• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guy shoots 127 at US Open Qualifier.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough day at the office for this guy.

Golf: 'Pro' golfer shoots 55-over 127 in U.S. Open qualifier

Golf, unlike any other sport, can expose personal flaws in a variety of ways.

One golfer, trying to qualify for next month's U.S. Open at Erin Hills Golf Course in Wisconsin, exposed not only his inability to play golf, but also his inability to recognise his own flaws.

Clifton McDonald, a "professional", shot a 127 with a 68 on the back nine - his front side - on Wednesday at Silver Lakes in Glencoe, Alabama.

How did McDonald get in the field?

Well, normally amateur players must prove they have a 1.4 handicap or lower to gain entry into a local U.S. Open qualifier, but McDonald was somehow listed as a pro.

The result was not pretty, and it really hurt the serious golfers playing with and around him, like Lee McCoy for instance. The former college All-American managed to advance with a 70, but he was stuck behind McDonald all day. He ultimately posted McDonald's scorecard on Twitter.

McDonald proved the age-old saying of "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should".

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C_gqq3tWsAApblP.jpg

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually don't like it when I see guys walk off the course after starting off with a bad few holes, but in this case I believe it would have been best for his playing partners if he called it a day, somewhere on his front nine.
Maybe this was a bucket list deal?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually don't like it when I see guys walk off the course after starting off with a bad few holes, but in this case I believe it would have been best for his playing partners if he called it a day, somewhere on his front nine.
Maybe this was a bucket list deal?

Yeah I think at some point you have to realize this is a fruitless effort.

We played a tourney for maybe 12 yrs...a 72 hole (eventually shorten to 54 holes) stroke play event, you had to hole out.

We had a player shoot a 140...he got stuck on a forced carry hole that wrecked his round, his tourney, and really ruined the rest of his golf trip. The forced carry looked more daunting than what it actually was...maybe a 180 yds on a line towards the 150 marker. But the more you tried to cut off, obviously the longer the carry was. The guy was hitting good tee balls but was aiming at a point where he probably need to carry it 220-230...put maybe 6 or 7 balls in the water...carded a 17 on the hole.

The real sad part was he had to face that hole 3 more times, none of them better than dbl, it left some scar tissue. In hindsight we should've had a dbl par pick up rule, but we had such big egos about our shitty games back then.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think at some point you have to realize this is a fruitless effort.

We played a tourney for maybe 12 yrs...a 72 hole (eventually shorten to 54 holes) stroke play event, you had to hole out.

We had a player shoot a 140...he got stuck on a forced carry hole that wrecked his round, his tourney, and really ruined the rest of his golf trip. The forced carry looked more daunting than what it actually was...maybe a 180 yds on a line towards the 150 marker. But the more you tried to cut off, obviously the longer the carry was. The guy was hitting good tee balls but was aiming at a point where he probably need to carry it 220-230...put maybe 6 or 7 balls in the water...carded a 17 on the hole.

The real sad part was he had to face that hole 3 more times, none of them better than dbl, it left some scar tissue. In hindsight we should've had a dbl par pick up rule, but we had such big egos about our shitty games back then.

I generally don't believe in forced carry holes. What is the point? There are guys who can't hit it far that are scratch or better, and there are guys who can hit it a mile that don't know what fairway their next shot will be in.

I played with a pro who was a plus 3 hdcp at a course where on the 2nd hole there was a forced carry of over 260. He put a few in the hazard, and it ruined his day. We did not know how far the carry was, and it looked less than 260. Having long holes is fine, but why make someone carry it over 260?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Geeze! After he posted that 14 somebody should have yanked his ass off the turf. Or at the very least, when he carded that 11 at the turn, he should just walked off the course.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geeze! After he posted that 14 somebody should have yanked his ass off the turf. Or at the very least, when he carded that 11 at the turn, he should just walked off the course.

So you are his playing partner and have to record his scores.
Cliff, what you make on that hole? Uh, give me a minute. 7 in the hazard, drop, whiff, 4 putt. Putt me down for a 14.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having long holes is fine, but why make someone carry it over 260?

I very rarely can hit it 260 + straight. Pulling it, yeah, I can go that long...no problem. But my drives are generally in the 200-240 range.

I know I've done it at the swing cage in a GolfSmith, but even then I felt like they were jacking up the yardage just so they could sell me a new driver.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I very rarely can hit it 260 + straight. Pulling it, yeah, I can go that long...no problem. But my drives are generally in the 200-240 range.

I know I've done it at the swing cage in a GolfSmith, but even then I felt like they were jacking up the yardage just so they could sell me a new driver.

Right, after someone has a bad round, there is nothing like teasing them with a $500 driver to make them forget their problems.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally don't believe in forced carry holes. What is the point? There are guys who can't hit it far that are scratch or better, and there are guys who can hit it a mile that don't know what fairway their next shot will be in.

I played with a pro who was a plus 3 hdcp at a course where on the 2nd hole there was a forced carry of over 260. He put a few in the hazard, and it ruined his day. We did not know how far the carry was, and it looked less than 260. Having long holes is fine, but why make someone carry it over 260?

Forced carries...you don't see them on many Tour courses. There is one course (Reunion Golf Club in Braselton) I play quite a bit, the 1st 3 holes are all forced carries...on all of those holes (including the 18th) there's a ravine dividing the teeing area from the fairway on the white, blue and tips tees. These are not very long carries if you are on correct tee box, but at the same time you can't dribble one 40 yds.

Come to think of it...my favorite course really doesn't have many forced carries. Tree lined, but fairly wide landing areas, but tons of bunkers. I like a lot of the Jack Nicklaus designs, most are too expensive for me to play regularly, but they typically are wide enough for the average golfer to at least get the ball in play...but the 2nd shots require some skill to make par.