• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grayson Allen returning to Duke

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke will now be the prohibited favorite to cut the nets down.

Potential lineup:

PG: Frank Jackson/Derryck Thornton
SG: Grayson Allen/Luke Kennard
SF: Jayson Tatum/Matt Jones
PF: Amile Jefferson
C: Harry Giles/Chase Jeter

Clear #1 going into next year.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prohibited huh?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grayson Allen returned because he wasn't ready for the NBA. No doubt returning to Duke for another year was very attractive to him.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kennard was more than ready to fill in for him too. My god that roster is stacked.

Jeter and Thronton were overhyped in last year's weak class though.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had to come back. Those ACC players aren't going to trip themselves.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose he doesn't have his tripping technique perfected yet??

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kennard was more than ready to fill in for him too. My god that roster is stacked.

Thornton should be a senior in high school this year, declared early and came to Duke as a reclassified Freshman. I don't believe he was ever hyped as the be all and do all PG. He was simply the only PG on this season's Duke team that made the sweet sixteen.

Jeter is a 6'10" freshman. It takes longer for those guys to develop and he was pushed to get playing time when Jefferson went down injured. According to Scout.com the 2014 class of Okafor was the overall #1, Jones #9, Winslow #12, were all ahead of Jeter. Jeter was a #15 in the 2015 class.

I don't believe either was "over-hyped".

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad he is... Kind of figured he would

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just imagine how good they will be as Seniors though. They are 4 year players along with Kennard more then likely

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He must figure he isn't winning the Presidency.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thornton should be a senior in high school this year, declared early and came to Duke as a reclassified Freshman. I don't believe he was ever hyped as the be all and do all PG. He was simply the only PG on this season's Duke team that made the sweet sixteen.

Jeter is a 6'10" freshman. It takes longer for those guys to develop and he was pushed to get playing time when Jefferson went down injured. According to Scout.com the 2014 class of Okafor was the overall #1, Jones #9, Winslow #12, were all ahead of Jeter. Jeter was a #15 in the 2015 class.

I don't believe either was "over-hyped".

Weren't both of them 5*'s though? Pretty underwhelming freshman season for both, I know not every recruit will come in and dominate right away, but both of them had very small roles. They could turn out to be terrific players next year or the year after, I'm just saying I remember a couple Duke fans on another site talking them both up during the preseason.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't both of them 5*'s though? Pretty underwhelming freshman season for both, I know not every recruit will come in and dominate right away, but both of them had very small roles. They could turn out to be terrific players next year or the year after, I'm just saying I remember a couple Duke fans on another site talking them both up during the preseason.

Sting,

I don't talk it up on this or other sites. I don't hype. I just respond.

True, they were both rated 5*. Does that mean they average a double-double? Does that mean they are one and done? Thornton is supposed to be a high school senior. I hate he reclassified. It rarely helps a kid to leave high school a year early. Mike Gminski was an exception. But he started 20 games and averaged 26 MPG and 7.1 PPG and 2.6 APG. For a team that went to the sweet sixteen. Jeter never started and averaged 7.9 MPG and 1.9 PPG along with 1.9 RPG. Again, big guys take longer to develop. See Skai Labassierre(sp?) at UK.

Just because these kids were rated a 5* doesn't make them a bust either. They both are developing into roles as team players. Both saw playing time, while Thornton was starting by season's end. Arizona Freshman Justin Simon was also a 5* who is transferring out at Arizona. He averaged 2.3 PPG in 7.5 MPG. So just because a kid is a 5* doesn't make them an instant star or a great fit as you've seen.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sting,

True, they were both rated 5*. Does that mean they average a double-double? Does that mean they are one and done? Thornton is supposed to be a high school senior. I hate he reclassified. It rarely helps a kid to leave high school a year early. Mike Gminski was an exception. But he started 20 games and averaged 26 MPG and 7.1 PPG and 2.6 APG. For a team that went to the sweet sixteen. Jeter never started and averaged 7.9 MPG and 1.9 PPG along with 1.9 RPG. Again, big guys take longer to develop. See Skai Labassierre(sp?) at UK.

Just because these kids were rated a 5* doesn't make them a bust either. They both are developing into roles as team players. Both saw playing time, while Thornton was starting by season's end. Arizona Freshman Justin Simon was also a 5* who is transferring out at Arizona. He averaged 2.3 PPG in 7.5 MPG. So just because a kid is a 5* doesn't make them an instant star or a great fit as you've seen.

I hope to fucking god it helps Markus Howard.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sting,

I never said anything about double-doubles or one and dones. Even Skal contributed at UK at times despite needing TONS of time before he lives up to his potential. Justin Simon was ranked 37th overall on ESPN and a 4* there, so that's a little different than being a top 10-15 player.

And trust me I think developing players on a 2-3 year plan is a BETTER route to go for any program, I just thought they'd both (Jeter more than Thornton) contribute a little sooner than that.

Overall though, last year's freshman class was top heavy, and pretty weak. Especially compared to this year's incoming class where guys in the teens would likely be in the top 5 of last year's class.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just imagine how good they will be as Seniors though. They are 4 year players along with Kennard more then likely

True. Arizona has a player similar to Jeter in Chance Comanche. He's a project, but has tons of potential and needs to add about 10-15 pounds of muscle this offseason, he really showed some promise towards the end of last season and I think he could be our starting center next year if he beats out Ristic.

As a fan, 4 year players are great to have, especially when surrounded by raw talent like the elite schools bring in. This year AZ had two in York and Tarczewski, but had little talent around them so it kinda sucked to see them go out like that.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said anything about double-doubles or one and dones. Even Skal contributed at UK at times despite needing TONS of time before he lives up to his potential. Justin Simon was ranked 37th overall on ESPN and a 4* there, so that's a little different than being a top 10-15 player.

And trust me I think developing players on a 2-3 year plan is a BETTER route to go for any program, I just thought they'd both (Jeter more than Thornton) contribute a little sooner than that.

Overall though, last year's freshman class was top heavy, and pretty weak. Especially compared to this year's incoming class where guys in the teens would likely be in the top 5 of last year's class.

Simon was a 5* along with Trier and Smith and he was 27th overall. Check it out by Scout.com-

2015 Arizona Basketball Recruiting Prospects