• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good PC Games?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I am currently gameless.

I tried to replay FO4, focusing on building up Vault 88, but I want able to do what I wanted, and I lost interest.

I played Witcher for a while, but it just didn't hold my attention. I was literally falling asleep while playing.

I did Stranded Deep, but that really is WAY too basic to play for more than a couple weeks.

I have been kinda interested in giving a good baseball game a try, but it looks like they are only available on consoles. I tried OOTP years ago, and it was more of a business simulator than a baseball game.

I thought about giving Gran Turismo a try, but I couldn't find it on Steem. Is it even available on the PC?

Any other ideas? I am not interested in MMOs.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try Heroes of the Storm?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
XCOM if you're into tactical strategy games is excellent, but I've got no idea if you'll like it. Fell asleep playing Witcher?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does depend on what you're interested in.

XCOM is a superb series. The turn-based tactical battles are really well done and the strategic piece (where you allocate funds to build structures and weapons and research technologies) is also really well done.

If you haven't played it at all, starting with XCOM1 and then XCOM2 is well worth your time. Both are different enough and good enough to play that you won't regret it. . I periodically replay then. And then there's the many DLC. I'm waiting for the latest to go down in price

I'm also a big fan of the Total War series. There's a CIV-like strategy component with a really great real-time battle piece. If you are a history buff they're great.

I'm must have played over 1000 hrs of Rome Total War II since you can play any number of different factions from Rome, Carthage, Gaul, Egypt, Athens, SPARTA!!, Macedonia, Parthia etc, etc, etc, etc.

They have a lot of historical games with the same formula from Napoleon, Attila, Medieval Total War II (old) and others

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's old (so you could get it for dirt cheap), but the Thief series is terrific...it's Middle Ages based and heavy on stealth, and there are a ton of quality fan made missions so you can play beyond the game storylines.

250px-Thief_The_Dark_Project_boxcover.jpg
Thief_II_-_The_Metal_Age_Coverart.png
Thief_Deadly_Shadows_boxart.jpg

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does depend on what you're interested in.

XCOM is a superb series. The turn-based tactical battles are really well done and the strategic piece (where you allocate funds to build structures and weapons and research technologies) is also really well done.

If you haven't played it at all, starting with XCOM1 and then XCOM2 is well worth your time. Both are different enough and good enough to play that you won't regret it. . I periodically replay then. And then there's the many DLC. I'm waiting for the latest to go down in price

I'm also a big fan of the Total War series. There's a CIV-like strategy component with a really great real-time battle piece. If you are a history buff they're great.

I'm must have played over 1000 hrs of Rome Total War II since you can play any number of different factions from Rome, Carthage, Gaul, Egypt, Athens, SPARTA!!, Macedonia, Parthia etc, etc, etc, etc.

They have a lot of historical games with the same formula from Napoleon, Attila, Medieval Total War II (old) and others
Was disappointed in Shogun 2 and about that time my desktop PD was having performance problems so I bought a PS4 thinking I could find something interesting there....but I haven't found anything as compelling as the early TW games.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was disappointed in Shogun 2 and about that time my desktop PD was having performance problems so I bought a PS4 thinking I could find something interesting there....but I haven't found anything as compelling as the early TW games.

The early Medieval and Rome Total war graphics were average but both were great games. The newer versions are pretty good. I don't know if they are on the PS4

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The early Medieval and Rome Total war graphics were average but both were great games. The newer versions are pretty good. I don't know if they are on the PS4
Haven't seen anything of the kind on PS4. Different styles of gameplay with different platforms, as my son tried to tell me.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played Fortnite PVP last night. That was a fun and fast paced survivalist arena game. But you want to go in with a duo, not single.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Alert 2

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite games that come to mind are the following. If I put something in italics that means you likely need a decent PC to enjoy the full graphics. Lot of these games are on console but IMO these are all far better on PC due to the graphical capabilities and FPS is just meant to be played with mouse/keyboard.

FarCry 1, 3, 4 (2 just wasn't good). HIGHLY recommend 3. 1 is a bit old on graphics, but you don't need any backstory for the sequels.
Crysis (still holds up today graphically. Really shows what PC is capable of over consoles despite how old that game is - that game literally trashed PCs on max settings when it came out. Still need a high end system to max it today).
BioShock and Bioshock: Infinite (couldn't stand 2). Bioshock remastered (graphic updates) is available now.
Dark Souls 1 (really a must play, 2 was mediocre, 3 had too much Bloodborne in it IMO) - go PC and get the Dark Souls graphics fix (download from Google). Looks way better on PC than console. You'll want a controller with xinput capability (switch on the back).
Tomb Raider (2013) and Rise of Tomb Raider.
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (do not need the prior installments to understand)
Hearthstone (if you're into card/strategy games)
Batman Arkham series, Arkham Knight
CS: GO (needs no introduction, steep FPS learning curve. Only competitive FPS game worth a damn these days. Shits all over COD and has a huge MLG/pro gamer following)
Dragon Age: Origins (little out-dated but excellent RPG)

As for sports you're shit out of luck. All we have these days is really NBA 2K which has taken a serious step back since NBA 2K13/15. Madden/MLB 2K are console exclusive although Madden sucks ass these days. Grab Madden 08 and head over to Football Idiots. Still the best available NFL game IMO thanks to NZAs editors and the mod community. I've been waiting for a baseball game on PC forever. Last one I enjoyed was High Heat 2003 lol.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite games that come to mind are the following. If I put something in italics that means you likely need a decent PC to enjoy the full graphics. Lot of these games are on console but IMO these are all far better on PC due to the graphical capabilities and FPS is just meant to be played with mouse/keyboard.

FarCry 1, 3, 4 (2 just wasn't good). HIGHLY recommend 3. 1 is a bit old on graphics, but you don't need any backstory for the sequels.
Crysis (still holds up today graphically. Really shows what PC is capable of over consoles despite how old that game is - that game literally trashed PCs on max settings when it came out. Still need a high end system to max it today).
BioShock and Bioshock: Infinite (couldn't stand 2). Bioshock remastered (graphic updates) is available now.
Dark Souls 1 (really a must play, 2 was mediocre, 3 had too much Bloodborne in it IMO) - go PC and get the Dark Souls graphics fix (download from Google). Looks way better on PC than console. You'll want a controller with xinput capability (switch on the back).
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (do not need the prior installments to understand)
CS: GO (needs no introduction, steep FPS learning curve. Only competitive FPS game worth a damn these days. Shits all over COD and has a huge MLG/pro gamer following)

As for sports you're shit out of luck. All we have these days is really NBA 2K which has taken a serious step back since NBA 2K13/15. Madden/MLB 2K are console exclusive although Madden sucks ass these days. Grab Madden 08 and head over to Football Idiots. Still the best available NFL game IMO thanks to NZAs editors and the mod community. I've been waiting for a baseball game on PC forever. Last one I enjoyed was High Heat 2003 lol.
Best baseball game I ever played was Sierra Baseball Pro ‘98. The game play sucked, but it was the first (and only?) baseball game that allowed exports of stats and had a draft that had a decent pool of generated players. The mod community was spectacular, too. There was an amazing ‘98 roster put out that basically got used by everyone. There was also some tools for adjusting the amateur pool slightly to get the kind of draft you wanted. I had that shit down to a science...

None of the games I have played since come close.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worms

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only Assassin's Creed I ever really played was Black Flag, and I LOVED that game. I couldn't recommend that game enough.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best baseball game I ever played was Sierra Baseball Pro ‘98. The game play sucked, but it was the first (and only?) baseball game that allowed exports of stats and had a draft that had a decent pool of generated players. The mod community was spectacular, too. There was an amazing ‘98 roster put out that basically got used by everyone. There was also some tools for adjusting the amateur pool slightly to get the kind of draft you wanted. I had that shit down to a science...

None of the games I have played since come close.

If you haven't, you gotta play MVP Baseball '04 or '05...many feel it was the best baseball game ever (had an incredible franchise mode too where you basically own the team and can set ticket/concession pricing and use your net income the next offseason in the free agent market).

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports games don't usually work well on the PC. Rocket League is really fun, though. If you like FPS, the new Doom is pretty cool. Dying Light is okay.

Simmion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paladins free COD style FPS. Much like Overwatch. It's on Steam.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm digging Prey. Its basically System Shock/BioShock but...I'm good with that.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sims