• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawkeye football offseason thread.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much to talk about at this point. With a lack of speed, uncertain QB play, a defense that struggled, and the coaching practices....Iowa is going to have to play exceptionally well just to beat Illinois St next fall.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much to talk about at this point. With a lack of speed, uncertain QB play, a defense that struggled, and the coaching practices....Iowa is going to have to play exceptionally well just to beat Illinois St next fall.

Here are my big issues on offense...

(1) The receivers need to learn how to get open or catch the ball. There were a lot of 1st down or TD passes that were perfect only to have the player drop the ball. Iowa has decent speed at WR, but they just don't seem to utilize them. Maybe that is a coaching thing, maybe it is a QB thing, maybe it is a WR thing...IDK.

(2) Iowa running backs need to read blocks. It seems they just ran to where they were designed to run, or they hit the hole and then just run straight when cutting left after the hole would be he ran behind the blocker. Many RBs do it in HS, they should be able to do it in a major conference team in FBS. People can say "starts with the coaches", but when the running back can gain 2 yards by just getting the handoff and running straight, and possibly 10 more if he cuts left because he would be running behind his blocker, then I say that is player. 10 guys did their jobs and 1 didn't is a good coaching play to me.

(3) My third is QB. I was disappointed in Rudock this season and became more optimistic about Beathard. Rudock is a smart QB. He very rarely threw dumb passes that resulted in interception or left the WR hanging for a big hit, but he also didn't take too many risks. Both have shown they can be great QBs, but they are so inconsistent.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worried about Iowa's defensive front this year. Iowa's DL was really talented this year, but were not conditioned that well. I think Iowa DBs are are good. King and Lomax will still be strong captains. I hope the LBs just get better like the corps before them did.

Defense is my big worry.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WRs...maybe they were open and Rudock chose to throw to his check downs far too quickly.

The RBs...if the starters can't hit the cutback lane....then why are they starting?

The QBs...I would say that Beathard is the better of the two, but with the offensive game plan...I'm not too optimistic that much will change.

If feel the problems begin, and end, with the coaching staff.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to blame conditioning as the problem with the DL. It's more like our D Linemen play virtually every down. This coaching staff doesn't substitute to keep guys able to play.

The problem with Iowa is it's coach