• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gravy

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think why so many people give up on making it from scratch, is because they can't keep it from getting lumpy. Add too much flower or corn starch at once, rather than slowly spooning it in.

You mix that shit up with water first right?

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mix that shit up with water first right?

No. Not sure why I would? I might start the cream and starch that way, if I'm rushed, but typically no.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Not sure why I would? I might start the cream and starch that way, if I'm rushed, but typically no.

I was talking bout the cornstarch.

Flour you just do as a roux first, and if ya put too much in, ya just add more liquid, but if yer using cornstarch to thicken after the fact, you should mix it with liquid first in a separate bowl. If yer using flour to thicken, after the fact, yer a tard. lel

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flour you just do as a roux first, and if ya put too much in, ya just add more liquid, but if yer using cornstarch to thicken after the fact, you should mix it with liquid first in a separate bowl. If yer using flour to thicken, after the fact, yer a tard. lel

"Slurry", right?

Oh, and twinsie is a 'tard regardless :suds:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never use flour. But I rarely mix corn starch in a separate bowl, either.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingredients
    • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/4 cups water
    • 1 cup canned beef broth
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation
    1. Cook onion in oil and butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and browned, about 15 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in water, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper and simmer, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until gravy is slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and additional Worcestershire sauce if desired.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Place bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry until browned, then remove to paper towels to drain. Add the butter to the bacon grease. When the butter begins to sizzle, sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour over it. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until dark brown. Don't let it scorch - if it starts to, just reduce the heat.
  2. When the roux reaches dark brown, increase the heat to medium-high, and add onions and bell pepper. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes, just until softened. Add seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little more flour to a bowl and mix. Pour into the pan, and stir constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken stock, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for just a few minutes to thicken the broth. Don't cook much longer. Sprinkle chopped green onion over it, and remove from the heat. Serve over fresh hot grits, rice or biscuits. Crumble the bacon slices on top.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Place bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry until browned, then remove to paper towels to drain. Add the butter to the bacon grease. When the butter begins to sizzle, sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour over it. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until dark brown. Don't let it scorch - if it starts to, just reduce the heat.
  2. When the roux reaches dark brown, increase the heat to medium-high, and add onions and bell pepper. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes, just until softened. Add seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little more flour to a bowl and mix. Pour into the pan, and stir constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken stock, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for just a few minutes to thicken the broth. Don't cook much longer. Sprinkle chopped green onion over it, and remove from the heat. Serve over fresh hot grits, rice or biscuits. Crumble the bacon slices on top.

This needs a good chicken fried steak

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I plan on trying a gravy and biscuit that I've never made this weekend. Maybe a chicken fried steak.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The key is what you mentioned with the roux!!!...You want it a nice chocolatey brown, but you do NOT want it to burn...

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red eyed gravy is good. My grandma makes it sometimes. I don't know the recipe. But I know it has coffee grounds in it and goes great with country ham.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I made the chicken fried steaks with mashed potatoes and tried gravy with sautéed onions in the roux. It was the best gravy I've ever made. From now on sautéed onions in the roux.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NJ Italians call pasta sauce "gravy"

I have one of those recipes.