• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here is how I would fix the NBA playoffs

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thunder would have a higher chance of making the finals than the celtics or raptors in this format

First of all I don't really believe that the Raptors or Celtics will make it to the Finals - I just threw them out there as a possibility (maybe a remote one). Beyond that why is everyone so enamored with the Thunder? They are really not that special - especially in terms of being able to have success in the playoffs. They go on streaks where they win a bunch / lose a bunch / etc. That typically spells disaster in the playoffs. Regardless of format I see them being a 1st or 2nd rd exit type team.

No way in hell do I see the Thunder as potential NBA champs w/their current roster regardless of playoff format. Ditto for the Raptors & Celtics (now w/ a few tweaks perhaps all of these teams could have a shot in a year or two). Again - the format is not the issue - it is the talent level of the various teams.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I don't really believe that the Raptors or Celtics will make it to the Finals - I just threw them out there as a possibility (maybe a remote one). Beyond that why is everyone so enamored with the Thunder? They are really not that special - especially in terms of being able to have success in the playoffs. They go on streaks where they win a bunch / lose a bunch / etc. That typically spells disaster in the playoffs. Regardless of format I see them being a 1st or 2nd rd exit type team.

No way in hell do I see the Thunder as potential NBA champs w/their current roster regardless of playoff format. Ditto for the Raptors & Celtics (now w/ a few tweaks perhaps all of these teams could have a shot in a year or two). Again - the format is not the issue - it is the talent level of the various teams.

Got it but all I was saying, in a 16 team format, I would place OKC ahead of those teams. The top 3 would be Golden State, Houston, and Cleveland

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thunder would have a higher chance of making the finals than the celtics or raptors in this format
Which leads to my point...with the better teams competing no can say for sure what will happen in the end. But, with the current format we pretty much already know which teams will make it & which ones won't, thus making it less likely that viewership will continue to be strong or get stronger throughout the rounds.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it but all I was saying, in a 16 team format, I would place OKC ahead of those teams. The top 3 would be Golden State, Houston, and Cleveland

No problem with that.

Guidry79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I would put the top 16 teams regardless conference in, but it doesn't stop there.

I would also keep the playoffs nominally conference-based.

So that if one conference has 9 or more teams in the top 16, the conference with the surplus sends its surplus teams to the other conference's playoffs.

Right now, under my proposed format, the LA Clippers would qualify as the 8th seed in the East over Miami.

And then I would implement re-seeding after the Conference Quarterfinals.

So, the playoff berths not awarded to division winners officially become designated as "Wild Card" berths. Whether one earns a "Wild Card" berth in their own conference or in the opposite conference would depend on where they place in their own conference (i.e. Clippers are an Eastern Conference Wild Card, while Spurs are a Western Conference Wild Card).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which leads to my point...with the better teams competing no can say for sure what will happen in the end. But, with the current format we pretty much already know which teams will make it & which ones won't, thus making it less likely that viewership will continue to be strong or get stronger throughout the rounds.

OK - I will play along. Let's say they completely switch the format & take the 16 top NBA teams (regardless of conference standings) & seed them accordingly. Please tell me which teams besides the Warriors, Rockets & Cavs have a truly legit shot at the NBA title at this time.

Guidry79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had originally thought that simply taking the Top 16 teams made sense, and blowing up the conference format. But then I realized the travel burdens it would place in the first round. Plus there are geographic rivalries. So I am back to leaving it the way it is. (I also learned that, contrary to intuition, Memphis really is west of Chicago, so I think the geography of the conferences is correct, too! And I am now ready for Jeopardy!)

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - I will play along. Let's say they completely switch the format & take the 16 top NBA teams (regardless of conference standings) & seed them accordingly. Please tell me which teams besides the Warriors, Rockets & Cavs have a truly legit shot at the NBA title at this time.
The fact that you keep asking this same question tells us that you are missing the point. The reason you're able to tell us the exact teams that have a chance (in your opinion) is because there is a gross imbalance in the league -which is part of the reason change is needed. If this change is made you won't be able to pin point ANY team. Try to look at change from a different perspective....rather than just your reasons for rejecting it.

Guidry79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you keep asking this same question tells us that you are missing the point. The reason you're able to tell us the exact teams that have a chance (in your opinion) is because there is a gross imbalance in the league -which is part of the reason change is needed. If this change is made you won't be able to pin point ANY team. Try to look at change from a different perspective....rather than just your reasons for rejecting it.

I am not missing the pt. The Warriors don't win titles because they are in the West - they win because they have the best talent in the NBA - period. You can change the system all that you like - they will still come out on top.

What gross imbalance in the NBA? I already told you that - contrary to what I read here - the standings in the East & West are practically identical. Sure - there may be a few better teams in the West but not to the degree that is being portrayed. GS or the Cavs (or maybe now the Rockets - TBD) will make a deep run regardless.

The fact that you can't name any other legit contenders just validates my pt. I believe it is ridiculous to state that if they change the format you won't be able to identify any major contenders prior to the season. Teams like the Warriors primarily became contenders as they built their team - not when the brackets & seedings were made. Oh well - agree to disagree.

BTW - again - the NBA is considering reseeding team - not determining teams 1-16 based on record so if you are thinking along those lines think again - ain't happening.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep - fair enough - especially if Hayward returns & younger players develop. More likely this is a scenario for the next few seasons & not this year.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - again - the NBA is considering reseeding team - not determining teams 1-16 based on record so if you are thinking along those lines think again - ain't happening.

No point in continuing this debate - you clearly are not one for change. Also, when did the NBA inform you of their plans?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not necessarily about other teams having a shot as much as it is about getting the best finals possible. The Warriors, Rockets, Spurs (if healthy) and maybe OKC are better than anyone coming out of the East.

So, with the new format, we could some combinations of the Warriors, Rockets, Spurs and OKC in the finals. Any of those is likely to be a better matchup than Warriors vs. Cavs again.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing they need to do, is stop having so many nights off between games. Every other night should be enough time.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing they need to do, is stop having so many nights off between games. Every other night should be enough time.

This I agree with. I would have 2 nights off once per series....not 2 or 3X

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I would put the top 16 teams regardless conference in, but it doesn't stop there.

I would also keep the playoffs nominally conference-based.

So that if one conference has 9 or more teams in the top 16, the conference with the surplus sends its surplus teams to the other conference's playoffs.

Right now, under my proposed format, the LA Clippers would qualify as the 8th seed in the East over Miami.

And then I would implement re-seeding after the Conference Quarterfinals.

So, the playoff berths not awarded to division winners officially become designated as "Wild Card" berths. Whether one earns a "Wild Card" berth in their own conference or in the opposite conference would depend on where they place in their own conference (i.e. Clippers are an Eastern Conference Wild Card, while Spurs are a Western Conference Wild Card).

Stop... Jesus

Unless you're taking away the fact that each conference overwhelmingly plays the majority of their games against each other. There's just ZERO... and I mean... ZERO argument for sending teams cross conference or putting in the top 16 overall records.

Also, if you are going to change the schedule in order to make teams play both inter and cross conference games evenly. Why even have conferences?

At the end of the day, letting the majority of your entire league into the playoffs is already extremely f'n generous. If you can't make your way into the top 8 teams of a 15 team conference... what are the odds that your presence in the post-season is all that vital?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop... Jesus

Unless you're taking away the fact that each conference overwhelmingly plays the majority of their games against each other. There's just ZERO... and I mean... ZERO argument for sending teams cross conference or putting in the top 16 overall records.

Also, if you are going to change the schedule in order to make teams play both inter and cross conference games evenly. Why even have conferences?

At the end of the day, letting the majority of your entire league into the playoffs is already extremely f'n generous. If you can't make your way into the top 8 teams of a 15 team conference... what are the odds that your presence in the post-season is all that vital?

Agree.

Cut it to 6 teams in from each conference, give the top 2 teams first round byes and cut the first round series to best of 5 or even 3. Make round 1 like a play in. That way earning a top 2 seed would be worth playing for and the regular season games would become more meaningful too.

2 birds, 1 stone.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.
Cut it to 6 teams in from each conference, give the top 2 teams first round byes and cut the first round series to best of 5 or even 3. Make round 1 like a play in. That way earning a top 2 seed would be worth playing for and the regular season games would become more meaningful too.
2 birds, 1 stone.

There is another bird ... NBA makes money off playoff games (even a first round, crummy series) ... and you just significantly cut into that revenue.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

2 birds, 1 stone.

While I agree that it might make the regular season more meaningful for the top teams and shorter series means a greater chance of upsets, which is also fun. It's never going to happen.

Fewer teams in the playoffs means fewer games. Shorter series means still fewer games. Ticket prices rise for the playoffs as well.

All of this means less revenue and teams aren't giving up those dollars. We're probably lucky they aren't looking at expanding the number of teams that qualify for the playoffs or having 9 game series.

Additionally, more teams in the playoffs keeps more teams in the hunt longer, which means fans stay interested longer...which also increases revenue.