• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Headlines away from the track: F1

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After long search for other options, Red Bull will stick with Renault engines:

www.autosport.com

So, apparently Red Bull has wanted to develop their own engine all along. They were trying to get Audi/VW to supply the block and internals and jointly develop the rest (ERS unit, etc). VW suddenly had money troubles, so they bought the hardware from Renault.

I hope Audi/VW winds up in next year.

I think "American-based" engine manufacturers like Chevrolet and Dodge should get into F-1 as engine providers. I know it won't happen but Dodge builds engines for several smaller open-wheel series and Chevrolet is in the IndyCar series already. Like I stated, I doubt if it'll ever happen but it's fun to wish!

The other big issue with American manufacturers is they don't have the technology to deliver a hybrid engine solution. Honda has been building hybrids for years and they are struggling badly. Chevy/Ford/Dodge haven't really begun to tap production hybrids. They would be 10 years behind right out of the gate.

Dodge has the best shot as they can have Fiat expertise in house.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this was interesting.

So, Alonso came in with ~5 to go, got a set of super softs and his team threw caution to the wind and told him to turn off all the power restriction that had been in place on the Honda engine all year.

If Honda could just build it so it didn't vibrate to hell and detonate, McLaren might just be back towards the top sooner rather than later.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with all of the turmoil at the top and the race teams complaining of insufficient power plants and suppliers, F-1 apparently continues to push for expansion and growth.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flippin Ferrari whining again. Let's see what Renault and Honda have to say about this. I wonder if this is going to kill Gene Haas's F-1 effort since he is getting Ferrari engines.

If I was Haas, I'd take offers from American engine manufacturers like Chevrolet and Dodge and get on with it just to rub it the noses of the EuroElites like Ferrari and Mercedes.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flippin Ferrari whining again. Let's see what Renault and Honda have to say about this. I wonder if this is going to kill Gene Haas's F-1 effort since he is getting Ferrari engines.

If I was Haas, I'd take offers from American engine manufacturers like Chevrolet and Dodge and get on with it just to rub it the noses of the EuroElites like Ferrari and Mercedes.

I am kind of torn about this. One one hand, I believe F1 should be the pinnacle of all motorsport technology, and as such should not just be for anyone to wander into. Teams, sponsors or drivers.

But then again, I see a budget v6 engine with a turbo as Audi's quickest way to come in and throat punch Ferrari and Merc. And also, it might actually drive the technical superiority of F1. It's become a spec racing series of sorts where choosing the right alloy density for your turbo is the difference between being AMG and being Red Bull. I certainly advocate for more variation. I like the new tire rules, so it stands to reason that I'd like a few different engine specs. A team that shines in Monaco might struggle at Spa based on engine. A quality team might develop both engines and give one to each driver.

Could be fun.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the fans should focus on the teams who get more power and let the noise factor take care of itself as a matter of the engine development over time as the article stated. You can support a team with a loud whimpy engine unless you are a glutton for punishment.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that middle post going to be a vision distractor? Makes little sense to have a post right in the middle of your field of vision.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what is considered minimal? The designers could easily put two posts on the corners out of the way of the field of vision and still have the knaggen protection everyone wants. Put a canopy over the driver and be done with it.