• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here is how I would fix the NBA playoffs

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you're taking away the fact that each conference overwhelmingly plays the majority of their games against each other. There's just ZERO... and I mean... ZERO argument for sending teams cross conference or putting in the top 16 overall records.

Also, if you are going to change the schedule in order to make teams play both inter and cross conference games evenly. Why even have conferences?

I think that ultimately getting rid of conferences is kind of the point. Personally, I'm against it and think that a lot of it is an overreaction to the perceived difference in strength between the 2 conferences.

The idea behind it is to get the 16 best teams in the playoff regardless of geography. As it currently stands you have teams from one conference in the playoffs despite being weaker/having a worse record than teams from the other conference who didn't get in.

The biggest issue would be that teams would have to play a balanced schedule which means more travel. Although with travel the way it is today...that isn't as daunting was even 10-15 years ago.

There has always been a difference in strength between the 2 conferences and which conference is on top changes over time.

One of the main concerns with this current situation is the difference in star players per conference. If Lebron heads West this off-season...what stars are left in the East? Greek Freak? Wall? Love? Kyrie? Kind of pales in comparison to Lebron, KD, Steph, Harden, CP3, Westbrook, etc.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that ultimately getting rid of conferences is kind of the point. Personally, I'm against it and think that a lot of it is an overreaction to the perceived difference in strength between the 2 conferences.

The idea behind it is to get the 16 best teams in the playoff regardless of geography. As it currently stands you have teams from one conference in the playoffs despite being weaker/having a worse record than teams from the other conference who didn't get in.

The biggest issue would be that teams would have to play a balanced schedule which means more travel. Although with travel the way it is today...that isn't as daunting was even 10-15 years ago.

There has always been a difference in strength between the 2 conferences and which conference is on top changes over time.

One of the main concerns with this current situation is the difference in star players per conference. If Lebron heads West this off-season...what stars are left in the East? Greek Freak? Wall? Love? Kyrie? Kind of pales in comparison to Lebron, KD, Steph, Harden, CP3, Westbrook, etc.

B2B's and the amount of games these guys need a minutes limit or get rested from is already taking away from the product.

You don't need guys consistently bolting to all corners of the country.

The playoffs are fine. It's so far from being an issue. Especially an issue large enough to restructure how the entire league is put together.

Every sport goes through uneven fluxes with each of their conferences.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B2B's and the amount of games these guys need a minutes limit or get rested from is already taking away from the product.

Agree about the minutes limits/rest. But don't agree about B2B's. I think today's players need to quit whining about those. But then I got introduced to the NBA in an era where teams flew commercial and often played B2B2B's.

You don't need guys consistently bolting to all corners of the country.

Needed or not, it's what happens with free agency. Free agency has been both a blessing and a curse, imo. It's a blessing because more teams now have a shot at getting top level players. It's a curse because it also means top level players can leave. So, it's great when that guy is coming to your team...not so great when he's leaving.

The playoffs are fine. It's so far from being an issue. Especially an issue large enough to restructure how the entire league is put together.

Every sport goes through uneven fluxes with each of their conferences.

I agree. I don't see a need to change anything. The pendulum may have swung a little farther to one side than we've seen in the past, but it will eventually swing back.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about the minutes limits/rest. But don't agree about B2B's. I think today's players need to quit whining about those. But then I got introduced to the NBA in an era where teams flew commercial and often played B2B2B's.

No, we're in agreement about that. Players need to realize they're professional athletes, and should be out there if healthy.

I am simply saying, that this is the NBA culture we reside in now.

Needed or not, it's what happens with free agency. Free agency has been both a blessing and a curse, imo. It's a blessing because more teams now have a shot at getting top level players. It's a curse because it also means top level players can leave. So, it's great when that guy is coming to your team...not so great when he's leaving.

My point had nothing to do with free agency.

It had to do with the insane amount of travel players would be doing with no conferences in place.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another bird ... NBA makes money off playoff games (even a first round, crummy series) ... and you just significantly cut into that revenue.

Short term, for sure.

Long term though?

If it makes a stronger product for the 82 regular season games it might actually lead to more revenue.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point had nothing to do with free agency.

It had to do with the insane amount of travel players would be doing with no conferences in place.

My bad. I don't think the travel would be that big of a deal honestly. It's not like these guys are flying commercial.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Point taken but the East also has KP and Griffin, but yeah the West has all the star power. As far as all the talk of playoff (and conference) 'fixes', I'm with you. OK so some team finishes 9th in the West and they are better than the 8th seed in the East. So what? They make the playoffs and get smoked. This is a solution in search of a problem.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should whittle the playoffs down to 4 teams from each conference. That’ll never happen though. Seeds 5-8 have no business being there and never really have a shot at the title.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should whittle the playoffs down to 4 teams from each conference. That’ll never happen though. Seeds 5-8 have no business being there and never really have a shot at the title.

Never is too harsh. The 8 seed Knicks made the Finals in 1999, and the Rockets were a 6 seed when they won the title in 1995.

And frankly that first round of the playoffs is still fun, and teams need some playoff seasoning to get over the hump. Why is everyone trying to change the NBA playoffs? They are fine how they are.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never is too harsh. The 8 seed Knicks made the Finals in 1999, and the Rockets were a 6 seed when they won the title in 1995.

And frankly that first round of the playoffs is still fun, and teams need some playoff seasoning to get over the hump. Why is everyone trying to change the NBA playoffs? They are fine how they are.
That was a much different time. The NBA will never be like it was in the 90s. Realistically, for the NBA, it’s more likely that the Dubs win another title than the field. And it’s not even close. After the dubs, it will continue to be a league where only 3-4 teams have a realistic shot at a title. Losing teams shouldn’t be in the playoffs. Letting half the teams in the playoffs almost makes the regular season a waste of time. There’s no chance of the nba reducing the playoffs, though, so you have nothing to worry about.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a much different time. The NBA will never be like it was in the 90s. Realistically, for the NBA, it’s more likely that the Dubs win another title than the field. And it’s not even close. After the dubs, it will continue to be a league where only 3-4 teams have a realistic shot at a title. Losing teams shouldn’t be in the playoffs. Letting half the teams in the playoffs almost makes the regular season a waste of time. There’s no chance of the nba reducing the playoffs, though, so you have nothing to worry about.
As I said theres more to the playoffs than just determining the winner. The actual games are way more fun than the regular season, and lower seeds get a taste of the playoffs to learn how to win. Warriors went to the playoffs for 2 years before they started winning titles.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken but the East also has KP and Griffin, but yeah the West has all the star power. As far as all the talk of playoff (and conference) 'fixes', I'm with you. OK so some team finishes 9th in the West and they are better than the 8th seed in the East. So what? They make the playoffs and get smoked. This is a solution in search of a problem.

And Simmons & Embiid in Philly & perhaps the guards for the Raptors (if not stars then at least very good players who can possibly take a team pretty far). There will also be more moving fwd as guys are drafted & perhaps even some stars will migrate from the West to get a better chance of making the Finals. These things are almost always cyclical.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said theres more to the playoffs than just determining the winner. The actual games are way more fun than the regular season, and lower seeds get a taste of the playoffs to learn how to win. Warriors went to the playoffs for 2 years before they started winning titles.
I actually think the nba playoffs are boring. Baseball is way better. Football is way better. Even hockey is way better. NBA playoffs are almost predetermined. NCAA tourney is a ton better. The nba playoffs are too long. Why watch 4-7 game series when you already know who will win? If you don’t know who will win, it probably means neither team is a contender. Every other sports playoffs are better because of the parity. In the NBA, not so much. It’s hard to get excited about a wizards-pacers series when you know the winner will get smoked by Boston or Cleveland. It’s hard to enjoy the ECF when you know Lebron will go to the title game.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the nba playoffs are boring. Baseball is way better. Football is way better. Even hockey is way better. NBA playoffs are almost predetermined. NCAA tourney is a ton better. The nba playoffs are too long. Why watch 4-7 game series when you already know who will win? If you don’t know who will win, it probably means neither team is a contender. Every other sports playoffs are better because of the parity. In the NBA, not so much. It’s hard to get excited about a wizards-pacers series when you know the winner will get smoked by Boston or Cleveland. It’s hard to enjoy the ECF when you know Lebron will go to the title game.
It's not so predetermined though. Yes last year was, in both conferences. This year are you so sure Cleveland makes it out of the East? Are you sure the Ws are beating the Rockets and/or the Spurs with Kawhi back?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not so predetermined though. Yes last year was, in both conferences. This year are you so sure Cleveland makes it out of the East? Are you sure the Ws are beating the Rockets and/or the Spurs with Kawhi back?
Yep. And Yep.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not so predetermined though. Yes last year was, in both conferences. This year are you so sure Cleveland makes it out of the East? Are you sure the Ws are beating the Rockets and/or the Spurs with Kawhi back
Yep. And Yep.

Lack of parity might be an issue in the NBA but not sure how changing the playoffs or shortening them helps. Still would be Warriors Cavs without the first round

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not so predetermined though. Yes last year was, in both conferences. This year are you so sure Cleveland makes it out of the East? Are you sure the Ws are beating the Rockets and/or the Spurs with Kawhi back

Lack of parity might be an issue in the NBA but not sure how changing the playoffs or shortening them helps. Still would be Warriors Cavs without the first round
Yep. It’s really all a ploy to get money, like all sports. Unlike all sports, they have sold out almost completely. Football is getting close, but football doesn’t have long left.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop... Jesus

Unless you're taking away the fact that each conference overwhelmingly plays the majority of their games against each other. There's just ZERO... and I mean... ZERO argument for sending teams cross conference or putting in the top 16 overall records.

Sending teams cross conference seems to work just fine for the CFL. Last year the Roughriders who finished 4th in their division won their first-round playoff game.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. It’s really all a ploy to get money, like all sports. Unlike all sports, they have sold out almost completely. Football is getting close, but football doesn’t have long left.
You got a problem with money? Go back to Russia you commie!