• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gold Glove

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano and Seager are both finalists for the Gold Glove at their positions this year. I know some people are probably scratching their heads at the Seager choice given the number of errors he committed this year, but there's got to be a reason he's on the list. I heard someone on TV mention range factor as a possible reason and I think it's something that a lot of people will overlook on defense. Seager's was 3.11. Nobody else in the American League who was anywhere near him in innings played at third had a range factor above 3.00.

It's true that he had the most errors for a third baseman in the American League, but he also had the most fielding chances with 90 more chances than Beltre, who had the second most chances in the American League (505-415). There can be a bit of a trade-off when you have great range and create more fielding opportunities for yourself. You have more chances to make spectacular plays, but you also have more chances to make errors while trying to make spectacular plays. Seager also played the most defensive innings at 3rd base of anybody in the league (the innings equivalent to almost nine more games than Frazier), started the most double plays involving third basemen in the league (46, with Beltre being the only other guy to turn more than 33) and had the most putouts for a third baseman in the league (tied with Donaldson at 110, ahead of Beltre's 107). He also had the most assists in the league by more than 70 over Beltre.

The point is... as nice as a low error total is and as frustrating as some of those errors were, they don't tell the whole story defensively for Seager. I think he deserves to be a finalist for the Gold Glove. I don't know if he'll win it this year, but he deserved to be a finalist.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont have the stats right on front of me but im pretty sure he was also pretty high up there in defensive runs saved

Last edited:

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too surprised by these two being finalists for GG especially Cano, he was pretty much automatic this season. For Seager you have to look at the bigger picture and deeper stats cause if you just look at the errors it looks like a head scratcher. I don't think Seager will win and I don't think he should win, just not right to lead the league in errors and win a GG. Cano I could see winning and I think he should win.