• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest SF Giant Ever?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omar likes fights and numbers. There isn't much room for anything else in his world.

The idea of posing a question to spark discussion is alien to him.
I don't like fights. I wish you had just said Barry Bonds and then I wouldn't have commented and could have gotten more homework last night.

As for numbers, yeah, I love them. They're what baseball is made of. And if you don't adopt that mentality, good luck winning consistently in the future (I don't know how sabermetrically inclined Brian Sabean is. I always viewed him middle of the pack when it came to understanding and valuing players).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds is, IMHO, the greatest to ever play (sorry Willie, Babe and Ted). But he was never able to cross the finish line, even with some rather impressive lineups (and rotations) playing behind him. He also, as stated by others, brings a lot of "muck" to the discussion.
Do you know how much luck goes into winning a championship? You should- considering Cody Ross, Aubrey Huff, Andres Torres, Pat Burrell, Edgar Renteria, Travis Ishikawa, etc.

Since there's so much variability, and anything can happen in one game (a concept that apparently, after watching baseball in ~35 years of watching the game, you still don't understand- see WBC thread), let's just say for the sake of argument that Bonds and the '02 Giants didn't blow a 3-1 lead and won game 7, and let's just say, for the sake of argument, that Buster Pussy and co. didn't win the 2014 WS. Now you're looking at a 2-1 WS deficit. Doesn't sound all that amazing, huh?

But no, you cannot comprehend any scenario but what happened, and Barry Bonds is a choker while Buster Posey and Mad Bum are just so "clutch." They probably have that coveted clutch gene all of you quantitative sports fans love so much, like Skip Bayless.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know how much luck goes into winning a championship? You should- considering Cody Ross, Aubrey Huff, Andres Torres, Pat Burrell, Edgar Renteria, Travis Ishikawa, etc.

Since there's so much variability, and anything can happen in one game (a concept that apparently, after watching baseball in ~35 years of watching the game, you still don't understand- see WBC thread), let's just say for the sake of argument that Bonds and the '02 Giants didn't blow a 3-1 lead and won game 7, and let's just say, for the sake of argument, that Buster Pussy and co. didn't win the 2014 WS. Now you're looking at a 2-1 WS deficit. Doesn't sound all that amazing, huh?

But no, you cannot comprehend any scenario but what happened, and Barry Bonds is a choker while Buster Posey and Mad Bum are just so "clutch." They probably have that coveted clutch gene all of you quantitative sports fans love so much, like Skip Bayless.

Exactly.... if Mays or Bonds won the 1st championship in San Francisco this would be a no-brainer discussion.... but that's not what happened. Posey won the 1st championship here, then went on to win 2 more and gather an MVP along the way. He anchored the lineup and the pitching staff in each season.

This isn't all about the numbers.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.... if Mays or Bonds won the 1st championship in San Francisco this would be a no-brainer discussion.... but that's not what happened. Posey won the 1st championship here, then went on to win 2 more and gather an MVP along the way. He anchored the lineup and the pitching staff in each season.

This isn't all about the numbers.
It's almost always all about "the numbers."

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your mind.

In this thread, you seem to be the only one who doesn't get the bigger question.
Well, yeah, but I am dealing with Giants fans....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah, but I am dealing with Giants fans....
First, Yankee and Ray fans have also contributed to the thread, fully understanding the point.

Second, you realize your comment acknowledges that Giants fans are more intelligent than you, right?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, Yankee and Ray fans have also contributed to the thread, fully understanding the point.

Second, you realize your comment acknowledges that Giants fans are more intelligent than you, right?
Giants fans, nor any other type of fan, will ever be more intelligent than me pertinent to the topic of baseball.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just really compare two of the best players to play the game, nearly universal top 5 picks on the "Greatest MLB player ever" list, to Buster "Hold My Purse As I Round Third" Posey?
Shag yer butt back to your dead philth board, ya troll.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shag yer butt back to your dead philth board, ya troll.
I'm the troll, when you and your buddies are insinuating Buster Posey could be the greatest player to don a Giants' uniform?

Must be something in the Bay-Area water:der:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, since you want to move the goalposts. Bernie Williams is a better outfielder than Reggie Jackson? C'mon man. It's great (for cocksmokers) that Posey won you guys three championships. But he didn't do it alone. He had a LOT of help. And his career just isn't Bonds' or Mays', even if he wins three more championships for you guys.

And there it is: give an idiot enough rope and he'll hang himself. A homophobe and mentally challenged. Awesome.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there it is: give an idiot enough rope and he'll hang himself. A homophobe and mentally challenged. Awesome.
Not a homophobe in the least. Fully in favor of the current situation with gay's being allowed to marry.

If I'm a homophobe, you're a bigot, for suggesting that mentally challenged people are intrinsically inferior to non-mentally challenged people.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm the troll, when you and your buddies are insinuating Buster Posey could be the greatest player to don a Giants' uniform?

Glad we agree, now beat it, creepy.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a homophobe in the least. Fully in favor of the current situation with gay's being allowed to marry.

If I'm a homophobe, you're a bigot, for suggesting that mentally challenged people are intrinsically inferior to non-mentally challenged people.

Wow, so much fail here. Truly, one doesn't come across this much condensed fail very often. Bonus points for terseness.

1. Non-homophobes don't use the term "cocksmoker." I knew most of us are a bit older than you so trust my decades of experience listening to slurs like this. Just like non-racists don't use the N word or the K word, among others.
2. Bigot:
noun
noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots
a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Re-read your sentence, consider your diction, and learn.

Further, I was fully suggesting that mentally challenged people are at a definite disadvantage when discussing topics that require....um, how shall I put it....MENTAL ABILITY. Yours seems deficient. Pointing that out doesn't make me a bigot (see definition above). Rather, it makes me ACCURATE.

Now, feel free to scurry away like the philthfan you are.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably one of the few that has seen Mays actually play. A lot! I saw him enter the league as a rookie and finish his career. While I understand the question and most of the responses I also feel that most people here are comparing apples and oranges. Baseball in the Mays era was very different that in was to day. Most of it was spent with 8 teams in the NL and 8 teams in the AL. There were no divisions for much of his playing career. There were no wild cards or extended playoffs. You won the NL and played the winner of the AL. As good as Mays was it's very difficult to carry a team all by yourself from the season start to the season's end. Mays was an offense force and one of the most complete baseball players I have ever seen. Baseball was very different prior to 1969 when they started to expand. They had 16 teams for a good part of his career. Now they have 30. the game is just not the same. As a kid there were MANY 20 game winners year after year. I even remember Denny McClain's 30 win season. Today a 20 game winner is rare. It's just a different game today. In his era of baseball I think Mays was the best Giant to play the game. Bonds is a different player in a different era. He was probably the most exciting Giant I have ever seen in any era. His father wasn't bad either! But Bonds' accomplishments will forever be questioned because of the era he played in. I personally don't care. I'm not a baseball purest. He was a great player with tremendous natural talent. I can't say he was better than Mays nor can I say Mays was better than Bonds. I just don't see how you compare very different eras of the sport. IMHO Bonds was the greatest offensive force I have ever seen play the game. His defense was Ok but not in the same catagory as Mays. I have always felt that Mays was a pure 5 tool player. I'm not sure I would consider Bonds a five tool player. On Buster. I still think the jury is out. He is a great catcher for sure. I just want to see what the next few years bring. I'd like to compare Buster's career to Johnny Bench when his playing days are over.

I also found the mention of Timmeh very interesting. I do agree that for that 3 year span he was just awesome .... but as a Giant fan I'd have to go with Juan Marichal when all was said and done. he was one of the most dominant pitchers I have ever seen take the mound as a Giant.

I do think the question is interesting ... but I'm not sure how you can rate and rank players that played in different eras .....

For me the greatest Giant to play the game was Mays .... the greatest SF Giant was Bonds

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He never said that. You're just too ignorant to understand what he's saying.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The three in my username, of course.

In terms of what they mean to the fanbase, Bonds and Timmy have to be part of the discussion.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays, McCovey, the rest.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marichal absolutely belongs on the short list. But I don't think he cracks the top 3.

IMHO, I think you need to be the "face of the franchise" to be considered. During much of Stretches tenure, Mays was still the face. Bonds was clearly the face during his tenure. Clark was the face for his. This is actually a bit of a knock against Posey. Is he the face, or is Bum? In '10, was it him or Timmeh? In 20 years, when we look back at this era, who will we think of first?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie Mays w/o a doubt.