• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Griffey To Cincy Article

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things I didn’t realize.

A. The Braves wanted A-Rod. Obviously every team did but not with the Griffey talks

B. Gillick didn’t want Cameron. I knew there was a good reason I hate the dude…I kid

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things I didn’t realize.

A. The Braves wanted A-Rod. Obviously every team did but not with the Griffey talks

B. Gillick didn’t want Cameron. I knew there was a good reason I hate the dude…I kid
See, I have read a million stories on this trade and I knew I never heard these two things before. I wanted someone else to say it just to see if it was just me or my old memory. I double-read it just to make sure on those points. Thank you!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I have read a million stories on this trade and I knew I never heard these two things before. I wanted someone else to say it just to see if it was just me or my old memory. I double-read it just to make sure on those points. Thank you!
The way I took it was depressing and kind of the same old mariners epitome. They screwed up with Randy, then were trying to “shop” Griffey but teams were saying na you are going to lose ARod too.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I took it was depressing and kind of the same old mariners epitome. They screwed up with Randy, then were trying to “shop” Griffey but teams were saying na you are going to lose ARod too.
They should have shopped AFraud then and started new. They could have gotten the farm for him. Maybe even Andrew Jones in that deal.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have shopped AFraud then and started new. They could have gotten the farm for him. Maybe even Andrew Jones in that deal.
100% agree but from the article every team Gillick talked to essentially said you are losing ARod the next year so we aren’t giving you our top SS unless you sweeten the pot. So it appears the Mariners were the only team that thought they could resign him? Even though every team knew they couldn’t. Makes no sense.

Plus it just seems bonkers with hindsight that they didn’t want Cameron even though he made us all forget about Griffey (as much as we could) against the Yankees when the teams cleared the benches but ARod and Jeter stood at 2B like dbags. My older brother made me go to that game, but without Griffey I wanted nothing to with the Mariners cause as a kid it felt to me they chose ARod.

Should’ve have put the longest and largest contract in front of ARod after 97 and if he didn’t sign then shop him and resign Griffey for more. I firmly believe it was an either or with Griffey and ARod and I also believe because of how crappy the environment was with those two, Chuck made some terrible comments about Randy that I don’t think he would’ve made and Randy wouldn’t have sandbagged 98 like I think he did.

Sorry for the long one, but it is a side question cause I don’t really look things up but has a franchise ever lost 3 of the 4 best players in the sport in 3 consecutive years? Let alone had to choose between the best player and third best player. Let alone both left for really shitty reasons and ARod got treated like trash but everyone in the stands were crying for Griffey. At least every guy my age were crying when he came up to bat. Obviously 3 different question but still.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the long one, but it is a side question cause I don’t really look things up but has a franchise ever lost 3 of the 4 best players in the sport in 3 consecutive years? Let alone had to choose between the best player and third best player. Let alone both left for really shitty reasons and ARod got treated like trash but everyone in the stands were crying for Griffey. At least every guy my age were crying when he came up to bat. Obviously 3 different question but still.
Nope. And has any team ever had 2 managers quit and want out in the same decade? We did.

Should’ve have put the longest and largest contract in front of ARod after 97 and if he didn’t sign then shop him and resign Griffey for more. I firmly believe it was an either or with Griffey and ARod and I also believe because of how crappy the environment was with those two, Chuck made some terrible comments about Randy that I don’t think he would’ve made and Randy wouldn’t have sandbagged 98 like I think he did.
I agree on AFraud. Make the offer, then deal him if he says no. Never let them walk.

I disagree that Griffey left because of AFraud. Maybe one of many things, but I will go to my grave believing that if we never left the Kingdom Griffey never would ave left. Safeco hurt Jr's ego.

The Randy thing ws just strange. Armstrong asking him how his dad was doing a couple months after he died. That is worse that Mathers mispronouncing Kelenic.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. And has any team ever had 2 managers quit and want out in the same decade? We did.

I agree on AFraud. Make the offer, then deal him if he says no. Never let them walk.

I disagree that Griffey left because of AFraud. Maybe one of many things, but I will go to my grave believing that if we never left the Kingdom Griffey never would ave left. Safeco hurt Jr's ego.

The Randy thing ws just strange. Armstrong asking him how his dad was doing a couple months after he died. That is worse that Mathers mispronouncing Kelenic.
You and I will disagree about the Safeco thing. Had he pushed it they could’ve changed up RF and the right gap somehow. They changed the CF batters eye as soon as some anonymous player complained. They have switched it up several times out there then Felix became the icon and haven’t really done much since. I’m not an architect so I can’t pretend that it would be easy but they could’ve done something for him somehow, either do something with the stadium, try to have MLB change up the scheduling or something.

IMO the whole stadium was designed for him and Edgar but they never took into account how dead the ball would become. Which to be fair it has only been dead for Mariners. There has been numerous opposing LH hitters who constantly kill it. If a RH hitter like Trout can be HOF caliber in the ballpark Junior and the Mariners could’ve figured it out.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I will disagree about the Safeco thing. Had he pushed it they could’ve changed up RF and the right gap somehow. They changed the CF batters eye as soon as some anonymous player complained. They have switched it up several times out there then Felix became the icon and haven’t really done much since. I’m not an architect so I can’t pretend that it would be easy but they could’ve done something for him somehow, either do something with the stadium, try to have MLB change up the scheduling or something.

IMO the whole stadium was designed for him and Edgar but they never took into account how dead the ball would become. Which to be fair it has only been dead for Mariners. There has been numerous opposing LH hitters who constantly kill it. If a RH hitter like Trout can be HOF caliber in the ballpark Junior and the Mariners could’ve figured it out.
He could have figured it out but too lazy. He wanted it handed to him. He was a Diva.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have figured it out but too lazy. He wanted it handed to him. He was a Diva.
Sure, but he was our first real diva. That article just bugged because of what other GM’s thought of the Mariners. As well it debunked two big things that have been parroted since he came back, that Cinci was his only choice and that the death was primary reason for him wanting out of Seattle.