• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has anyone ever developed the YIPS?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had it in high school, and let me tell you, the shit sucks. I could make a perfect line-drive throw from the outfield fence to the double-cut, but if I was throwing the ball to the regular cut-off, it would be soft and usually go right over his head. Same thing at first base; it got so bad that my coaches and teammates told me to just hold the ball and get the out at first on a ground ball to me with a runner on first base.

There's nothing more humiliating than not being able to do something that should be so easy as throw the ball 20 or 30 feet. It got so bad that I was cut my junior year because I couldn't have a warm-up catch properly. I would lob the ball and throw it 5 feet over the guy's head I was throwing to.

Fangraphs wrote an article on it I saw today. Can Baseball Solve the “Yips”? | FanGraphs Baseball

I had never seen anyone talk about it much before, and I certainly never told my teammates. I'm sure they knew what was going on, even if they didn't know what the "YIPS" were by name.

I've had issues with anxiety all my life (both GAD and OCD), and have a feeling that plays into it. The article mentions "triggers" though, and all joking aside, I can pinpoint one specific event that may have led to my YIPS.

I was 12 and playing for my little league team. We were undefeated at the time (I think 12-0 or something) and were facing the second best team in the league. I was a big part of the team, hitting 5th and playing right field and first base. I finished the year with a .367 average (they never calculated my wOBA:tsk:). With the game tied in like the 5th inning, I was playing right field, and a line drive was hit to me with a runner on third base. It was fairly shallow, and a do-or-die play. I came in and slid and caught the ball, and the runner off third base danced a little but wasn't going anywhere because the ball was hit so shallow. I went to hit the pitcher, who was the cut-off man, but he wasn't lined up with home plate, so I double-clutched. I then panicked and sailed the ball over his head (and the catcher wasn't backing up) and the runner scored. We went on to lose that game, and finished the regular season at 15-1. We lost in the championship to the same team. (It's ok, my second and last year in that division of the league, I hit 3rd and hit .472 with only minimal YIPS. We won the championship my second year and only lost one game the entire season).

Anyway, I think this may have been the catalyst for me developing YIPS. I haven't thrown a baseball in 3 years since I was cut, so I don't know if I still have it.

Does anyone else have any stories they'd like to share about the YIPS, and possibly how they overcame it?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I was in center field and it developed in our last two practices before the state playoffs in high school. Could not make routine catches running to my left (I'm a righty so it's my glove side). Got there no problem, ball kept popping out. To this day I have no idea what happened. It's like it was a mental block about just squeezing the glove. Stayed out there for a while trying to fix it. Got better but still wasn't confident.

Of course, playoff time came, tight game, runner in scoring position (couldn't tell you the exact scenario) and I had to make a running catch to my left. Still routine even though I had to catch it on the run. Made the catch and it was over. Never had a problem again.

Oh and won the state championship a few days later.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of had them in Babe Ruth ball once.

Our third basemen missed two or three throws on steals early in the season. I then spent a month or so throwing every ball into left field. Finally went out after one game and just did nothing but throw to 3rd for 10 minutes, and finally got myself out of trying to make a perfect throw.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm not a professional, I've never met you and I'm sure you're just going to ignore me, but in all honesty Omar it kind of seems like you might be too quick to call everything that you're unable to do with ease a "condition".

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I developed the yips playing softball for my work team. Started thinking too much about my grip, release point, etc. Luckily it was beer league (most people drank AFTER the game) so a few beers during the game and it largely went away. Still think about it every now and then, however.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had it in high school, and let me tell you, the shit sucks. I could make a perfect line-drive throw from the outfield fence to the double-cut, but if I was throwing the ball to the regular cut-off, it would be soft and usually go right over his head. Same thing at first base; it got so bad that my coaches and teammates told me to just hold the ball and get the out at first on a ground ball to me with a runner on first base.

There's nothing more humiliating than not being able to do something that should be so easy as throw the ball 20 or 30 feet. It got so bad that I was cut my junior year because I couldn't have a warm-up catch properly. I would lob the ball and throw it 5 feet over the guy's head I was throwing to.

Fangraphs wrote an article on it I saw today. Can Baseball Solve the “Yips”? | FanGraphs Baseball

I had never seen anyone talk about it much before, and I certainly never told my teammates. I'm sure they knew what was going on, even if they didn't know what the "YIPS" were by name.

I've had issues with anxiety all my life (both GAD and OCD), and have a feeling that plays into it. The article mentions "triggers" though, and all joking aside, I can pinpoint one specific event that may have led to my YIPS.

I was 12 and playing for my little league team. We were undefeated at the time (I think 12-0 or something) and were facing the second best team in the league. I was a big part of the team, hitting 5th and playing right field and first base. I finished the year with a .367 average (they never calculated my wOBA:tsk:). With the game tied in like the 5th inning, I was playing right field, and a line drive was hit to me with a runner on third base. It was fairly shallow, and a do-or-die play. I came in and slid and caught the ball, and the runner off third base danced a little but wasn't going anywhere because the ball was hit so shallow. I went to hit the pitcher, who was the cut-off man, but he wasn't lined up with home plate, so I double-clutched. I then panicked and sailed the ball over his head (and the catcher wasn't backing up) and the runner scored. We went on to lose that game, and finished the regular season at 15-1. We lost in the championship to the same team. (It's ok, my second and last year in that division of the league, I hit 3rd and hit .472 with only minimal YIPS. We won the championship my second year and only lost one game the entire season).

Anyway, I think this may have been the catalyst for me developing YIPS. I haven't thrown a baseball in 3 years since I was cut, so I don't know if I still have it.

Does anyone else have any stories they'd like to share about the YIPS, and possibly how they overcame it?
Not in baseball, but I developed a bad case of the yips when chipping in golf back when I was a scratch handicapper and the city golf champion ('93). If I missed a green by only 1-2 yards, it was 50/50 whether I could even chip it onto the green, let alone chip it close. Unfortunately, I discovered that a few certain number of beers would solve the problem, but that led to other problems. :suds:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm not a professional, I've never met you and I'm sure you're just going to ignore me, but in all honesty Omar it kind of seems like you might be too quick to call everything that you're unable to do with ease a "condition".
How so? You wouldn't call becoming unable to throw a ball 20 feet after you've done so your entire life the YIPS?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but a few on my teammates did. I was playing shortstop and on double plays I was doing exaactly what a SS is supposed to do :-)slide" to the bag) touch and fire to 1st... Welp two of my teammates for the life of them couldn't throw it to me unless I was literally standing on the bag... Couldn't tell you have DPs were lost because of that.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but a few on my teammates did. I was playing shortstop and on double plays I was doing exaactly what a SS is supposed to do :-)slide" to the bag) touch and fire to 1st... Welp two of my teammates for the life of them couldn't throw it to me unless I was literally standing on the bag... Couldn't tell you have DPs were lost because of that.
I actually had to move to the outfield because I couldn't make that soft toss from 2nd base. Didn't really develop until I worked on my arm strength in order to become a better pitcher. For the life of me, I couldn't make a throw without gunning it. 2nd base wasn't really a good spot for that.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually had to move to the outfield because I couldn't make that soft toss from 2nd base. Didn't really develop until I worked on my arm strength in order to become a better pitcher. For the life of me, I couldn't make a throw without gunning it. 2nd base wasn't really a good spot for that.

haha, no it certainly isn't. I played 1st for a bit too and I know how the "fire throw" felt like.

God I miss playing!

Right now can't bad knee and I still can't hit to save my life

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I developed the yips playing softball for my work team. Started thinking too much about my grip, release point, etc. Luckily it was beer league (most people drank AFTER the game) so a few beers during the game and it largely went away. Still think about it every now and then, however.
At least it wasn't a dart league........

Seriously, I've noticed as an adult playing different sports like golf,tennis, billiards, whatever that a lot of times the guys who were really successful at a sport or game when they were younger are the ones with the mental blocks and stuff. (probably because they had good coaches and learned the "right way" to hit, throw, shoot, whatever and overthink everything), whereas the guys who are just good athletes and pick up a game later in life do well because they don't have to think as much.

But you're right, I've also noticed for a lot of guys that seem to be getting the YIPS and suddenly find themselves throwing a softball wildly, or tossing gutter balls or double faulting, the answer is found in a couple 12 ounce cans before and/or during the game. Not that I'd advise this for Little Leaguers........

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha, no it certainly isn't. I played 1st for a bit too and I know how the "fire throw" felt like.

God I miss playing!

Right now can't bad knee and I still can't hit to save my life
We're coming up on the 10 year anniversary of the state championship that we won my senior year. Pretty sure most of the guys still live in the area and I just moved back. Hopefully we put together a little game. I'd love to get back out there.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, but i caught crabs in college

its not just a clever name. its actual bugs, living in your pubes

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least it wasn't a dart league........

Seriously, I've noticed as an adult playing different sports like golf,tennis, billiards, whatever that a lot of times the guys who were really successful at a sport or game when they were younger are the ones with the mental blocks and stuff. (probably because they had good coaches and learned the "right way" to hit, throw, shoot, whatever and overthink everything), whereas the guys who are just good athletes and pick up a game later in life do well because they don't have to think as much.

But you're right, I've also noticed for a lot of guys that seem to be getting the YIPS and suddenly find themselves throwing a softball wildly, or tossing gutter balls or double faulting, the answer is found in a couple 12 ounce cans before and/or during the game. Not that I'd advise this for Little Leaguers........
Did you just overtly call yourself a good athlete?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just overtly call yourself a good athlete?
I don't know if it's overtly or covertly you mean. I'm a decent athlete. My point was that when you get to the old people's sports someone like me who wasn't on a bunch of state championship teams can compete with guys who were better athletes and were heavily coached because they do more thinking and analyzing of the mechanics than someone like me or others who don't know any better.

If you don't believe me meet me at the quad at 5:30. I'll play you one on one stickball for all the money!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if it's overtly or covertly you mean. I'm a decent athlete. My point was that when you get to the old people's sports someone like me who wasn't on a bunch of state championship teams can compete with guys who were better athletes and were heavily coached because they do more thinking and analyzing of the mechanics than someone like me or others who don't know any better.

If you don't believe me meet me at the quad at 5:30. I'll play you one on one stickball for all the money!
I meant covertly, punk. Thanks for correcting me- it's the last time you'll ever correct me, or anyone else for that matter after I dismember your old and irrelevant ass in stickball! Be there or be square

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Cedrique

We gon' handle this like grown men, you won't win
You don't even feel comfortable in your own skin
Talking stickball like you be from Brooklyn
Ni/gga I was in BK in '09, 'cept I was cooking
Old ass dude who's 40 needs to step back
Step to me, ni/gga I'll break your face and you'll have a heart attack
Catch a whoopin' from me like you got a whoopin' from your mom for cursing
Never the King of Philadelphia, you live in New Jersey
I moved more keys in Devil's Pocket than Billy Joel
Shoot you nine times like 50, that's what you get for fucking with 'O

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant covertly, punk. Thanks for correcting me- it's the last time you'll ever correct me, or anyone else for that matter after I dismember your old and irrelevant ass in stickball! Be there or be square
damn, I just remembered I have to take my uncle to the chiropodist. It will have to wait til another day.....