• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hassan Whiteside Super Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Whiteside over Drummond in a sec... But I did join this sports site for some good ole fashioned debate. So BK... If you were the GM, what club would you pick? FYI, You get A 10 mill bonus when you win the championship... I'll pick as well. Or should we make this a different thread???

Make it a different thread. I will evaluate the roster of Detroit once that thread is up

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nvm this needs to be a thread of it's own...

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be a few... On my phone right now #bliplife

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure he just traded to the Cavs for Tristan Thompson.....

:lol:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) So a guy who just turned 20 three weeks ago can't improve? LOL

2) All of those guys are tradeable assets except for Tyler probably.

3) The offseason wasn't bad at all. If they weren't getting Hayward, this was the best way to spend the offseason. Bring back to core who went 31-10 in the 2nd half last year and make an addition or two.

4) There were no stars at that time of the lottery on paper so saying they fumbled their 1st round pick before seeing the guy play an NBA game is a ridiculous and stupid claim.
LOL

you had to be just as stunned as i was on draft day. I mean- having one center that cant shoot- MAYBE you get a way with. It was always pure delusion that Markkanen would fall so far down in the lotto who would have been by far the best fit--- but when i saw Giles fell there i couldnt believe it. I thought the Heat would steal him.

Just from a pure utility view point- how the hell do you play 2 centers that cant shoot?------ this guy simply is not a PF in todays league- not even close---you cant play him with Whiteside unless you want the middle to be packed tighter than the crowd at a Cavs Finals game----- hey- i would think that most teams in the NBA would realize that in todays league- you can maybe get away with one guy that clogs the middle of the floor- esp. if he does a lot of things well. But spend one of the few good draft assets the Heat have for the next 4-5 years (since they have no 2nd rounders for the next 5 years and are missing 2 first rounders in the next 5 years) on a center that cant shoot when you already had a center that cant shoot?

I just laughed. It made no sense.

and then we all knew--- the Heat had to make their move in free agency this offseason. TJ's contract balloons from 6 million this year to 19 million next year ---- that 13 million difference- (which is over 10% of a teams cap) had to be used this offseason.

And they use it on Kelly Olnyk? Ive heard for years the huge destination that Miami is but they havent been able to bring anyone in there and then Riley just gave up on doing it with the signings he effectuated after Heyward left. Its practically IMPOSSIBLE for them to sign a major tier 1 free agent anytime in the foreseeable future.

Heyward chooses Boston-- a team that historically is krypyonite to free agents---- and the Heat than spent their cap space on over-achievers like Waiters, Johnson - and then Olynk?

and its DEFINITELY not as easy to get off contracts then it was right when the cap expanded on such a huge level

the Lakers struck early- and sent Russell and Mozgov to the Nets---- not many teams are gonna have cap space in the future to just suck up bad contracts. That deal prob wouldnt be avaliable next summer. It was smart to do it when they did. All that cap room has been getting filled. Expiring contracts havent been worth anything lately because of that huge cap jump---- but those teams with space are drying up fast. The Nets taking Mozgov and Crabee effectively take them out of it. Its gonna be HARD to get off contracts in the future. The Sixers are gonna go after stars--- not take on cap flotsam like they have for the last few years.

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks that no one did, huh?
well- if you are just taking about the teams on paper- I think the Cavs added some nice pieces. Just straight acquisitions etc. I think the Cavs did nicely adding Green and Rose. Osman will be interesting as well. He would have been a first rounder if he was in this years draft. I thought adding those 3 guys for a combined like 9 million was pretty good considering their lack of cap room.

Now- the "chaos" that has ensued since Griffin left and the Kyrie trade request is NOT GOOD (an understatement)- but at this point- you want to bet against the Cavs going back to the Finals?

The Heat spent one of their only draft assets for the next 5 years on a bench center and there cap space on 3rd tier players.....They pulled a Trailblazers- locking themselves into a mediocre team with practically zero flexibility- but at least the trailblazers have lillard and a boatload of picks.

Last edited:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well- if you are just taking about the teams on paper- I think the Cavs added some nice pieces. Just straight acquisitions etc. I think the Cavs did nicely adding Green and Rose. Osman will be interesting as well. He would have been a first rounder if he was in this years draft.

Now- the "chaos" that has ensued since Griffin left and the Kyrie trade request is NOT GOOD (an understatement)- but at this point- you want to bet against the Cavs going back to the Finals?

The Heat spent one of their only draft assets for the next 5 years on a bench center and there cap space on 3rd tier players.....They pulled a Trailblazers- locking themselves into a mediocre team with practically zero flexibility- but at least the trailblazers have lillard and a boatload of picks.

would i bet against the Cavs going back to the finals again this season? meh, maybe not. but imo this run's their last crack at a championship...

Cavs go back to normal after this season. Kyrie gone, LeClown gone...

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well- if you are just taking about the teams on paper- I think the Cavs added some nice pieces. Just straight acquisitions etc. I think the Cavs did nicely adding Green and Rose. Osman will be interesting as well. He would have been a first rounder if he was in this years draft. I thought adding those 3 guys for a combined like 9 million was pretty good considering their lack of cap room.

shut the fuck up

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks that no one did, huh?
and as for the Lakers

how nice is it to have competent mgmt.?

it kinda sucks giving up on Russell just to get off a bad contract- but with Ball coming in- you give hi mthe keys to the car. Having Russell there would have been a distraction and would have made thigns harder.

ITs gonna be hard to get off contracts in the future--- expiring contracts are gonna start to be worth more pretty soon with all these teams having their cap space dry up. Making that deal when they did was smart.

Traditional dumping grounds like the Nets and Sixers wont be taking bad contracts going forward. Very very few teams will have that capability going forward.

Itll be interesting to see what they do going forward. Right now- who is their "core"?

Ball (19), Ingram (19), Nance Jr. (24), Randle (22), Zubac (20),

Pope is just one the 1 year deal and is prob not in the long term plans. Clarkson is 25 but if they can get a 2nd big FA he will prob be move

Its why I am skeptical on the LeBron thing- at least NEXT summer- i could see him sticking in cleveland for another 1-2 years - and wait until he sees what the Lakers have.

UNLESS- the Lakers decide to just totally transform the team- try and dump clarkson and deng---- use Ingram and maybe even Ball and some of the young guys as trade chips (a la Wiggins) and just bring in free agents.

LeBron showed in Cleveland and Miami he wants to play with vets. the Lakers have the ability to add players with their cap space and have great trade assets in Ingram and possibly Ball (thouhg i dont see them moving Ball- if LeBron says- trade Ball for a great veteran thats on the market and ill come- you make the deal and dont think twice).

I dont think LeBron is going to want to wait around for a two 19 year olds to develop when - if he signs with the Lakers next offseason- that following Decmeber he will be 34. Can you see a 34 year old LeBron James want to play with 2 20 year olds? That does not seem likely to me.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they Heat had signed Heyward and drafted Giles or - hadnt blown it and been high enough in the lotto to draft Markannen- or Monk- or Kennard- they would be in really good shape

its not even that i think the guy they took is per-se a bad guy. On the right team that has some spacing he would be fine. Olnyk is so slow to play at PF in todays NBA. You cant play this rookie with Whiteside.

Malik Monk, Kennard--- both shooters would have been great acquisitons i nthe draft and complimented the team----- Dennis Smith was a STEAL at #9.....but the Heat wanted those handful of extra wins. Fox was GRAND LARCENY at #5. Markannen was the PERFECT fit at #7

ITs the difference between a Monk or Markannen or Smith------- and a backup center that really doesnt fit.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends on whether or not they can get Kyrie traded and who they get for him. At best, the Cavs stayed the same while other teams got better.

Other teams didn't get better enough to beat a focused Cavs team, but they got better enough to beat one that has gotten worse (if they don't get something good for Kyrie) or a Cavs team with a lot of internal bullshit going on between Kyrie and Lebron. That kind of stuff divides locker rooms, which is never good.

And yet, they still had a better off season than the Cavs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on whether or not they can get Kyrie traded and who they get for him. At best, the Cavs stayed the same while other teams got better.

Other teams didn't get better enough to beat a focused Cavs team, but they got better enough to beat one that has gotten worse (if they don't get something good for Kyrie) or a Cavs team with a lot of internal bullshit going on between Kyrie and Lebron. That kind of stuff divides locker rooms, which is never good.

And yet, they still had a better off season than the Cavs.
yah we are gonna have to disagree there. The Heat made sure they wont be contenders anytime soon with this offseason in my view. They made sure it will be practically impossible to get a major talent anytime soon and with limited picks and bad cap situation that wont change.

I mean- what did the Heat bring in? Olnyk and the back up center? Id rather have Rose, Green and Osman.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and as for the Lakers

how nice is it to have competent mgmt.

Fact!! I was a little concerned re: the inexperience of Magic and Pelinka. But so far, I have zero complaints. I was a little worried that they would try to act too fast to make a big splash when patience is what is called for. But so far, they have avoided that temptation and preserved their cap space.

it kinda sucks giving up on Russell just to get off a bad contract- but with Ball coming in- you give hi mthe keys to the car. Having Russell there would have been a distraction and would have made thigns harder.

The problem for Russell was that he was too immature and he never really fit that well into Luke's offense. As a point guard, he struggled mightily with being the distributor that Luke wants and being the score first guy that he is. Moving him too the 2 spot helped. But even then, he could be a bit of a ball stopper at times.

All things considered, it was probably good for him as well. He gets a fresh start on a team where the expectations will be low.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they Heat had signed Heyward and drafted Giles or - hadnt blown it and been high enough in the lotto to draft Markannen- or Monk- or Kennard- they would be in really good shape

its not even that i think the guy they took is per-se a bad guy. On the right team that has some spacing he would be fine. Olnyk is so slow to play at PF in todays NBA. You cant play this rookie with Whiteside.

Malik Monk, Kennard--- both shooters would have been great acquisitons i nthe draft and complimented the team----- Dennis Smith was a STEAL at #9.....but the Heat wanted those handful of extra wins. Fox was GRAND LARCENY at #5. Markannen was the PERFECT fit at #7

ITs the difference between a Monk or Markannen or Smith------- and a backup center that really doesnt fit.

How many games did these rookies play again?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harry Giles is a huge risk. He has huge bust potential. He was terrible at Duke last year. As for Monk and Kennard, neither are going to be stars especially not Kennard. The Heat were in the top half in 3 point shooting. Shooting is clearly not their issue.

You're making huge assumptions without seeing any of these rookies play. The Harry Giles comment was hilarious though. This guy was the biggest risk in the draft and was never going to go in the lottery. The Kings were able to take a risk on him only because they had 2 other first round picks so it isn't a big deal if they miss on him. You don't take Harry Giles in the lottery. The guy had 2 ACL tears in the last 4 years and was horrible at Duke last year.

Bam is a very athletic big who can guard 3 positions and his offensive game will improve

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harry Giles is a huge risk. He has huge bust potential. He was terrible at Duke last year. As for Monk and Kennard, neither are going to be stars especially not Kennard. The Heat were in the top half in 3 point shooting. Shooting is clearly not their issue.

You're making huge assumptions without seeing any of these rookies play. The Harry Giles comment was hilarious though. This guy was the biggest risk in the draft and was never going to go in the lottery. The Kings were able to take a risk on him only because they had 2 other first round picks so it isn't a big deal if they miss on him. You don't take Harry Giles in the lottery. The guy had 2 ACL tears in the last 4 years and was horrible at Duke last year.

Bam is a very athletic big who can guard 3 positions and his offensive game will improve
"his offensive game will improve"

just like you said winslow 's would right?

not easy to teach a guy to shoot who cant shoot.

monk is not going to be a star? "how many games has he played"? lol.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"his offensive game will improve"

just like you said winslow 's would right?

not easy to teach a guy to shoot who cant shoot.

monk is not going to be a star? "how many games has he played"? lol.

What you don't understand about Kentucky is that they're usually loaded with the top freshman class so guys are usually ask to less than what they're capable of. Everything I read and heard about Bam is that in his draft workouts, he did hit jump shots which led to him improving his draft stock. Actually made 13 of his 25 3's in his workout for the Hornets so yeah this isn't a guy who is some awful shooter. There is actually video of his. Shot looked smooth.
Just wasn't necessary for him to do that at UK due to the loaded talent they had.

As for Winslow, he barely played last year so jumping down my throat because he wasn't good on offense in his rookie year which was expected is stupid