• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Green Bay Packers have released tight end Martellus Bennett

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he clears waivers and his shoulder is good....Sign him!!!!!! This would be big.

Any team claiming Bennett would be inheriting his contract, which extends through 2019 and calls for a $2 million bonus to be paid early in the 2018 league year. That is manageable both in the short and long term. They could also decide not to pay the bonus and not have any obligations on their salary cap for 2018 and 2019. The bottom line: Bennett's contract shouldn't be a road block to a team claiming him. If anything, it would be viewed as a bargain. One reason for the Patriots (if interested) to claim Bennett, instead of hoping he clears waivers and then signing him as a free agent, would be to eliminate competition in an open-market setting.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he clears waivers and his shoulder is good....Sign him!!!!!! This would be big.

Any team claiming Bennett would be inheriting his contract, which extends through 2019 and calls for a $2 million bonus to be paid early in the 2018 league year. That is manageable both in the short and long term. They could also decide not to pay the bonus and not have any obligations on their salary cap for 2018 and 2019. The bottom line: Bennett's contract shouldn't be a road block to a team claiming him. If anything, it would be viewed as a bargain. One reason for the Patriots (if interested) to claim Bennett, instead of hoping he clears waivers and then signing him as a free agent, would be to eliminate competition in an open-market setting.

I read this night but could not copy/paste on my phone...not without my glasses anyway.

Yes.
Bill, make it happen and cut Allen.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett has said he wants to retire after this year, good way to go out with a bang...and another ring!!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why is GB done with him? Undisclosed injury? Is that code for something else?

On the contract, a little less than half of 7 mill for the most important games plus playoffs? Yeah, that's a good deal. If you add in Allen's money, about 3.5 mill if they cut him now, it turns out the same as if they just paid Bennet his 7 mill (unless his roster bonus is somehow prorated).

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one will claim him and pay the remaining amout of his contract.

Bennett officially becomes a free agent at 4:00 PM Thursday Nov. 9, 2017.

Rumors here are that the Patriots have already reached out to Bennett and have offered the Veteran Annuall Salary which is around $850,000. Nothing more. You can pretty much expect that his agent will come back with a counter offer and if he decides to play for the Patriots it will be for around $2M.

He knows the system and can run the routes. Shoulder be damned. Somebody will have to cover him and Gronk in the Red Zone and 3 other receivers to boot.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intere4sting discussions on the radio.

No one has claimed Bennett because no one wants the remainder of his 3 year $21.6M. He's owed that, a $2M bonus in March and a $37,500 per game bonus for every game he plays.

That said,there reports that several teams have contacted him and have told him that they will sign him for more than the Patriots offer him, just to keep him off the Patriots roster. My guess is that Denver, Oakland and probably the Bills are in that mix. According to what I can understand, the Patriots have roughly $8M available under the cap. They won't give it all to Bennett, but my guess is that they'd be willing to give him half to take some of the load and the beatings off Gronk. If they cut Allen, then that number would jump by about $2M.

Everyone's waiting for 4:00 PM .............about 10 minutes.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is he knows GB will not have a chance this year so he wants a shot at winning. Also, possible his attitude changed quite a bit when Rodgers went down and GB wants to cut their losses.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just went to pick up my grandson from football practice (His team plays on Thanksgiving every year) and listened to everything from local Boston to national FOX, ESPN and Sirius and there wasn't a peep.

It will probably happened quickly and quietly.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claimed off waivers by pats!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why is GB done with him? Undisclosed injury? Is that code for something else?

On the contract, a little less than half of 7 mill for the most important games plus playoffs? Yeah, that's a good deal. If you add in Allen's money, about 3.5 mill if they cut him now, it turns out the same as if they just paid Bennet his 7 mill (unless his roster bonus is somehow prorated).
Bennett quit on the team after Rodgers went on IR.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he was at practice this morning so whatever's wrong with his shoulder wasn't bad enough to prevent him passing their physical.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers are saying he's been playing the entire season with a torn rotator and labrum.

Bennett said yesterday that if that's true, the medical people who examined him, didn't tell him that he had these injuries.

I tore my upper rotator 75% and lower rotator 50% and severed my bicep. I fell down three stairs carrying a baby. I stiff armed a carand landed with my right arm extended. The baby never touched the ground and believe it or not, didn't wake up. I handed the baby to his mother, and thought I had broken my kneecap. Had x-rays and had the skin and flesh pulled back over my knee. That pain was horrible. Didn't know I had done the arm and shoulder damage until I went to the golf coursethe following Saturday. I teed off on the first tee and dropped like a rock to my knees from the shoulder pain.

That was in October of 2003. They couldn't fit me in for surgery until a week before Christmas. 5 hours of surgery and everything was repaired. I never could swing a gold club correctly after that and gave it up.

I can't imagine Bennett playing and trying to extend and pull down passes if he has an injury as severe as the Packers say it is. And he was practicing and catching passes today........

Someone is tellin' fibs.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tore rotator cuff and could do anything but throw a ball.
I'd expect alligator arms though.....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tore rotator cuff and could do anything but throw a ball.
I'd expect alligator arms though.....
Luckily TB likes throwing low in the field of play. He tries not to get his receivers killed.

The EZ may be a problem?

I like the way this team is trending. Marty B seemed to be appreciated by the team and coaches. He always had good things to say about his team mates and the coaches. Dola was quoted as being happy he's back. Brady naturally had to say that as well. With Brady I'm sure it's sincere as now he may have a little blocking help and possible receiving option.

Go NE.

All you Pat fans hold the fort down. I'm off to Thailand again for 3 weeks. Going to look for some property. Will be retiring there in the not so distant future. So hard to keep up on the chat and watching the games.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily TB likes throwing low in the field of play. He tries not to get his receivers killed.

The EZ may be a problem?

I like the way this team is trending. Marty B seemed to be appreciated by the team and coaches. He always had good things to say about his team mates and the coaches. Dola was quoted as being happy he's back. Brady naturally had to say that as well. With Brady I'm sure it's sincere as now he may have a little blocking help and possible receiving option.

Go NE.

All you Pat fans hold the fort down. I'm off to Thailand again for 3 weeks. Going to look for some property. Will be retiring there in the not so distant future. So hard to keep up on the chat and watching the games.

TB likes throwing low in the field, tends to throw high downfield.
Marty could be a very good decoy.

If I get back to Japan, I might come visit.
Change your name to SE.ASIA PATSFAN?????

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB likes throwing low in the field, tends to throw high downfield.
Marty could be a very good decoy.

If I get back to Japan, I might come visit.
Change your name to SE.ASIA PATSFAN?????
You'd be welcome to come visit. Good idea on the name change. Sitting in the Seoul airport waiting fot our next plane.