• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gruden to the Raiders

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the rivalry
Gruden was not that good in TB. He rode Tony Dungy's talent to a SB in 2002 mainly because he knew the signs in the SB. Otherwise after that, one really good season and a bunch of average and well below average seasons.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the rivalry
Gruden was not that good in TB. He rode Tony Dungy's talent to a SB in 2002 mainly because he knew the signs in the SB. Otherwise after that, one really good season and a bunch of average and well below average seasons.
He did compile a 40-28 record with the Raiders, with one of the playoff losses being controversial to this day. So I don't think he simply rode Dungy's talent at TB, and I doubt TB makes it to the SB that year without Gruden. However, it is possible that the rest of the league caught up to him and he didn't adjust as well as long standing HC's do.

Not sure how his second stint will work out. He's been away from that facet of the game for a LONG time. I suspect this might not be as good a move for the Raiders as they think it is.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did compile a 40-28 record with the Raiders, with one of the playoff losses being controversial to this day. So I don't think he simply rode Dungy's talent at TB, and I doubt TB makes it to the SB that year without Gruden. However, it is possible that the rest of the league caught up to him and he didn't adjust as well as long standing HC's do.

Not sure how his second stint will work out. He's been away from that facet of the game for a LONG time. I suspect this might not be as good a move for the Raiders as they think it is.

When they had Rich Gannon right? Chucky is back

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just glad he was not an option for Denver. I do not think he will be the saving grace for the Raiders but he will be a really wealthy man thanks to them.

Yam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the rivalry

To be fair, he built the team that he beat in the Superbowl.

The team he won the Superbowl with, Dungy couldn't win with. Those teams were all Monte kiffins d carrying that team. Chucky finished the job off.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he built the team that he beat in the Superbowl.

The team he won the Superbowl with, Dungy couldn't win with. Those teams were all Monte kiffins d carrying that team. Chucky finished the job off.
Yes I said he won a Super Bowl and then what
Not much

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It brings a lot of hype and nostalgia to the Raiders despite his tenure with the Raiders (1998-2001) resulting in a 2-2 playoff record. It’s also intriguing. He’s been popular in sports media and may be enough to boost attendance both in the final Oakland years and the honeymoon period once the move to Vegas. I’m not pencilling them in for multiple Super Bowls but I think they’ll have some good seasons under him.

Yam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I said he won a Super Bowl and then what
Not much
Well, you said he won bc he knew the signs.

I pointed out the team he faced he built as well.

I'm curious what he's learned in his time off the field or if the game passed him by

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most coaches that return after an extended time away from the game do not come back strong. Art Shell, Mike Ditka, Joe Gibbs, Tom Flores, and Paul Brown are all names that come to mind trying to return after a while away from the game. All failed miserably.

Only one that had any success was Dick Vermeil.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gruden will be fine. He needs to find an OC and DC that he can trust. But he's a good communicator and he knows how to push people. I don't think he'll be a step down from Del Rio and I do think he has a chance to be better. So, at worst, this should be a lateral move that builds hype for the franchise.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gruden will be fine. He needs to find an OC and DC that he can trust. But he's a good communicator and he knows how to push people. I don't think he'll be a step down from Del Rio and I do think he has a chance to be better. So, at worst, this should be a lateral move that builds hype for the franchise.

I agree that I don't think he will be a terrible coach. I'm just not sure that he is the guy that gets them over the hump either. Right now there is a lot up in the air of this whole situation. Such as I've heard that Gruden will be given GM control as well and that McKenzie will be out the door. I would say that with him being out of coaching that long to then also have GM duties is just too much.

His staff from rumors are going to be

OC--Greg Olson. Honestly not a great hire. Most expect Gruden will be calling the plays anyway so not sure how important this hire really is. His last OC job was with Jacksonville and well they were a bottom-10 offense. Before that was Oakland and again bottom-10 offense.

DC--Paul Guenther. He is the guy that became the Bengals DC after Zimmer went to the Vikings. I think this is a decent hire although day 1 with Cincinnati he inherited a top-5 defense. His first year on the job they went from 3rd in points allowed to 12th. His second year though they finished 2nd. 3rd year 8th. This last year was his worst with them finishing 16th.

ST--Rich Bisaccia. Worked with Gruden his entire time in Tampa Bay. Most recently he was the STC of the Cowboys. I would say this one is a pretty good hire. Cowboy's special teams have been a top-10 unit the last couple of years.

Overall decent staff depending on the positional coaches they hire. I would say Olson is a step down at OC (again if Gruden is calling the shots then this is a bit moot). Guenther is a step up and Bisaccia is a step up from what they have had.

Reactions: Yam

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Gruden is a very overrated head coach and a terrible analyst.

(This could come back to bite me)

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden will provide a merchandise sales spark and a renewed sense of optimism amongst the Raider faithful. It's similar to when Elway came back to the lead the Broncos or Kubes' long awaited return. However, I just don't think Chucky's the answer in Oakland and we'll soon be experiencing sweet crocodile tears from Oakland fans as their season is dashed yet again, and again, and again, and again. The sweet cycle of the AFC West!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe his side of the story.

It has been well documented that Tim Brown has been talking crap about the Raiders since he retired. Something is up between him and management.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe his side of the story.

It has been well documented that Tim Brown has been talking crap about the Raiders since he retired. Something is up between him and management.
Jerry Rice also supported Brown's story.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me guess Callahan made Rich Gannon throw 5 ints in that game? 2 for touchdowns?

Or was he in on the sabotage?

Yeah, I don't believe Callahan let Gruden win that SB at all.

Way too much riding on the line for an unproven coach who could have proved a lot after that game.

Way too many players involved to get them to "throw" the game.

I don't by it at all.

Do I think Callahan was a good coach? No! Maybe they didn't agree with his game plan, maybe it was an excuse for why they lost. Maybe they were bitter their HC left them right before a SB run and beat them with another team?

But I don't believe Callahan just let another coach win a SB because they were good friends.
That sounds like something out of the grade schoolers mouth. The Raiders have had issues with Tim Brown since he retired from them and this has been one that has come up with Brown quite often since.