• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great Article...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article. I note that he puts out the losers and not the winners. Georgia and Miami are two good examples of of coaches getting fired for not meeting expectations and then exceeding them after a new coach.

I would love to trade Holgs for Kevin Sumlin. Most everyone else on the list would be a big gamble.

No Balls would never even make a call.

At some point, we will need a coaching upgrade.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article. I note that he puts out the losers and not the winners. Georgia and Miami are two good examples of of coaches getting fired for not meeting expectations and then exceeding them after a new coach.

I would love to trade Holgs for Kevin Sumlin. Most everyone else on the list would be a big gamble.

No Balls would never even make a call.

At some point, we will need a coaching upgrade.

:scratch::scratch::nono::nono:

You throwing Miami in there?...you sure about that ?

After Jimmie Johnson The Erickson years produced Multiple NCAA Violations then the coaching carousel followed:

Butch Davis, Larry Coker: (Won a NC and was FIRED for his efforts), then Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Larry Scott and and Now Mark Richt...spanning from 1989 until now.....that's 28 years of volatility...

Kevin Sumlin can recruit...but efforts on the field say he is Ron Zook..........

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see I'm a rational... well grounded WVU fan.

I was worried I might find out I was way too apologetic of my man love... Dana...

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article, and I generally agree with it. 6-6/7-5 is the floor, and my expectations vary by year. I expect better than 7-5 next year. For this season, 705 exceeded expectations. (Was thinking 6-6)

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve always liked Mark Richt and believe that he may have become stagnant at Georgia. With his new toys and team speed forced him to change his coaching style. I was shocked that Gundy was looking at Tennessee again, but maybe he is feeling that he has become stagnant and is being drawn in by SEC mystique. Butch Jones, who I wanted to be our HC prior to Dana, jumped into a tough situation. I feel Tennessee has more talent than us but are in a similar situation as us, not enough to compete with the big boys in the conference. I’m always amazed with OU’s OL. They have big boys upfront that punch you in the mouth and then laugh at you. I watch the games thinking ‘If we only had a bigger, more talented OL and DL’. We have talented players at the key positions.

The SEC is reaping the benefits of having a long string on winning both the MNC and NC as it stands today. The fan base demand excellence and those on the bottom rungs of the SEC will remain there until the SEC football factory schools start to decline. I don’t see ‘Bama declining until Saban leaves, however, there are rumors that Dabo is in line.

I agree, BB, so many people wanted to get rid of Dana because he would never win a NC, which may be true, but at the same time couldn’t name a coach who would have come here that could win the NC. If WVU was solely focused on winning a NC, why didn’t they woo a Mark Richt or Chip Kelly? What about Frost or is Frost an upgraded version of Dana? I do think Frost would be successful at Nebraska. This situation is similar to our’s with RR, but without the ego. Would Sumlin be able to successfully recruit kids to WV?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve always liked Mark Richt and believe that he may have become stagnant at Georgia. With his new toys and team speed forced him to change his coaching style. I was shocked that Gundy was looking at Tennessee again, but maybe he is feeling that he has become stagnant and is being drawn in by SEC mystique. Butch Jones, who I wanted to be our HC prior to Dana, jumped into a tough situation. I feel Tennessee has more talent than us but are in a similar situation as us, not enough to compete with the big boys in the conference. I’m always amazed with OU’s OL. They have big boys upfront that punch you in the mouth and then laugh at you. I watch the games thinking ‘If we only had a bigger, more talented OL and DL’. We have talented players at the key positions.

The SEC is reaping the benefits of having a long string on winning both the MNC and NC as it stands today. The fan base demand excellence and those on the bottom rungs of the SEC will remain there until the SEC football factory schools start to decline. I don’t see ‘Bama declining until Saban leaves, however, there are rumors that Dabo is in line.

I agree, BB, so many people wanted to get rid of Dana because he would never win a NC, which may be true, but at the same time couldn’t name a coach who would have come here that could win the NC. If WVU was solely focused on winning a NC, why didn’t they woo a Mark Richt or Chip Kelly? What about Frost or is Frost an upgraded version of Dana? I do think Frost would be successful at Nebraska. This situation is similar to our’s with RR, but without the ego. Would Sumlin be able to successfully recruit kids to WV?

This program has been chasing a NC for over 100 years and has yet to do it...IMHO in the current landscape I am not hopeful if happens in my lifetime...the rich seem to get richer..and the almost rich seem to cheat...Wv is in neither sandbox ( Well the cheating part has come up from time to time but nothing major)

I just look at a TEXAS A&M or a Michigan and a TENNESSEE , schools with deep pockets and top tier facilities and athletes and they aren't even close. And our fans think we should be competing for a NC every year?...it just makes no sense...the article is spot on..

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be happy if we could compete for a conference championship every now and again.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the article said, every 4-5 years we SHOULD be in the conference race. Even Nehlen held to that pattern. You could bank on it! 88, 93, 98...All great teams.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mac makes a very strong point.

IMO, WVU football has gone back to the future. We are in a situation very similar to Nehlen's era. During the 80's and 90's as an independent, and during the BE era when those independents formed the BE football conference... he faced teams at the peak of play at that time.

While Nehlen played an 11 game regular season, his average win/season was 7. The '88 season was the most celebrated, but the perfect season came playing 1 ranked team and only one other team with a winning record. His '93 team should be the most celebrated IMO. They beat 4 ranked teams that season, and truly earned one of the top 3 rankings in the country before playing UF and getting smoked in the Sugar Bowl.

Miami, PSU were too good most years for WVU to beat. After Nehlen got his boys in place... starting in '83... he went 4-18 against those two teams. Two of those wins came against one of the worst years for each opponent. He suffered significant losing records from '83-00 against VT and SU.

Today, WVU is facing comparable opponents in the Big 12. We no longer have the recruiting advantage we enjoyed over our conference opponents as we had from '04-11.

And, I don't think we'll ever catch up to our Big 12 rivals in terms of facilities. So, it's always going to be an uphill climb for us.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the article said, every 4-5 years we SHOULD be in the conference race. Even Nehlen held to that pattern. You could bank on it! 88, 93, 98...All great teams.

IMHO we could potentially do better...the program should be in a spot that it is picked no less than the top 4 in the conference year in and year out...that would tell you were the program is

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dana would ever take defense and special teams seriously then WVU could win the national championship. Dabo figured that out, Gus down at Auburn figured that out.

I think Sumlin and Dana and Kliff K and Mike Leach and all the rest of those air raid coaches are basically the same coach. They can put up crazy offensive numbers and win ya 6-9 games on a regular basis but never win championships. That's not terrible but like Texas A&M I want more from my program. WVU can reach the mountain top if we get the good QB, a talented defensive front, and a few kickers and punters worth a sh*t.

All the rest of that crap is just excuses that losers make.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuses are for losers. I like that...

WVU has to find a way to overcome its obstacles... it roadblocks to become one of the elite programs.

It can happen if everyone of us refuses to accept mediocrity...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuses are for losers. I like that...

WVU has to find a way to overcome its obstacles... it roadblocks to become one of the elite programs.

It can happen if everyone of us refuses to accept mediocrity...

Dang right, keep that loser stank far far away from me.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you should have contacted your boy, No Balls, and brought Jimbo home. No problem demanding excellence, but at what cost? Hate to become a hot mess like Tennessee. They’ll pull through it because of deep pockets but unless they bring in the right guy, the bleeding will continue.

Big difference between excuses and reality.