• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has anyone ever developed the YIPS?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Cedrique

We gon' handle this like grown men, you won't win
You don't even feel comfortable in your own skin
Talking stickball like you be from Brooklyn
Ni/gga I was in BK in '09, 'cept I was cooking
Old ass dude who's 40 needs to step back
Step to me, ni/gga I'll break your face and you'll have a heart attack
Catch a whoopin' from me like you got a whoopin' from your mom for cursing
Never the King of Philadelphia, you live in New Jersey
I moved more keys in Devil's Pocket than Billy Joel
Shoot you nine times like 50, that's what you get for fucking with 'O
Sorry, Jadakiss hacked my account

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never caught the crabs or the yips. So I went to 12-inch slow and was the pitcher. It's hard to get the yips from that position.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont get crabs from anal, silly
Are you sure about this? They are little bugs... you don't think they could jump off and be transmitted to someone else like that? That is a very irresponsible statement.

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My yips were at the plate the last season I played baseball. A couple of things didn't help. I never seemed to make the adjustment from hitting off a pitching machine to hitting off live pitchers...which may have been accentuated by a 3-0 pitch in practice before the season that I took a few inches above the family jewels.

For somebody who was always a solid hit, no field player--with a decent (though sometimes wild) arm, excellent speed, and a good head for the game--that was a brutal season to suffer through, even though we finished as the league runner-up.

One of my most memorable moments from that season was a throw I made from just inside the left-center warning track to home plate on one skip...directly into the side of the helmet of the runner sliding into home plate. He was fine. He and I had a laugh about that play the following fall at school, though he sat out the rest of the game as a precaution after getting helped back to the bench.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had the yips in all my years of playing. Pitched and played pretty much every infield position and was pretty decent at most. I played softball for years after my hard ball career was over and even played some mens league hardball up until about 7-8 years ago.

This is my second stint of coaching a coach pitch/5pitch team. My son is 6 and in his second season of 5 pitch. I coached a friends son's team years ago and encountered the same thing.......I cant for the life of me throw to kids. I mean when I throw hard I still can throw strikes in the mid 80's, but when I try to throw to kids I am awful. I can throw 4-5 strikes in a row at times and then I will go off the grid and throw 5-6 balls all over the place, just like I have the fuckin yips or something, it is the strangest damn thing.

Good thing the other guy I coach with was a college pitcher and has no issues throwing to our team, or we would need to find someone else to pitch to these kids

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an Omar original

Yeah, I'll never get why a no talent hack like Prince can sell millions of records but something as brilliant as this only gets 76 hits on youtube. It's an outrage if you ask me.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of. Never while I was playing, but I had to quit because I got tired of my arm hurting every time I threw. My parents basically just told me I wasn't going to be able to play anymore because it kept hurting. Knowing what I know now I realize I'm pretty sure I had a rotator cuff tear, but never did anything about it. To this day I still can't really uncork a throw for fear of getting a sharp stabbing pain in my shoulder, but I can play warm up catch. However, I'm so nervous about hurting my shoulder and thinking so much about my release point and stuff that I consistently sail the ball or pull it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sophomore year of high school I got em for awhile.

Couldn't throw the ball from first back to the pitcher. Wasn't a problem when I was pitching to throw to first. Or from third to first. Or first to third. But on a toss over, I'd jog half way to the mound and lob it underhand.

Killed a couple homeless people, as a sacrifice and it went away.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sophomore year of high school I got em for awhile.

Couldn't throw the ball from first back to the pitcher. Wasn't a problem when I was pitching to throw to first. Or from third to first. Or first to third. But on a toss over, I'd jog half way to the mound and lob it underhand.

Killed a couple homeless people, as a sacrifice and it went away.
Yep. My coach used to make me toss the ball underhand from 10 feet away to the pitcher, otherwise the third baseman would be retrieving the ball every time

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had it in high school, and let me tell you, the shit sucks. I could make a perfect line-drive throw from the outfield fence to the double-cut, but if I was throwing the ball to the regular cut-off, it would be soft and usually go right over his head. Same thing at first base; it got so bad that my coaches and teammates told me to just hold the ball and get the out at first on a ground ball to me with a runner on first base.

There's nothing more humiliating than not being able to do something that should be so easy as throw the ball 20 or 30 feet. It got so bad that I was cut my junior year because I couldn't have a warm-up catch properly. I would lob the ball and throw it 5 feet over the guy's head I was throwing to.

Fangraphs wrote an article on it I saw today. Can Baseball Solve the “Yips”? | FanGraphs Baseball

I had never seen anyone talk about it much before, and I certainly never told my teammates. I'm sure they knew what was going on, even if they didn't know what the "YIPS" were by name.

I've had issues with anxiety all my life (both GAD and OCD), and have a feeling that plays into it. The article mentions "triggers" though, and all joking aside, I can pinpoint one specific event that may have led to my YIPS.

I was 12 and playing for my little league team. We were undefeated at the time (I think 12-0 or something) and were facing the second best team in the league. I was a big part of the team, hitting 5th and playing right field and first base. I finished the year with a .367 average (they never calculated my wOBA:tsk:). With the game tied in like the 5th inning, I was playing right field, and a line drive was hit to me with a runner on third base. It was fairly shallow, and a do-or-die play. I came in and slid and caught the ball, and the runner off third base danced a little but wasn't going anywhere because the ball was hit so shallow. I went to hit the pitcher, who was the cut-off man, but he wasn't lined up with home plate, so I double-clutched. I then panicked and sailed the ball over his head (and the catcher wasn't backing up) and the runner scored. We went on to lose that game, and finished the regular season at 15-1. We lost in the championship to the same team. (It's ok, my second and last year in that division of the league, I hit 3rd and hit .472 with only minimal YIPS. We won the championship my second year and only lost one game the entire season).

Anyway, I think this may have been the catalyst for me developing YIPS. I haven't thrown a baseball in 3 years since I was cut, so I don't know if I still have it.

Does anyone else have any stories they'd like to share about the YIPS, and possibly how they overcame it?

I hate a teammate who did. He was a pitcher by trade but also was the backup 3B. But his yips got so bad from 3B they moved him to the OF and he was throwing the ball in from LF sidearm. Just so bad.

But put him on the mound and he was totally fine.

It's 100% a mental thing.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had baseball yips, but I never thought too much about my throw. I think people who tend to over complicate the throw or get nervous would definitely have an impact though.

I did have a case of the yips in golf. Played on High School team, when I play steadily (out of practice at the moment) I shoot low 80s for a round of 18. That said, was at the driving range one day with my Dad, and shanked a ball (Tin Cup style). Didn't think anything of it... but then proceeded to rattle off like 15 shanks in a row. My Dad and I were like, "WTF?!" Finally I told him to stop watching, shanked a couple more times, then snapped out of it.

You actually start to panic at some point (I'm sure similar with baseball yips) which just makes it worse. You have to calm yourself down... fortunately a bit easier with golf and that's not a team sport. You're not really letting anyone down but yourself.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had baseball yips, but I never thought too much about my throw. I think people who tend to over complicate the throw or get nervous would definitely have an impact though.

I did have a case of the yips in golf. Played on High School team, when I play steadily (out of practice at the moment) I shoot low 80s for a round of 18. That said, was at the driving range one day with my Dad, and shanked a ball (Tin Cup style). Didn't think anything of it... but then proceeded to rattle off like 15 shanks in a row. My Dad and I were like, "WTF?!" Finally I told him to stop watching, shanked a couple more times, then snapped out of it.

You actually start to panic at some point (I'm sure similar with baseball yips) which just makes it worse. You have to calm yourself down... fortunately a bit easier with golf and that's not a team sport.
I have the same problem with the yips when playing golf. Unfortunately I never was actually any good to begin with, but I'll just chalk it up to the yips.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm not a professional, I've never met you and I'm sure you're just going to ignore me, but in all honesty Omar it kind of seems like you might be too quick to call everything that you're unable to do with ease a "condition".

How so? You wouldn't call becoming unable to throw a ball 20 feet after you've done so your entire life the YIPS?

Do you care to comment? I'm genuinely curious as to your opinion.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you care to comment? I'm genuinely curious as to your opinion.

Well, I reconsidered and decided that I'm not doing this. I'm not going down this discussion path at all on here. So you'll have to look elsewhere.