• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Helmet to helmet rule

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine this rule will get enforced much, ESPECIALLY on offense. Fans are going to go in full outrage mode if their stupid WR/RB fantasy players are constantly getting ejected and the ratings will plummet (since a ton of people watch football solely because of stupid fantasy, sadly - but that's a diff. topic).

So... if a RB/WR lower their head (or QB) then there's zero argument to eject any defensive player unless you eject both of them, otherwise coaches will be outraged and fans will just give up on the sport all together.

So in reality this dumbass rule means it'll probably only be enforced on defensive players for the usual spearing that they already get a 15 yard penalty for, anyway, so what's the point?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine this rule will get enforced much, ESPECIALLY on offense. Fans are going to go in full outrage mode if their stupid WR/RB fantasy players are constantly getting ejected and the ratings will plummet (since a ton of people watch football solely because of stupid fantasy, sadly - but that's a diff. topic).

So... if a RB/WR lower their head (or QB) then there's zero argument to eject any defensive player unless you eject both of them, otherwise coaches will be outraged and fans will just give up on the sport all together.

So in reality this dumbass rule means it'll probably only be enforced on defensive players for the usual spearing that they already get a 15 yard penalty for, anyway, so what's the point?

Hopefully it won't get enforced much, but even if it get's enforced very little, it can still impact a game big time, and you never know when they'll call it, or why... It's gonna be another tick tack thing that can screw your team over at the worst time... I hope logic rules out, because this rule has no logic ...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one more vague stupid rule to allow the refs to determine the outcome of a game. NFL cant tolerate another team with a backup QB winning the SB.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully it won't get enforced much, but even if it get's enforced very little, it can still impact a game big time, and you never know when they'll call it, or why... It's gonna be another tick tack thing that can screw your team over at the worst time... I hope logic rules out, because this rule has no logic ...

Yep, the problem with the NFL. "Wait why is this person ejected again?" "But, on this other play the guy didn't..." "Wait, how come he didn't get ejected for that?" "HE GOT EJECTED FOR THAT!?"

That's part of the reason why ratings are tanking (outside of bringing politics into football, nice one dumbass players). Fans simply don't understand why a call is being made these days. The helmet to helmet rule in college has generally been a massive failure as well, with guys getting ejected for completely bullshit calls, usually ALWAYS on defense. QBs that lower their heads NEVER get ejected.

The NFL took 1 step forward with the catch rule change, and then 500 steps backwards with this dumb one.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. This is why the rule book is so large. Spearing is spearing, if you lead with your head and it makes contact it's spearing. End of story. Doesn't matter if it's a defenseless receiver... and all the other garbage they want to throw in there.

Just like a catch. Two hands on the ball two feet down it's a catch.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much time for a new league with simplified rules and no faux concern for millionaire athlete's health.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought I'd say this, but Bayless and Sharpe both made good points there.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL released a video on how to properly run, notice how Forrest's head never ducks down, even when changing direction ...

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not understand why people are opposed to this rule. It's a good damn rule, sure there will be some questionable calls, and it may take a year or two to clarify how the rule is called. But this is progress the league needed to take.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not understand why people are opposed to this rule. It's a good damn rule, sure there will be some questionable calls, and it may take a year or two to clarify how the rule is called. But this is progress the league needed to take.

No it's not, this rule is terrible for the game, you can't tackle without lowering your head, it's not physically possible what they're attempting, you might as well just eliminate tackling... This rule must be thrown out, and I think it will be...

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's not, this rule is terrible for the game, you can't tackle without lowering your head, it's not physically possible what they're attempting, you might as well just eliminate tackling... This rule must be thrown out, and I think it will be...
You really do not understand the rule do you?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thought provoking response, thanks for stimulating the conversation

No much to though provoke, I don't like the idea of a player tackling someone not being able to lower there head, or a running back, or a QB doing a sneak, the list goes on... Even players are sounding off on how ridiculous it is... You can't take all head collisions out of tackle football, you just can't ... This rule is being made by guy's in suits and ties that haven't played the game..

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No much to though provoke, I don't like the idea of a player tackling someone not being able to lower there head, or a running back, or a QB doing a sneak, the list goes on... Even players are sounding off on how ridiculous it is... You can't take all head collisions out of tackle football, you just can't ... This rule is being made by guy's in suits and ties that haven't played the game..
The rule is being made to protect players. Everyone except you realizes it's about safety, they realize the intent is to stop using the helmet as a weapon, and that occurs way to often and is avoidable.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is being made to protect players. Everyone except you realizes it's about safety, they realize the intent is to stop using the helmet as a weapon, and that occurs way to often and is avoidable.

BS... This rule is about the NFL protecting itself from lawsuits... And when you say everyone realized that accept me you better go look at some of the quotes from NFL players... Did you even watch the video I posted ?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS... This rule is about the NFL protecting itself from lawsuits... And when you say everyone realized that accept me you better go look at some of the quotes from NFL players... Did you even watch the video I posted ?
Alright dude you have a nice day, I won't argue with the obtuse.