• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Griffey statue

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look forward to seeing it tonight.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty awesome. Edgar deserves one as well if not more. The Marlins is having a 9' statue of Jose Fernandez so you don't need to be in the HOF to have one. Btw, it's their business but for the Marlins to build a statue of Fernandez is pretty crazy. The kid pretty much killed himself and 2 other people.

Anyone remember Victor Sanchez? The M's prospect that died in a boating accident? Perhaps a statue is warranted as well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty awesome. Edgar deserves one as well if not more. The Marlins is having a 9' statue of Jose Fernandez so you don't need to be in the HOF to have one. Btw, it's their business but for the Marlins to build a statue of Fernandez is pretty crazy. The kid pretty much killed himself and 2 other people.

Anyone remember Victor Sanchez? The M's prospect that died in a boating accident? Perhaps a statue is warranted as well.

Kind of cold...but I had the same thought.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The statue looks great. I like the level of detail that went into it.

edit: As far as an Edgar statue goes... I wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement during his number retirement ceremony in August that a statue has been commissioned and that it will be put in the same area as Griffey's next season.

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The statue looks great. I like the level of detail that went into it.

People might want to go look at it ASAP, the statue might get mad and leave if it gets its feeling hurt.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People might want to go look at it ASAP, the statue might get mad and leave if it gets its feeling hurt.
Ouch... thats the one thing most people dont realize about Griffey. He acted like a real bitch towards this organization but they have to go all out for him due to his accomplishments here. I was genuinely pissed with the way he left for Cincy and i do believe that he would've retired Red if his career didn't turn to bad in Cincy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch... thats the one thing most people dont realize about Griffey. He acted like a real bitch towards this organization but they have to go all out for him due to his accomplishments here. I was genuinely pissed with the way he left for Cincy and i do believe that he would've retired Red if his career didn't turn to bad in Cincy.

My first favorite player was Johnny Bench (Mariners first year and they were never on TV and Reds were always on TV). Then it was Griffey from the time he was drafted until he acted like a deva and asked out because he couldn't bunt for home runs in Safeco like the Kingdome. Then of course the return only to get his feelings hurt and drive away in the middle of the night and get a solid reporter bounced. So ya, not much of a fan anymore.

Build me an Edgar statue then I am all for it...and Felix down the road.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first favorite player was Johnny Bench (Mariners first year and they were never on TV and Reds were always on TV). Then it was Griffey from the time he was drafted until he acted like a deva and asked out because he couldn't bunt for home runs in Safeco like the Kingdome. Then of course the return only to get his feelings hurt and drive away in the middle of the night and get a solid reporter bounced. So ya, not much of a fan anymore.

Build me an Edgar statue then I am all for it...and Felix down the road.
I see a bronze statue of Felix's perfect game pose in the future.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Ichiro get one?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lean towards saying yes in Ichiro's case. Edgar no question. Felix no question.

Is there anyone other than those guys that have a prayer?

Howard Lincoln? :pound:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro will be first ballot. Absolutely no doubt.

So you think he gets a statue in Seattle? I think it will be interesting to see.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Ichiro gets a statue. He wasn't connected with the fans enough.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my thought initially too. But what are the parameters and how picky are they going to be? I think he gets in based on how good his numbers were.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get one as long as the Mariners need reason to fill the seats rather than actually, you know, winning.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could argue Randy Johnson should have gotten one, but then you look at his overall career and see how much better he was after he left than he was when he was here and the case for giving him a statue here kinda dissipates despite him being arguably the second most recognizable player for the Mariners in the 90's behind Junior.

Here's a question for you guys... If the Cincinnati part of Junior's career wasn't as plagued by injuries as it was and he ends up, say, breaking Aaron's home run record as a Red, does he get into the HOF as a Mariner or a Red, and if he goes in as a Red, does he still get his number retired and a statue here in Seattle? I think he still would even if he went into the Hall as a Red, but I don't think it would be as easy a "Yes" as it ultimately was.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question for you guys... If the Cincinnati part of Junior's career wasn't as plagued by injuries as it was and he ends up, say, breaking Aaron's home run record as a Red, does he get into the HOF as a Mariner or a Red, and if he goes in as a Red, does he still get his number retired and a statue here in Seattle? I think he still would even if he went into the Hall as a Red, but I don't think it would be as easy a "Yes" as it ultimately was.
I think he still does... He was the first true "great" player for the Mariners. The love for him may have been less for Mariners fans overall though. I still think he would be thought of as the guy that built Safeco though.