• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HBO Documentary: ELVIS.....THE SEARCHER (2 Parts)

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a brilliant 2 part documentary about Elvis Presley and his times, on HBO.

It is narrated by Priscilla Presley, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Robbie Robertson, and Jon Landau.....and many others. And the documentary explains, how badly, Elvis was mismanaged, by Colonel Tom Parker. Parker almost killed Elvis's career, by making him do awful films. It also explains, how lonely, even great artists can be. Originally, Elvis was not exactly admired in the south.

It's got to be the ultimate doc on Elvis Presley.

I highly recommend it.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I especially enjoyed the 1st 2 hours on his early life and early career with Elvis talking about his influences and experiences, Sam Phillips recounting those first days when he showed up at Sun Studios, the musicians discussing those first sessions... and of course the music he made back then that changed the world. It was fascinating stuff from those who were in the middle of it.

His early heyday was before my time, so everything from that era was fascinating. I've watched much of the 1st 2 hours twice...once with my wife. The 2nd 2 hours covered a lot of ground that I actually remember and watching his downfall wasn't as much fun. But it was all thoroughly enjoyable.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis, at that time, was not exactly, main stream America. He was like somebody, from a different planet.
The south hated him, because he was doing African American's BLUES music..........
The north, didn't exactly understand, rock a billy music.
He was a poor southern kid, who didn't exactly understand "the rules" of music. (thank goodness)
He was drafted into the army, when there wasn't a war.

Just like The Beatles, you can't understand Elvis, without understanding his or their environments and times.
And the younger generations, won't EVER be able to understand who ELVIS or The Beatles truly were. (or judge their music)
You can't separate artists from their times or politics, it's part of their musical DNA.