• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Green Bay Packers roster cuts

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Green Bay Packers have until 3 p.m. Saturday to reduce their roster to the NFL-mandated 53 players.

Unlike in past years, there is no cutdown to 75 prior to the fourth exhibition game, so teams can carry 90 players all the way to the deadline.

However, most teams, the Packers included, will start paring their rosters as the week goes on.

Here is a list of players the Packers have released since Monday:

• Derek Hart, long snapper
  • Colby Pearson, wide receiver
  • William Stanback, running back
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ates-green-bay-packers-roster-cuts/610149001/

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they'll hold on to most of them so they're not playing key guys in the final preseason game.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they'll hold on to most of them so they're not playing key guys in the final preseason game.

This makes sense. Several players are on the bubble so it's time to put up or shut up. Joe Haden was just cut by the Browns. It will be interesting to see what other veterans get cut over the next couple of days.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes sense. Several players are on the bubble so it's time to put up or shut up. Joe Haden was just cut by the Browns. It will be interesting to see what other veterans get cut over the next couple of days.

Welcome, @Mack.

game

Hoopla Cash
$ 9.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are going to be some talented WR's cut from this team. If Ted knows anything, it's WR's.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are going to be some talented WR's cut from this team. If Ted knows anything, it's WR's.
I really hope we can stash Clark on the PS

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope we can stash Clark on the PS

I doubt anyone would use a roster spot for him at this point.

I think Gunter will get cut this year. He played about as well as could be expected last year, but he just doesn't have the speed necessary.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt anyone would use a roster spot for him at this point.

I think Gunter will get cut this year. He played about as well as could be expected last year, but he just doesn't have the speed necessary.

SI recently did a mock expansion draft under similar rules used in the NHL expansion draft. Only one offensive and defensive player could be chosen per team and Gunter was the guy chosen from the Packers on the defensive side of the ball. I chucked at that then and I chuckle at it again now that you name dropped him. ...I agree with you.

What Might an NFL Expansion Draft Look Like?

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think there is any way we cut him. He is super cheap and has a ton of starting experience at a position that is still shaky.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think there is any way we cut him. He is super cheap and has a ton of starting experience at a position that is still shaky.

Hawkins and Pipkins are super cheap and have more upside. I could be wrong but don't see Gunter playing for the Packers this year.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkins and Pipkins are super cheap and have more upside. I could be wrong but don't see Gunter playing for the Packers this year.

The injuries at OLB seems to be more of a concern right now. Lets hope Brooks has something left in the tank to contribute.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest concern will be, like it has been for several years now, is the defense. Will the pass rush and the secondary take a step forward or do we see a repeat from last year. If there isn't an improvement, will they finally move on from Capers? I will be impressed if the secondary cuts down on the passing yards given up and they get off the field on 3rd down.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest concern will be, like it has been for several years now, is the defense. Will the pass rush and the secondary take a step forward or do we see a repeat from last year. If there isn't an improvement, will they finally move on from Capers? I will be impressed if the secondary cuts down on the passing yards given up and they get off the field on 3rd down.

For the first time in a long time, I feel there's solid depth at CB. I think we've got two starting CBs out of this group; the problem is I'm not quite sure who they are yet. We had zero starting CBs the last few years; just guys that were thrust into that role out of necessity. I think this year will go a long way to figuring out who the starters are and next year it will be a position of strength.

The pass rush is a different story. We're going to get good production out of Daniels. Who else? Injuries to Matthews and Perry are to be expected at this point. Other guys need to step up and make an impact. We also need to see at least one of the linebackers step up and be an asset in pass coverage against TEs and RBs - also a long-standing weakness.

I think we're going to have a pretty good run defense.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time in a long time, I feel there's solid depth at CB. I think we've got two starting CBs out of this group; the problem is I'm not quite sure who they are yet. We had zero starting CBs the last few years; just guys that were thrust into that role out of necessity. I think this year will go a long way to figuring out who the starters are and next year it will be a position of strength.

The pass rush is a different story. We're going to get good production out of Daniels. Who else? Injuries to Matthews and Perry are to be expected at this point. Other guys need to step up and make an impact. We also need to see at least one of the linebackers step up and be an asset in pass coverage against TEs and RBs - also a long-standing weakness.

I think we're going to have a pretty good run defense.

the problem is I'm not quite sure who they are yet. This made me chuckle because I feel the same way. The 2 CB's I don't trust are House and Randall. I don't know why they brought House back and Randall is just horrible in coverage. the Rookies scare me to but im hoping they will contribute immediately.

Daniels is a beast but after that im not sure neither. it does seem to be a common theme that CMIII will miss several games because he cant stay healthy so hopefully Brooks can step up.

You're right, except for a game or two, the run defense has been solid and for the most part the defense as a whole do pretty good on 1st and 2nd down. Its 3rd down they have had trouble with in the past.

Im skeptical but hopeful at the same time. Time will tell.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem is I'm not quite sure who they are yet. This made me chuckle because I feel the same way. The 2 CB's I don't trust are House and Randall. I don't know why they brought House back and Randall is just horrible in coverage. the Rookies scare me to but im hoping they will contribute immediately.

Daniels is a beast but after that im not sure neither. it does seem to be a common theme that CMIII will miss several games because he cant stay healthy so hopefully Brooks can step up.

You're right, except for a game or two, the run defense has been solid and for the most part the defense as a whole do pretty good on 1st and 2nd down. Its 3rd down they have had trouble with in the past.

Im skeptical but hopeful at the same time. Time will tell.

I think Randall can still turn the corner. DBs - much more often than not - struggle their first two years in the league and figure things out in their third. I'm still holding out hope for him. If he is still a liability after this year, he will not stick in this league.

I can't hate the House signing because it added depth, competition and a veteran presence in the young secondary. It was also on a low-cost 1-year deal. I don't think he's a long-term answer, but a reasonable bridge to help develop the young guys.

Yeah, 3rd downs have most certainly been a problem. Really, it has been a defensive scheme flaw in relation to the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel. Capers likes to sit back on 3rd & 7 or longer and protect the first down line with zone coverages. That works if you have 2/3 of: a good pass rush, good coverage LBs and veteran CBs with good defensive awareness; however, the last few years we have had 0/3 of that criteria. Man coverage is simpler to grasp for young DBs, so it would've been wiser to man up more often than he has in those situations.

Against average QBs, they really should be blitzing more on 3rd downs than they do. Also, never should they ever send just three, but they do on 3rd & long frequently. Even the crappiest of QBs can find an open guy in any zone of the field if there's absolutely no pressure on him.

Against good QBs, guarding the line is a better bet - keep the open guys in front of the line, rally to the ball and tackle him short. The biggest problem there is that our young DBs have had terrible zone coverage awareness and teams with decent QBs rip off 20+ yards on 3rd & 12's routinely. More experience and awareness in our DB corps should begin to negate that weakness this year and going forward. However, that still doubles back to my point about needing a better pass rush and LB coverage. If one of those two also improve, this team is going to be a very tough playoff out.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollins had the best overall camp of any DB in camp. Hawkins was very impressive and is the fastest DB on the team. Gunter had great last game that might win him a spot. Randall is complete garbage and the injury excuses are growing tiresome. Sure he makes the occasional int but it's not worth seeing him 10 yards behind the WR every other pass. House in 2015 was the best bump and run CB in the AFC. However they went to zone defense and he struggled. If we just use him in bump and run vs then he can shut down the best WR's in the game. King is talented but his experience and lack of awareness are to low to get much playing time this season.

Perry and Matthews are always injured. Elliot flashes potential but he never comes through in the reg season. Frackell is below average and Vince could already be damaged goods with that foot issue. Brooks is all but washed up but could be a solid team leader and fill in occasionally when needed.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunter had great last game that might win him a spot.

Yeah, I think Gunter solidified his spot on the team last night.

Pretty much everyone who played in the second half of the game will be chopped this weekend. I'm thinking both Callahan and Hill will get chopped too and GB will run with 2 QBs this year to open a spot for extra depth at another position. One of those two QBs should wind up on the practice squad.