• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Helmet to helmet rule

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ruling as it pertains to O-lineman has upset a lot of people... They're taught from a very young age that the lowest man wins. Now they're being forced to play like sumo-wrestlers.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one more vague stupid rule to allow the refs to determine the outcome of a game. NFL cant tolerate another team with a backup QB winning the SB.
The NFL is being ruined by Godell. You are right. I already can't stand all the "judgement" calls for helmet to helmet when half the time replay shows the defender used his shoulder. Then on the other hand the refs look the other way aND "miss" seeing blatant helmet to Helmet collisions

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really believe not much will change. Like Schlereth said, it allows the refs to make a "judgement" call when they deem it necessary for player protection not just a QB or a "defensless" Wr.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine this rule will get enforced much, ESPECIALLY on offense. Fans are going to go in full outrage mode if their stupid WR/RB fantasy players are constantly getting ejected and the ratings will plummet (since a ton of people watch football solely because of stupid fantasy, sadly - but that's a diff. topic).

So... if a RB/WR lower their head (or QB) then there's zero argument to eject any defensive player unless you eject both of them, otherwise coaches will be outraged and fans will just give up on the sport all together.

So in reality this dumbass rule means it'll probably only be enforced on defensive players for the usual spearing that they already get a 15 yard penalty for, anyway, so what's the point?
It seems like they are going overboard with some of these safety rules.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a impossible rule to enforce. They will be throwing tons of flags and still over looking tons of plays they could throw the flag. The bitching will be epic by fans. Going turn games into a flag fest. Understand the NFL wants to appear worried about safety ( unless money is involved) but this is going make games less attractive by a lot. Nobody wants a flag fest.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to find ways to make the sport safer is fine but if a rule potentially changes how the game is supposed to be played, I have a problem with that. I don't know how picky the refs will be when it comes to this new rule but I hope it doesn't further the NFL pussification effort Goodell has been working on.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to find ways to make the sport safer is fine but if a rule potentially changes how the game is supposed to be played, I have a problem with that. I don't know how picky the refs will be when it comes to this new rule but I hope it doesn't further the NFL pussification effort Goodell has been working on.
Unfortunately I don’t see how pussification can be avoided. Lawyers and such being involved. It’s a violent sport and that what it’s attraction is, once lawyers get involved we the fans are screwed.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL and the owners don't give a rats ass about the fans unfortunately

Mmmm, considering the fans pay for their huge salaries, I'm not sure I follow you at all... Now when I'm talking fans, I'm not talking the die hards that want the traditional football we loved from the 90s and prior (less penalties, full helmet/helmet, kick returns, etc.), I'm talking about the 'fans' in terms of the majority of the people who spend money. That's mostly mom/dads, kids, and stupid fantasy players. That's where money from a ton of ratings not to mention merchandise in stores and $150 worth of concessions for a family of 4 every game is.

Why do you think a) they took action to stop political kneeling crap (good chunk of the Country still is against it), b) canned celebrations that were often thought by the snowflake generation to be distasteful, and most important c) making a TON of changes at the detriment to the game for player safety?

It's because soccer/Facebook Mom's and cuck dads out there these days are the majority target for ratings/money. Not to mention fantasy fans who basically give up watching the sport or get fed up when their superstar offensive WR/RB is injured... because.... FANTASY STUFFZ!!!

Die hard fans like most people on this board are likely going to watch the NFL anyway because we're die hard fans. The NFL really doesn't care about us. We live in a PC nation, and the NFL is doing everything they can to make their sport as PC as possible, which is a complete degradation to the game.

NFL is a business... their SOLE goal is to appease and attract as MANY people as possible and they'll adapt their business however to do so. Do you think major business would have quotas in place to hire equally or diversely simply because, even though certain races/men are better for positions? No. They are doing it because of pressure from political agendas and SJWs so their product doesn't suffer as a result. No difference here.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I don’t see how pussification can be avoided. Lawyers and such being involved. It’s a violent sport and that what it’s attraction is, once lawyers get involved we the fans are screwed.
Yeah I agree. Its ridiculous. I am not happy that I will someday have to explain what a "kick-off" is and how much better football used to be to my kids or grandkids.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that's very noble of you, Brutus.

Sadly that doesn't seem to be how the NFL or Country defines fans anymore. Now it's about how much 'swag' you have and how many games you went to... all while not being able to name the other 50 people on the roster outside of the few Superstars.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's very noble of you, Brutus.

Sadly that doesn't seem to be how the NFL or Country defines fans anymore. Now it's about how much 'swag' you have and how many games you went to... all while not being able to name the other 50 people on the roster outside of the few Superstars.
Casual fans are a necessity, no denying that

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mandatory equipment for the NFL in the future.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No much to though provoke, I don't like the idea of a player tackling someone not being able to lower there head, or a running back, or a QB doing a sneak, the list goes on... Even players are sounding off on how ridiculous it is... You can't take all head collisions out of tackle football, you just can't ... This rule is being made by guy's in suits and ties that haven't played the game..
We were taught all the way back in highschool not to lower our heads, but to see the guy you are tackling. In fact in high school you were taught not to lower our heads for safety reasons. Granted in my day it wasnt because of concussions but neck injuries. So to me teaching professionals that are paid millions to properly tackle......... well I am ok with that.

Now with that said. This rule will probably fuck up this whole season, but they are gonna have to start somewhere.
I still say put them in soft helmets (like boxing gear stuff)

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like they are going overboard with some of these safety rules.

Seeing how it went so far the other way, the only way to get back to the middle of the road is to over correct.

No other way to balance things.

Then you ease up a wee bit after the fear of jehova is in them.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm, considering the fans pay for their huge salaries, I'm not sure I follow you at all... Now when I'm talking fans, I'm not talking the die hards that want the traditional football we loved from the 90s and prior (less penalties, full helmet/helmet, kick returns, etc.), I'm talking about the 'fans' in terms of the majority of the people who spend money. That's mostly mom/dads, kids, and stupid fantasy players. That's where money from a ton of ratings not to mention merchandise in stores and $150 worth of concessions for a family of 4 every game is.

Why do you think a) they took action to stop political kneeling crap (good chunk of the Country still is against it), b) canned celebrations that were often thought by the snowflake generation to be distasteful, and most important c) making a TON of changes at the detriment to the game for player safety?

It's because soccer/Facebook Mom's and cuck dads out there these days are the majority target for ratings/money. Not to mention fantasy fans who basically give up watching the sport or get fed up when their superstar offensive WR/RB is injured... because.... FANTASY STUFFZ!!!

Die hard fans like most people on this board are likely going to watch the NFL anyway because we're die hard fans. The NFL really doesn't care about us. We live in a PC nation, and the NFL is doing everything they can to make their sport as PC as possible, which is a complete degradation to the game.

NFL is a business... their SOLE goal is to appease and attract as MANY people as possible and they'll adapt their business however to do so. Do you think major business would have quotas in place to hire equally or diversely simply because, even though certain races/men are better for positions? No. They are doing it because of pressure from political agendas and SJWs so their product doesn't suffer as a result. No difference here.

Fantasy football is a much greater threat to the game we used to love than safety.

You don't even have to watch the games to give a shit about fantasy football.

I give a shit and watch as many games as I am able to, and keep so fucking far away from fantasy football I can't even see it on the horizon.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Players know the risk though, can't the NFL have them sign something saying you know the risks, it's a contact sport.... It's not like they're being forced to play football.. The game is SO much safer now than it was, but no matter what, you can't eliminate injury completely in a contact sport, it's impossible...