• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Happy Oversigning Day!

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I have to wonder if people think having a discussion/debate on an internet forum and disagreeing means that person is mad - are you the ones actually upset?

Does this mean every time you disagree with someone you are worked up?

Weird post for a guy with over 18K posts on this forum. :pound:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird post for a guy with over 18K posts on this forum. :pound:

Having disagreements != upset/mad

If it did, I'd probably post way less and have no where near 18k posts.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having disagreements != upset/mad

If it did, I'd probably post way less and have no where near 18k posts.

18K+....and counting.. :pound:

And not a one worth reading. :L

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18K+....and counting.. :pound:

And not a one worth reading. :L

In other news, I was actually wrong about the 90 number.

2 of them are senior walk-ons that were given scholarships for this spring as a reward(had extras to give out) and will be coming off the list for next year, so Alabama is actually @ 88 right now.

2011 (4)
Ryan Kelly
Isaac Luatua
Bradley Sylve
Jabriel Washington

2012 (16)
Ryan Anderson
Dakota Ball
Chris Black
Denzel Devall
Kenyan Drake
Brandon Greene
Adam Griffith
Cyrus Jones
Korren Kirven
Darren Lake
Dillon Lee
Alec Morris
Reggie Ragland
Geno Smith
Alphonse Taylor
Dalvin Tomlinson

2013 (19)
Jonathan Allen
Anthony Averett
Cooper Bateman
Jonathan Cook
Raheem Falkins
Reuben Foster
Robert Foster
Derrick Henry
Grant Hill
O.J. Howard
Eddie Jackson
Tyren Jones
Walker Jones
Cole Mazza
Bradley Bozeman
A'Shawn Robinson
Maurice Smith
ArDarius Stewart
Tim Williams

2014 (25)
Tony Brown
Joshua Casher
Ronnie Clark
Jacob Coker
David Cornwell
Shaun Dion Hamilton
Johnny Dwight
Rashaan Evans
Ty Flournoy-Smith
Josh Frazier
Da'Shawn Hand
J.C. Hassenauer
Keith Holcombe
Marlon Humphrey
Dominick Jackson
Laurence Jones
Derek Kief
Christian Miller
D.J. Pettway
Ross Pierschbacher
Jarran Reed
Cameron Robinson
JK Scott
Cameron Sims
O.J. Smith

2015 (26)
Blake Barnett
Deionte Thompson
DeSherrius Flowers
Ronnie Harrison
Dallas Warmack
Brandon Kennedy
Bo Scarbrough
Jonathan Taylor
Michael Nysewander
Parker Barrineau
Calvin Ridley
Richie Petibon
Mekhi Brown
Shawn Burgess-Becker
Matt Womack
Daron Payne
Keaton Anderson
Adonis Thomas
Anfernee Jennings
Kendall Sheffield
Damien Harris
Hale Hentges
Joshua McMillon
Daylon Charlot
Lester Cotton
Minkah Fitzpatrick

The 2015 has 26 instead of 24 because that is where the 2 walk ons are listed.

One day after signing day, Bama has 90 on scholarship. | SECRant.com

AUEdt8b.gif

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Grayshirting is one of the worst practices being employed by the people who engage in oversigning.

Nothing is wrong with grayshirting as long as the kid knows that is an option from the start. Some kids actually need a grayshirt/prep year to physically develop and ease the transition to college both on the field and off. The problem is when shitty coaches are selling immediate playing time to kids then tell them they are going to have to wait a year to join the program.

Like everything else in football now-a-days.....a few shitty people in the cfb world have to ruin and take advantage of what should be a good thing for some of the kids.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recinding an offer from a commit is one of the worst offenses that can be classified under the umbrella of oversigning.

That said, by your math, Saban has signed 120 kids to scholarships over the last five years (give or take, since you cited an average.) The maximum number he can have on scholarship is 85. That means that a third of his signees (roughly) can not complete five years on scholarship at Alabama. That is worse than the 67.3% graduation rate (in six years) that is reported for the student population at large at the University of Alabama (according to the Chronicle of Higher Education 2012 report that is available online.)

Any school that has an athletic program with a higher attrition rate than that of the general student population should be appalled. But any athletic program that BANKS on an attrition rate that is higher then the general student population is downright disgusting.

I really wish that I could say that Nick Saban is the only one of is guilty of this garbage, but I can't. However, he is certainly the best at exploiting his scholarship athletes through this practice.

You missed the point entirely. Not all commits receive a scholly. Some don't make the grades. Take Kerry Murphy for example. He was listed in 3 straight recruiting classes as a commit but had to go the Juco route. He counts as 1 and not 3. Some commits never make it to campus for valid reasons. Bama has had several commits sign a pro baseball contract, Destin Hood, Melvin Ray for example. Everyone counts commits as a scholly without enough knowledge of the actual roster. So please link us an article where Saban has ever rescinded an offer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Grayshirting is one of the worst practices being employed by the people who engage in oversigning.

I think it depends on how the grayshirt happens. If the kid is told up front that grayshirting is a possibility and chooses to commit anyway, then I don't see a problem. The kid has been told up front and he has agreed to it.

When grayshirting becomes a problem, imo, is when a kid arrives on campus thinking he has a scholarship and gets told he's going to be grayshirted.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on how the grayshirt happens. If the kid is told up front that grayshirting is a possibility and chooses to commit anyway, then I don't see a problem. The kid has been told up front and he has agreed to it.

When grayshirting becomes a problem, imo, is when a kid arrives on campus thinking he has a scholarship and gets told he's going to be grayshirted.

I agree, Trojan. The players recruited and signed to schools who indulge in this practice have stars in their eyes as well as beside their names. They think they are "all that" because that's what they have been led to believe most of their lives. I'm sure it is a shock for them to learn that they will be "grayshirted," not to mention the fact that they have passed up opportunities to play for other schools. The NCAA should allow players who are grayshirted to choose that option or to be released from their LOIs.

I'm wondering how the advent of 4-year scholarships will affect this practice.