• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guy just sold his Cy Young card for $300 on Pawn Stars

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep up with mine, keep it all crated up and inside the house. The wife wanted to see if I would move it to the attic, no chance. About 3-4 years ago I got all of them out in the game room and sorted them. Took me about 3 weeks of working every night for about 3 hours to get them sorted. First sorted all of them into sport, then brand, then year and bought boxes to put them all in. One day I want to order them by number, but that probably won't happen. Judging by what the boxes I bought hold and how many full boxes I have I came up with an estimate of about 52k loose cards. Then on top of that I have three dozen or so factory sets. In the new house the cards take up a good part of the game room closet, but I'm not going to expose them to the Texas heat and cold in the attic. I don't have a rock star collection since I started in 87 and then just bought random older cards than that, but even if I averaged $.10 for all of them the collection would still be worth over $5k and I know there are much more valuable cards than that in there.

Crud, I think last I checked even 89 Topps, the most oversold baseball card ever, commoners are worth .05 to .10 each. Now when I get bored I surf ebay to see if anyone is unloading a collection or a good price on boxes or sets. I mentioned in another thread I have been buying up '89 Upper deck sets and boxes. One of these days Griffey will go to the HoF and I'll cash these puppies in. And yes, they are a declared value in my homeowners insurance policy.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes..fuck me...

fuck me too because I also had like 5 of those 1985 mcgwire olympic cards

:burt:

I've still got at least 10 of them. They were cheap, then expensive, then CRAZY cheap during the steroids thing. Are they valuable again? I bought a literal "lot" of them on eBay for $10 years ago.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i keep thinking im going to jet my old collection from my parents house one day, but i keep forgetting. who knows what i might find in there

Good idea. I had an old stash I found a few years ago. At first, they all looked liked they were all common cards, until I found 3 Bret Favre Pro Set rookie cards.
They're not worth that much, but still a good find. I've always had a habit of keeping any rookie cards I get, just in case they that player turns into something great, like Favre.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have about 15,000 cards from the late 80's and early 90's. Also have a few from older sets like Yastrzemski/Aaron "League Leader" cards, Denny McClain en sech. Also have some from the 40's I got from an old friend when he passed.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i lost all mine ....had some jordans,griffeys,etc.......not sure how much it is worth but i had the super bowl 25th anniversary set and got ed'too tall'jones to sign his card

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i lost all mine ....had some jordans,griffeys,etc.......not sure how much it is worth but i had the super bowl 25th anniversary set and got ed'too tall'jones to sign his card

Heh, you didn't grow up in a suburb just north of DFW did you? I landed a signed Too Tall from a card shop in I guess about 1990. Couldn't tell you the year, but it is a blue Score card. I was pack betting and wagered the owners card in the case against my pack. I won obviously.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, you didn't grow up in a suburb just north of DFW did you? I landed a signed Too Tall from a card shop in I guess about 1990. Couldn't tell you the year, but it is a blue Score card. I was pack betting and wagered the owners card in the case against my pack. I won obviously.

nope woulda lost mine around around the 2000's

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just went and looked at my collection.....

I have a Michael Jordan Rookie Card in 10.0 Mint Condition......in a glass case screwed shut.

I have a Kobe Bryant Rookie Card in 10.0 Mint Condition......in a glass case screwed shut.

Then I have another very rare Jordan card that they only made a few of, it's also in Mint Condition and screwed shut.

I have a Shaq Rookie Card, but the corners are not perfect anymore......

These cards won't be worth shit right now..........but I'm hangin on to them for the future.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe's Rookie card was worth $150 when I first got it...............worth $25 now