• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading the Steelers '17 FA so far...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With FA winding down, I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on the recent acquisitions... So feel free to post your opinions, grades, etc.

FA Signings... In order

3/9/17 - David Johnson, TE... Been with PIT for 5 seasons (nonconsecutive). Primarily a blocking TE, but contributed 7rec for 80yds in '16 in a limited role. Played a big part in the run blocking game (FB) when Rosie Nix was hung up on PUP early in the season.

3/9/17 - Landry Jones, QB... Been with PIT for 4 seasons. Started 4 games in the last 2 seasons. In 2 games & a couple quarters worth of play time in '16, he went 53/86 (61.6%) for 558yds (6.5ypp) & 4 TDs, 2 INTs.

3/15/17 - Justin Hunter, WR... WR2/3 for 3 years in TEN. Drafted by none other than our own Mike Munchak. Was touted as the top WR prospect in '13 over the likes of DeAndre Hopkins, Tavon Austin & Keenan Allen, but had unreliable hands & questionable character/mentality. At 6'4" he has 4.4 speed & 40" vertical. Great athleticism. Hasn't quite materialized on the field though. Started out promising in '13, but ended up on IR. Best season was '14 where he amassed 498yds & 3 TDs. Munchak suspended him for a game for an uspecified violation of team rules in '13, and had an off-field assault charge in '15. Ended up on IR that season before getting released. Got picked up by MIA but only played in 1 game before being inactive for a string of games, and eventually released because they needed a roster spot for other positions of need. BUF picked him up and he played in 12 games, mainly as a gadget/RZ target (189yds, ~16ypg, 4 TDs).

3/20/17 - Knile Davis, RB
3-yr rotational player with KC, before brief stints with NYJ, GB & KC once again. Touted as a dual threat, down-hill runner, with lots of kick return experience. Only started 2 games, played mostly behind Jamaal Charles. Best season was in '14 where he gained 463yds rushing off 134att (3.5ypc), 6 rush TDs, combined with 16rec for 147yds & 1 rec TD.

3/20/17 - Coty Sensabaugh, CB... Battled injuries early on in his career in TEN, mainly a depth guy, starting 3-6 games per year. Made a decent impact by starting 15 games in '15. Racked up 60 tackles, 2 INTs (1 returned for TD), & 8 PDefs. Cashed in that offseason with the Rams, but was cut & picked up by the Giants. Injuries played a roll. Didn't make much of a contribution in NY.

3/21/17 - Tyson Alualu, DE/DT
Been a 7-yr starter at DT (2010-2012) & DE (2013-2016) for JAX. Decent model of consistency, producing ~3 sacks per year & between 30-40 tackles.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson... Quality & reliable depth. A necessity at the TE position for the ground game since most his contributions come with blocking. B

Jones
... I can understand the need for insurance given the uncertainty with Ben, but there's still quality & experienced options out there that would be a better upgrade for the backup position. Jones has flashed potential, but overall has been a disappointment no matter which way you look at it. He has been a thorn in our sides for years now. D+

Hunter... For all the shortcomings with Coates & Hamilton, it’s easy to understand why the Steelers saw it worthwhile to take a low-risk chance on another “maybe”. He boasts freakish athleticism. As ATL has stated, if he can come into PIT with his “head on straight” then he can make a difference. Debatably, this will be Hunter’s first experience with a winning atmosphere & a legit franchise QB. Low-risk, high reward. B+

Davis... Certainly adds experienced depth behind Bell, something only Toussaint currently has (should they not resign D-Will). He has tons of kick return experience too, so don't overlook that. I think D-Will is still in the plans and this signing has more to do with the gamble they lost on Karlos Williams. They have been wanting to upgrade Toussaint, as well as provide insurance given D-Will’s age, and Bell’s future. Davis provides that insurance & provides experience to multiple facets of the game. He always has interest whenever he ends up a FA, so he's a proven commodity. B

Sensabaugh... Good insurance for the slot CB position. Primarily Golson, who has yet to play an NFL snap. We know Gay is in decline and it would be dangerous to assume that Golson will be able to start the season as the slot CB. Thus this guy is signed. Sensabaugh played better as a nickel than as an outside starter, although his stats aren’t really encouraging no matter how you slice them. I doubt it affects their approach to the draft. C

Alualu
... A big reason to love him is, as far as I have researched, he has never missed a game in his NFL career. Great depth and/or rotational guy to help Walton spell Heyward & Tuitt. Signing him likely means an end of the road to any potential return for Ricardo Mathews. With his health consistency, it looks like the D-line is rock solid with this addition. B+

Overall... B-
Not exactly thrilled with any of the signings, but thus is life as a Steelers fan. As I said to ATL, this has typically been how Colbert does business. He fills holes with cheap FAs, then if the Draft falls in a way that doesn’t get the players he wants to fill those holes he is still in good shape. No reaching... They have guys that can be upgraded if the draft falls that way, or they can play if it doesn’t. Smart team building philosophy, even if it doesn't dazzle you.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really know how to grade it. I don't think they've gotten better since last season. They might be better if they get that dumbass back at WR and the defense matures some but I don't think it will be because they did well in FA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall... B-
Not exactly thrilled with any of the signings, but thus is life as a Steelers fan. As I said to ATL, this has typically been how Colbert does business. He fills holes with cheap FAs, then if the Draft falls in a way that doesn’t get the players he wants to fill those holes he is still in good shape. No reaching... They have guys that can be upgraded if the draft falls that way, or they can play if it doesn’t. Smart team building philosophy, even if it doesn't dazzle you.

Johnson... Quality & reliable depth. He knows, and we know what he brings to game. B

Jones
... I'm going more positive here. Most backup QBs are in the $3mil+ range., his CH is $2.2 mil. LJ knows the system, when Ben does go down for his annual one or two games (hopefully not this yr) the team is good enough around Jones to at least be competitive...50/50 win or lose. I think that's really all you can hope for on most NFL teams. C

Hunter...Talent wise, Hunter might be a notch below Bryant, but he just has not had any consistency, nor has he had a pro bowl level QB throwing him the ball. Has the skills to be WR2, I think he can help this team. B

Davis... I like this signing. No, he's not a RB1, but he's got good size, speed, and block...C

Sensabaugh... Good insurance for the slot CB position. Veteran with knowledge of the zone scheme I can see him pushing Gay for the slot job, worst case he's depth...C

Alualu
... Starter level talent, I think he was a top 10 draft pick. Played in a losing environment in JAX but I like this signing. Played DT in a 43 front so it might take a little getting used to being a 34 DE, but I think he brings more interior pass rush skills to the back up position than we've seen in a long time...B+

Overall... B

I think we all saw the potential to get a higher level CB, but they obviously were not paying enough to acquire that kind of talent in this market. Form outside looking in, that knocks what little luster off what this FA period had. From a Steeler fan stand point, Face you said it best...Colbert typically does not go after big fish in FA...he plugs holes that prevents them from needing to reach come draft day. This FA period has been no different. I think they picked up a proven talent in Alualu, we know what Johnson brings. Sensabaugh adds insurance and stability. Hunter brings competition and potential WR2 skills. It's not something you write home about, but this franchise is probably never going to operate like MIA in free agency.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was hoping for revis cheaper

There's probably a bunch of interested teams out there, but with this info in mind nobody wants to jump the gun. Let the Jets pay his contract and get him super cheap.

IDK what the Steelers level of interest is, but they'd be silly not to kick the tires. Revis already stated he wants to play for a contender. Not sure he cares about the money. So if they could get him for the league minimum that would be huge.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's probably a bunch of interested teams out there, but with this info in mind nobody wants to jump the gun. Let the Jets pay his contract and get him super cheap.

IDK what the Steelers level of interest is, but they'd be silly not to kick the tires. Revis already stated he wants to play for a contender. Not sure he cares about the money. So if they could get him for the league minimum that would be huge.
and our secondary isn't great

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know Willie Gay is the biggest weakness, of whom is very replaceable via the draft. Or arguably already has been with the Sensabaugh signing but the jury is still out on that guy since there aren't much in terms of stats to prove it. More draft picks to come though... Possibly 2. Hopefully Burns & Davis both take a big step this offseason. Those 2 will lead the way to any secondary resurgence. Cockrell is serviceable but not going to be the shut-down type. Mitchell is another weakness. I'd like to see them draft a playmaker at both CB & FS.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of a weird situation...I'm sure contract has been a big part, but strange to star players AP and Revis are not getting much action at all in FA.

On name alone I think it's worth kicking the tires for league minimum, but man, I'm not sure where I'd play him....he's been a man CB his whole career. He can't stay with speedy WRs anymore so maybe zone is better for him. I'd doubt the Steelers do anything with Revis now that they've signed Sensabaugh.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know Willie Gay is the biggest weakness, of whom is very replaceable via the draft. Or arguably already has been with the Sensabaugh signing but the jury is still out on that guy since there aren't much in terms of stats to prove it. More draft picks to come though... Possibly 2. Hopefully Burns & Davis both take a big step this offseason. Those 2 will lead the way to any secondary resurgence. Cockrell is serviceable but not going to be the shut-down type. Mitchell is another weakness. I'd like to see them draft a playmaker at both CB & FS.

Yep, yep, idk if Mitchell is a weakness yet, but he's not a playmaker. I think we're going to see that.

Nope, but not much edge pressure and imo a weak scheme don't help matters much.