• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heres a statistic for you

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
russ_82_720.png

The dynamic MVP candidate is also still averaging a triple-double for this season — in 57 games played, he’s at 31.1 points, 10.5 rebounds and 10.1 assists. However, this is the first time that we’ve been able to add the end of Westbrook’s season last year — the final 25 games — to his tally this season. Put it all together, and it’s a triple-double.

Can he average an 3Dub and still not win the MVP?

Russell Westbrook has averaged a triple double over his past 82 games

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
russ_82_720.png

The dynamic MVP candidate is also still averaging a triple-double for this season — in 57 games played, he’s at 31.1 points, 10.5 rebounds and 10.1 assists. However, this is the first time that we’ve been able to add the end of Westbrook’s season last year — the final 25 games — to his tally this season. Put it all together, and it’s a triple-double.

He might win MVP because voters are too easily swayed by stats that do not matter.

I was slow to come around, but Harden is the clear cut MVP at this point because of the way he has elevated his team. I would not argue if LeBron got it, but there is almost 0 chance of that because voters have been conditioned to discount his greatness.

Westbrook is a distant 3rd, triple double or not.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might win MVP because voters are too easily swayed by stats that do not matter.

I was slow to come around, but Harden is the clear cut MVP at this point because of the way he has elevated his team. I would not argue if LeBron got it, but there is almost 0 chance of that because voters have been conditioned to discount his greatness.

I've been in his corner, but I'm cooling on Westbrook from an MVP standpoint.

The fact that Harden is so close to a triple double and LeBron is actually as close as he's ever been... its sort of diminishing Westbrook's acheivment. If he had done this any other year... it would've had more effect.

Then there's the winning. Voters almost never pick someone without a top-2 seed, and have never picked someone without top-4.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been in his corner, but I'm cooling on Westbrook from an MVP standpoint.

The fact that Harden is so close to a triple double and LeBron is actually as close as he's ever been... its sort of diminishing Westbrook's acheivment. If he had done this any other year... it would've had more effect.

Then there's the winning. Voters almost never pick someone without a top-2 seed, and have never picked someone without top-4.
I argue that a guy on a significantly shitter team putting up the same or similar numbers is a stronger case.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The voters don't see it that way though.
Thats a good point. The MVP is supposed to be the the best player? Not the best player on the best team. Cause if thats the case it would change a lot of shit.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a good point. The MVP is supposed to be the the best player? Not the best player on the best team. Cause if thats the case it would change a lot of shit.

Westbrook is not the best player. Not even close.

That mantle belongs to LeBron with KD second. After them you can make a case for Russ.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno
The rebounding numbers are a bit fluffed up for stat padding.

1) Nobody on the team is allowed to get uncontested rebounds.
He literally glares and curses at anyone on the Thunder who takes an uncontested rebound.
If there are 2 or 3 Thunder near an obvious easy uncontested board, everyone defers to Russ.

2) His perimeter shot-contesting rate has plummeted, meaning that he runs for rebounds rather than contest the shots. The Thunder are dead last in guards expected FG% defense. Westbrook no longer contests shots and gambles that a rebound/fastbreak are worth more. Interesting debate I concede.

3) You notice that his offensive rebounding rate has not spiked. That is kind of the ultimate give-a-way.
Uncontested boards cherry picking + Free Throw rebounds + lack of perimeter shot contesting.
None of those help in offensive rebounding but can pad defensive rebounds.

Still worthy of the MVP regardless, but the rebounding chase is a bit on the gamesmanship side.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see how Westbrook passes Harden if his team finishes 6th or 7th while the Rockets finish 3rd with 55 wins or so

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook is not the best player. Not even close.

That mantle belongs to LeBron with KD second. After them you can make a case for Russ.

Since when does the best player in the league get MVP?

If that were the case Kobe would have about 6 in a row in the mid 2000s

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And LeBron would be working on his 7th or 8th in a row

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It never had been that way. Try Reading the post I was replying too.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think that any of the more amazing feats this season was Green getting a triple double w/o getting 10 pts.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with Curry around

Curry has never been the best player in the league. last year for him was a lot like this year for Harden. I do not see anyone claiming Harden is the league's best player right now.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with Curry around

Sorry, no. I'm a Warriors fan and even I acknowledge that LeBron is still the best player in the game. He proved it the last 2 years in the Finals vs Curry. Curry is obviously great, but if you had to pick one to start a team with today, it's obvious. Now, LeBron is 3 years older, so it may not be true much longer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
russ_82_720.png

These kinds of debates are why I wish the NBA would go to 2 awards. One for the most outstanding (best player) and one for the most valuable player. Most outstanding/best and most valuable are not necessarily the same thing.

Some years, the best or most outstanding player and the most valuable player might be the same guy (Lebron in his first stint in Cleveland). Some years, like this year, it might not be the same guy.

To me, the most valuable player is the guy who means the most to his team. If you remove Westbrook from the Thunder, they are fighting with the Lakers and Suns for worst record in the West and maybe with Brooklyn for worst record in the league instead of fighting with Memphis and the Clippers for the 5 seed in the West and only 2 games behind the Jazz for 1st in their division. A similar case can probably be made for Harden (haven't seen as much of the Rockets).

Also, discounting a player averaging a triple double is pretty silly. It's an amazing feat. There's a reason it's only been accomplished once before.

So, for this year (and most years in his career) Lebron would be the most outstanding player. Despite the crap we like to give Cavs fans about their record without him, the fact is that Lebron has a better team around him than Westbrook or Harden. So it should be between Westbrook and Harden for MVP for that reason (and not because anyone is "discounting Lebron's greatness").

My vote would currently go to Westbrook because he may be on the verge of making history. But, I could be swayed to Harden if I saw more of the Rockets.