teams....

What does he provide for ASU? What does he bring that other coaches can't?

Lot of ways to look at the hire. I thought it was a mistake from the get-go, but ASU isn't
some giant on the field. Not anymore. He maybe enough to get them players the were
not getting. Now, they weren't getting top 5 classes, as it was, but he might be able to get
them a top 15 class with players that will play for him.

Lot of coaches shoot for top 20 classes and wind in in the bottom 1/3. He might do better or
he might get the 2-stars that are actually 3-star players and will produce for him.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it, like Edwards and I think his hiring for CFB might have been about 10 years too late but we’ll see.

I think he will do well as far as recruiting but again... we’ll see what happens as far as future relationships.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the stupidest hire in the history of college football right behind John Blake.

But it sure will be entertaining to watch.

Every hire is genius compared to John Blake.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it, like Edwards and I think his hiring for CFB might have been about 10 years too late but we’ll see.

I think he will do well as far as recruiting but again... we’ll see what happens as far as future relationships.
A school known for having the loosest sluts should never have a problem recruiting.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more concerning thing if I were a recruit is he still refers to # as the pound sign and not hashtag.
Finally! Someone addressing the real issue.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Herm Edwards is a well known guy who is extremely charismatic. Given his NFL experience and his extensive time being an NFL analyst for ESPN, he will likely be able to recruit extremely well. I think he's a guy who could make a solid college coach given his personality. X's and O's are a completely different dynamic though.

I personally don't like the hire, but I do think he could bring in a lot of talent just given his personality and background.

Was gonna post something similar until I saw yours.

I remember when Pete Carroll was hired at USC. A lot of USC fans, boosters, alumni, etc. lost their everlovin' minds. So did the media, both local and national. He had been let go from his last 2 NFL head coaching jobs and also had no college head coaching experience.

What he did have were 3 things...a personality to get the attention of and attract talent, a plan that he developed while out of coaching and enough sense to make sure he hired very good assistants.

Having said that, this hire is still has a bit of a wtf feel to it, but it turning out to be a great hire wouldn't exactly be unprecedented either.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herm has everything he needs...

emma-the-jerk_610.jpg

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's old.
Not sure many recruits would even be aware he's done more than yell on TV.

Im not sure he even knew ASU were the SunDevils.

As much as I don't get the hire. I don't get why he took the job.