• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great ARTICLE!...they are getting closer!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the major reasons Wv is not the first one invited to the dinner table in other conferences is due to the academic profile..well they are one step closer to AAU status...

WVU now among top research institutions

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article. I guests in due time, admission standards will increase, but being the State flagship may be the reason. At any rate, this is great for the university.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article. I guests in due time, admission standards will increase, but being the State flagship may be the reason. At any rate, this is great for the university.

I think they should increase...been saying it for years...if you have a 2.2 average or below an instate kid should go to a branch campus first before being admitted to Morgantown..it seems Wv is the only University in the country not to have that as a standard practice.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be all for WVU upping entrance standards if WVa had more choices in community colleges and two year schools. WVa has many less "junior colleges" than other states, limiting the opportunities for those students desiring to study a major in arts or science. Many WVa community colleges are more trade schools than prep for WVU. I feel those kids who have maybe not done as well in HS deserve a shot at college, I know a lot wash out, but many finish their degrees. WVU needs to set up campuses throughout the state offering at least the core subjects and some major specific courses before upping entrance standards at Morgantown.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my understanding that WV is attempting to establish a system... similar to what you see in other states. WVU will be the crown jewel of the system, but there will be other locations with WVU affiliations. For example, the move of WVU Tech to Beckley is one part of this plan. WVU Parkersburg has been established. We now have Potomac State College of WVU.

There will be growth of these affiliates as more access to kids with poor high school performances is pushed. This will improve the academic standing of WVU.... will allow the school to become more selective. This will in turn push its academic standing upwards.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my understanding that WV is attempting to establish a system... similar to what you see in other states. WVU will be the crown jewel of the system, but there will be other locations with WVU affiliations. For example, the move of WVU Tech to Beckley is one part of this plan. WVU Parkersburg has been established. We now have Potomac State College of WVU.

There will be growth of these affiliates as more access to kids with poor high school performances is pushed. This will improve the academic standing of WVU.... will allow the school to become more selective. This will in turn push its academic standing upwards.

I commented and noted the same before...I think it all makes sense!..I saw DADS comments and don't agree..College is not s right, but privilege for those who took their studies seriously in High School. College ain't for everyone, but if you do want to go to college and did have poor grades or a GPA not up to par with a competitive GPA for entrance to the school of your choice that is what a JUCO or perhaps a school that is more flexible for entrance and then transfer to the school of your choice. In all honesty its better for that student anyhow. I would wager that little has changed since I was in school, that at Morgantown the majority of instate kids that gained entrance with a 2.0 or below washed out in the first semester. Why not set them up for success by going to a smaller school where they are not overwhelmed and have more "one on one" attention from faculty until they are ready for bigger and better things...in the meantime you have a STATE institution that grows in stature on a national level and represents the state in a much better way!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that WV has developed a system around WVU, I think we will see the next step take place after WVU Tech is functioning well at their new site.

For comparison, PSU and RU both have systems. An applicant can be accepted by either PSU or RU, but they won't be offered the high jewel unless their academic record merits acceptance. Students not accepted to the main campus, will be offered satellite campuses where they attend their first two years. Once they've earned a GPA to qualify for transfer to the main campus, they are accepted as a student there to earn their 4 year degree.

It is time for WV to implement a similar opportunity for all the dumbass hillbillies who've done nothing in their life for 12 years of school, and are far from ready to take the next step. Go to school with other dumbass hillbillies and see if you can accomplish anything in life.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that WV has developed a system around WVU, I think we will see the next step take place after WVU Tech is functioning well at their new site.

For comparison, PSU and RU both have systems. An applicant can be accepted by either PSU or RU, but they won't be offered the high jewel unless their academic record merits acceptance. Students not accepted to the main campus, will be offered satellite campuses where they attend their first two years. Once they've earned a GPA to qualify for transfer to the main campus, they are accepted as a student there to earn their 4 year degree.

It is time for WV to implement a similar opportunity for all the dumbass hillbillies who've done nothing in their life for 12 years of school, and are far from ready to take the next step. Go to school with other dumbass hillbillies and see if you can accomplish anything in life.

Pitt and Ohio State are setup the same way...If the school is serious at making a run at AAU status they have to drive this home!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe I didn't post that earlier, I saw it and it's GREAT news. Texas Tech doing well too Texas Tech Achieves Tier One Carnegie Designation | 2016 | Texas Tech Today | TTU

The WVU Tech move has Beckley excited, I can tell you that firsthand. The move from Montgomery is a little bittersweet but the truth is, Montgomery has been on barrowed time since the interstate was finished in WV. Beckley is at the split of I77/I64 leading folks directly to places like Charlotte NC, Richmond Va, Lexington Ky, Louisville Ky, St.Louis Mo ect.

Montgomery.... I love em but.. Not so much going for them on the "easy and convenient" side of life now. It was at one time but not now.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I commented and noted the same before...I think it all makes sense!..I saw DADS comments and don't agree..College is not s right, but privilege for those who took their studies seriously in High School. College ain't for everyone, but if you do want to go to college and did have poor grades or a GPA not up to par with a competitive GPA for entrance to the school of your choice that is what a JUCO or perhaps a school that is more flexible for entrance and then transfer to the school of your choice. In all honesty its better for that student anyhow. I would wager that little has changed since I was in school, that at Morgantown the majority of instate kids that gained entrance with a 2.0 or below washed out in the first semester. Why not set them up for success by going to a smaller school where they are not overwhelmed and have more "one on one" attention from faculty until they are ready for bigger and better things...in the meantime you have a STATE institution that grows in stature on a national level and represents the state in a much better way!!
Slaton, I did not mean WVU should not seek to increase the standards long term, I mean that there must be alternatives in place prior to raising them. WVa has very limited access to two year schools. My son is studying at a branch of OSU right now, and will get his degree from there. OSU has dozens of branch campuses, WVU has two, I believe. I do not know the number of students admitted to WVU with marginal HS careers, but I know as of today, there is not much choice for them other than Morgantown. I do not think it would be right to up the admission standards prior to options being opened just to get a few more spots on a list and a few more bucks in the bank for WVU, at the expense of those marginal students who DO make it through school. Open some more branch campuses, THEN raise admission standards at WVU.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton, I did not mean WVU should not seek to increase the standards long term, I mean that there must be alternatives in place prior to raising them. WVa has very limited access to two year schools. My son is studying at a branch of OSU right now, and will get his degree from there. OSU has dozens of branch campuses, WVU has two, I believe. I do not know the number of students admitted to WVU with marginal HS careers, but I know as of today, there is not much choice for them other than Morgantown. I do not think it would be right to up the admission standards prior to options being opened just to get a few more spots on a list and a few more bucks in the bank for WVU, at the expense of those marginal students who DO make it through school. Open some more branch campuses, THEN raise admission standards at WVU.

The admission standard should be the same for in-state as it is for out of state...its a BIG GAP!

• West Virginia residents: must have at least a 2.0 cumulative high school GPA and either a superscored ACT score of 19 or a superscored Math and Critical Reading SAT score of 910.
    Please note: SAT total scores are based on the scoring system used prior to March 2016.
  • Nonresidents: must have at least a 2.5 cumulative high school GPA and either a superscored ACT score of 21 or a superscored Math and Critical Reading SAT score of 990.
    Please note: SAT total scores are based on the scoring system used prior to March 2016.

If a Kid from the state doesn't have a solid C average he should not have the ability to attend WV. Think about it a C average in the WVASSC is no where close to what it would measure say in Virginia or Maryland.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The admission standard should be the same for in-state as it is for out of state...its a BIG GAP!

• West Virginia residents: must have at least a 2.0 cumulative high school GPA and either a superscored ACT score of 19 or a superscored Math and Critical Reading SAT score of 910.
  • Nonresidents: must have at least a 2.5 cumulative high school GPA and either a superscored ACT score of 21 or a superscored Math and Critical Reading SAT score of 990.
If a Kid from the state doesn't have a solid C average he should not have the ability to attend WV. Think about it a C average in the WVASSC is no where close to what it would measure say in Virginia or Maryland.
As I said, UNTIL there are alternatives, no change should be made. In my opinion WVa residents SHOULD get preferential treatment over out of state kids, when I was in school in the early 1980s, it seemed as if half the kids were from out of state due to WVU being cheaper than UMD, RU, PSU, etc.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, UNTIL there are alternatives, no change should be made. In my opinion WVa residents SHOULD get preferential treatment over out of state kids, when I was in school in the early 1980s, it seemed as if half the kids were from out of state due to WVU being cheaper than UMD, RU, PSU, etc.

But there in lies the the problem..Let's do it this way..and this is SLATON10's idea..the requirements to gain entrance in Morgantown is a minimum of a 3.0 for both in-state and out of state. Since the school system blows in West Virginia, it ensures you get a kid who would be the equivalent of a solid C average student versus the competition in neighboring states and it gets a you a better student out of state. The in state student is already ready getting a ridiculous deal on tuition, in my mind they already have a trade off. With that though they should double the tuition for in state kids. Because at 7K per year there is very little risk for a family to send their kid to Morgantown with a 2.0 average to see if they can cut it..

What happens if you go with Ol Slaton10's plan? Better Students, less trouble on campus, more research funding, better Teachers, expand the number of degrees being offered...its a big deal! Trust me, Maryland just did this within the last 15 years, from an academic standpoint it was middle of the road until they took these measures or very similar and now they are one of the top 50 University's in the US...Just take a look at the neighbors WV has

AAU Schools:

Johns Hopkins
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Virginia
Pitt
Carnegie Mellon
University of Buffalo for goodness sakes!!

Wv looks like the Red Headed step child! Why Should it?? Just like the football team that somehow everyone beleives represents WV and the people, which is preposterous by the way, it SHOULD BE THE REPUTATION OF THE UNIVERSITY THAT CARRY"S THAT FLAG!!!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there in lies the the problem..Let's do it this way..and this is SLATON10's idea..the requirements to gain entrance in Morgantown is a minimum of a 3.0 for both in-state and out of state. Since the school system blows in West Virginia, it ensures you get a kid who would be the equivalent of a solid C average student versus the competition in neighboring states and it gets a you a better student out of state. The in state student is already ready getting a ridiculous deal on tuition, in my mind they already have a trade off. With that though they should double the tuition for in state kids. Because at 7K per year there is very little risk for a family to send their kid to Morgantown with a 2.0 average to see if they can cut it..

What happens if you go with Ol Slaton10's plan? Better Students, less trouble on campus, more research funding, better Teachers, expand the number of degrees being offered...its a big deal! Trust me, Maryland just did this within the last 15 years, from an academic standpoint it was middle of the road until they took these measures or very similar and now they are one of the top 50 University's in the US...Just take a look at the neighbors WV has

AAU Schools:

Johns Hopkins
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Virginia
Pitt
Carnegie Mellon
University of Buffalo for goodness sakes!!

Wv looks like the Red Headed step child! Why Should it?? Just like the football team that somehow everyone beleives represents WV and the people, which is preposterous by the way, it SHOULD BE THE REPUTATION OF THE UNIVERSITY THAT CARRY"S THAT FLAG!!!

I guess we will just disagree, to me the student should be priority number one. Putting a hard line at a GPA is not a fair way, some high schools are harder, some kids are taking algebra as seniors, others are taking calculus, apples to oranges. Is the purpose of a university to make money and get their name on a list? In my opinion, NO. The purpose of a university is to teach a major to a student, and the purpose of WVU is first and foremost to teach kids from WVa.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we will just disagree, to me the student should be priority number one. Putting a hard line at a GPA is not a fair way, some high schools are harder, some kids are taking algebra as seniors, others are taking calculus, apples to oranges. Is the purpose of a university to make money and get their name on a list? In my opinion, NO. The purpose of a university is to teach a major to a student, and the purpose of WVU is first and foremost to teach kids from WVa.

I think you miss understand me..Or we don't see it through the same lens...I totally agree the student should come first, but I don't believe its a right that a student, instate or not should be given an easy road to Morgantown.. Let me sell it a different way...you send your kid to Wv he graduates, he goes out in the work force and has the same degree as another kid from Maryland..who is that employer going to hire today based on the rep's of both schools? In my mind that is WV looking our for its students and making them priority number one! Making certain that coming to Wv and earning their degree after putting in 4 plus years and having it worth just as much as rival University's..and the way to do that is getting a kid that put in the effort in High School and earned the right to come to Morgantown...Is it the University's job to make money? Sure it is..its a business and the more money it makes the better resources it has to improve its worth and grow...is a list important...the Employers of America would tell you it doesn't hurt..there are 100's of choices a kid with a 2.0 average can apply and gain acceptance. Even community colleges where they can go for a year and then transfer...Again, my opinion for an in state Wv kid with a 2.0 average at a High school that may have a 200 kids going to a Major University with 30,000 actually may benefit him/her in the long run...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you miss understand me..Or we don't see it through the same lens...I totally agree the student should come first, but I don't believe its a right that a student, instate or not should be given an easy road to Morgantown.. Let me sell it a different way...you send your kid to Wv he graduates, he goes out in the work force and has the same degree as another kid from Maryland..who is that employer going to hire today based on the rep's of both schools? In my mind that is WV looking our for its students and making them priority number one! Making certain that coming to Wv and earning their degree after putting in 4 plus years and having it worth just as much as rival University's..and the way to do that is getting a kid that put in the effort in High School and earned the right to come to Morgantown...Is it the University's job to make money? Sure it is..its a business and the more money it makes the better resources it has to improve its worth and grow...is a list important...the Employers of America would tell you it doesn't hurt..there are 100's of choices a kid with a 2.0 average can apply and gain acceptance. Even community colleges where they can go for a year and then transfer...Again, my opinion for an in state Wv kid with a 2.0 average at a High school that may have a 200 kids going to a Major University with 30,000 actually may benefit him/her in the long run...
Slaton, IF WVU were to say tomorrow that you must have a 3.0 HS GPA, where are the kids between 2.0-3.0 going to go? My point is that there are not enough alternatives in WVa. The alternatives HAVE to be in place PRIOR to making any changes in WVU policy

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton, IF WVU were to say tomorrow that you must have a 3.0 HS GPA, where are the kids between 2.0-3.0 going to go? My point is that there are not enough alternatives in WVa. The alternatives HAVE to be in place PRIOR to making any changes in WVU policy

Maybe they have to go out of state? Not my concern...it is their's really, to excel in High School to gain entrance to a school they want to attend...just like setting your benchmark if you want to go to Harvard.., Wv shouldn't been a charity house..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really... What a stupid comment! If you are so stupid you can't get into a good college... you go to a shitty college. There are plenty of shitty colleges in WV... State schools getting state money.

Let the stupid hillbillies go to the schools where other stupid kids go...