• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest SF Giant Ever?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Omar is getting hung up on the straight numbers here. Cal left the door open for interpretation. He didn't ask for the greatest hitter, greatest influence, greatest pitcher, he asked for the greatest San Francisco Giant, and that is a criteria that covers a lot of things.

This franchise changed when Buster Posey was drafted. Things were drastically different the year he came in, which coincided with Bonds' departure (Bonds final game in 2007, Buster drafted in 2008). The dude is the best catcher in the game, and has been for quite sometime, and he's done it on teams that have won big. Carrying the offense and pitching along the way.

The Giants have had some dark times since moving to San Francisco. Posey made all those a bit grey-er.

This isn't me saying Posey is the clear choice, this is me saying yes he's in the discussion.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds

Posey isn't that far behind the other two as far as Giants greatness. You have to take the 3 Championships into account and the fact that he was the leader on those teams. Numbers wise he does not belong in the conversation with Mays and Bonds, but what he means to the franchise is different.

BTW @calsnowskier Mays won a championship in 1954.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Omar is getting hung up on the straight numbers here. Cal left the door open for interpretation. He didn't ask for the greatest hitter, greatest influence, greatest pitcher, he asked for the greatest San Francisco Giant, and that is a criteria that covers a lot of things.

This franchise changed when Buster Posey was drafted. Things were drastically different the year he came in, which coincided with Bonds' departure (Bonds final game in 2007, Buster drafted in 2008). The dude is the best catcher in the game, and has been for quite sometime, and he's done it on teams that have won big. Carrying the offense and pitching along the way.

The Giants have had some dark times since moving to San Francisco. Posey made all those a bit grey-er.

This isn't me saying Posey is the clear choice, this is me saying yes he's in the discussion.
Omar likes fights and numbers. There isn't much room for anything else in his world.

The idea of posing a question to spark discussion is alien to him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds

Posey isn't that far behind the other two as far as Giants greatness. You have to take the 3 Championships into account an d the fact that he was the leader on those teams. Numbers wise he does not belong in the conversation with Mays and Bonds, but what he means to the franchise is different.

For the SF Giants?

I missed that one.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds

Posey isn't that far behind the other two as far as Giants greatness. You have to take the 3 Championships into account and the fact that he was the leader on those teams. Numbers wise he does not belong in the conversation with Mays and Bonds, but what he means to the franchise is different.

With the New York Giants though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds

But yea, his numbers don't compare with 2 of of the 4 greatest players in the history of the game. But when you look at a franchise, you look at way more than numbers.

Bum has put together one of the most impressive post season resumes in the history of the game. But his regular season success (so far) is simply very good. It isn't elite.

Clark had some nice seasons, but hardly all-time worthy. But non-Giants fans do not understand his importance to this organization over the last 30 years. He does not deserve the title, but he AT LEAST deserves to be mentioned during the brainstorming phase.

Timmeh was the crier who announced the coming of the greatest era in SF Giants history. He did this while collecting 2 CYs and performing as the best pitcher in the game fir a 3-year period. He burned bright in his short career.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think quite a bit of bias comes in to play, but that's not a bad thing. The guy it probably hurts the most is Willie Mays, because not many people here actually saw him play, but then again Willie Mays is STILL a Giant, he has been in SF and with the team every year that I can remember (fuck the Mets). He's had an influence over this organization longer than ANYBODY. It's harder to measure, but he is a true lifer. He got rings when the Giants won.

Bonds is polarizing because he was obviously so dangerous and is probably the 1st person you think of when someone says "Giants", but he was also involved in a lot of dark times for the Giants, both indirectly and directly. He's been with other teams, he's had clubhouse "issues", he's been a poster boy for a topic most Giants fans are sick and tired of. He did not get a ring when the Giants' won. At the same time, he never once said a bad thing about the Giants or the fans or anything. He loves SF and he's a true Giant, but there was a lot of junk along the way too.

Posey has the recency bias in his favor, and the euphoria with none of the drama so far. We all saw him as a kid.

It's a tough call, but I think Mays still holds the mantle. It's possible Bonds becomes the new Mays way down the line, but were talking now.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yea, his numbers don't compare with 2 of of the 4 greatest players in the history of the game. But when you look at a franchise, you look at way more than numbers.

Bum has put together one of the most impressive post season resumes in the history of the game. But his regular season success (so far) is simply very good. It isn't elite.

Clark had some nice seasons, but hardly all-time worthy. But non-Giants fans do not understand his importance to this organization over the last 30 years. He does not deserve the title, but he AT LEAST deserves to be mentioned during the brainstorming phase.

Timmeh was the crier who announced the coming of the greatest era in SF Giants history. He did this while collecting 2 CYs and performing as the best pitcher in the game fir a 3-year period. He burned bright in his short career.

It all goes back to the intangibles argument with Jeter. Posey is the same thing. When discussing all time greats both are top 20 at there position. But there meaning to the team the played on is worth a lot more then their place on the top players.

Alright I am out and going to leave this discussion to the Giants fans

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all goes back to the intangibles argument with Jeter. Posey is the same thing. When discussing all time greats both are top 20 at there position. But there meaning to the team the played on is worth a lot more then their place on the top players.

Alright I am out and going to leave this discussion to the Giants fans
You are always welcome, Obxy...

Thanks for your additions.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say Posey isn't in the discussion is ignorant.

I'd say Bonds, Posey, Mays.

Bonds is my favorite player of all time though, and I've loved Posey because of the FSU connection, so I'm albeit a bit biased.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say Posey isn't in the discussion is ignorant.

I'd say Bonds, Posey, Mays.

Bonds is my favorite player of all time though, and I've loved Posey because of the FSU connection, so I'm albeit a bit biased.
Bias is the name of the game. Of course, the bias you bring is outside the scope of the discussion, but that's cool.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bias is the name of the game. Of course, the bias you bring is outside the scope of the discussion, but that's cool.
The Rays didn't have a team until '98, I never really had a fav team until they came along, so I gravitated to players, and Bonds was my favorite so I watched San Fran games and continued too until he retired. I actually probably was more of a SF fan from 98-06 actually than I was a Rays fan.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds is, IMHO, the greatest to ever play (sorry Willie, Babe and Ted). But he was never able to cross the finish line, even with some rather impressive lineups (and rotations) playing behind him. He also, as stated by others, brings a lot of "muck" to the discussion.

Mays is widely recognized as the greatest CF ever. And some would argue that HE was the GOAT. He was an established superstar when the Giants first came west. I am not certain baseball would have worked in SF without him. Further, he has maintained a strong relationship with the org, and is probably THE reason the Giants have such a strong alumni organization.

I have already made the argument for Posey. He plays the most important non-pitcher position, and he plays it better than anyone in the game currently. He was the the leader behind three championships. But his story isn't fully written yet. While he belongs in the discussion, I don't think he is there yet. If he never plays another game, I still believe he belongs in this company, but what happens if he leaves the Giants at some point, and joins the Braves alumni? Could he possibly exist as the Greatest Giant if he were another org's Mays?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays didn't have a team until '98, I never really had a fav team until they came along, so I gravitated to players, and Bonds was my favorite so I watched San Fran games and continued too until he retired. I actually probably was more of a SF fan from 98-06 actually than I was a Rays fan.
Were you a fan in '93? How excited were you when there was a chance you would get the Giants?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He asked flat-out who the greatest San Francisco Giant player is. That would be Barry Bonds. Then it would be Willie Mays. Then it would be Willie McCovey. THEN it might be Buster Posey. This might refresh his memory.

San Francisco Giants Leaderboards » 2016 » Batters » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball