• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going on a faux-vegetarian diet

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By faux-vegetarian, I mean that I'm not going totally vegetarian. I thought about that, but then thought about 1.) How easily I will fail miserably and 2.) times like, for example, this Easter Sunday where if I don't eat meat (my mother's ham) I will be crucified.

That being said, I am going to try to severely limit my meat intake. I am overweight, drink a ton, smoke some, etc. I need to lose weight, and there's no better way to do this than going vegetarian (or faux-vegetarian).

Look, I know vegetarianism is gay. Gay as hell. I fucking agree. But I do need to lose weight, so I'm doing it.

I will post all my failures in this thread, as well as update you all as to where I am at.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By faux-vegetarian, I mean that I'm not going totally vegetarian. I thought about that, but then thought about 1.) How easily I will fail miserably and 2.) times like, for example, this Easter Sunday where if I don't eat meat (my mother's ham) I will be crucified.

That being said, I am going to try to severely limit my meat intake. I am overweight, drink a ton, smoke some, etc. I need to lose weight, and there's no better way to do this than going vegetarian (or faux-vegetarian).

Look, I know vegetarianism is gay. Gay as hell. I fucking agree. But I do need to lose weight, so I'm doing it.

I will post all my failures in this thread, as well as update you all as to where I am at.
Cut the carbs, not the meat.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go keto instead if you don't like tucking your penis.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off to a (sort of) rocky start. For lunch, I'm having 0.42 lb's of white meat chicken salad. Still a fairly healthy option, but there was a salad bar at the place I was at.

The only problem is that salad sucks. Oh well, fail forward.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
carb cutting is bs, its calories in calories out

tyou find a diet you can maintain and do it

carbs dont make u fat, at anytime of the day

Yes and no.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carbs turn into glucose.
Cutting carbs = your body doesn't burn the glucose, instead it burns the fat.

Sugars man. Mostly lean protein and veggies / fruits ok. Natural sugars like fruit ok

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything turns to fat in excess

I'll try to give a rough generalization the best I can.

Basically your body is either going to use glucose or ketones for energy. Glucose is the primary source, and ketones are the secondary/alternative source. Glucose = sugar source and ketones = fat source. So as long as your body has the glucose, it will use that. Excess of either "turns to fat" as you say, but if you cut out the carbs then your body will go into fat burning mode and when it runs out of fat in your diet it starts to burn your body fat.

People do high fat low carb and use the fat to burn energy, but if you are already fat - then you are the HF and you just cut out the carbs. If you are skinny, then you need to eat a lot of fat, because it's your energy source, not your body.

It works, but it's extremely hard to do because if you eat too many carbs, it'll kick you out of the fat burning mode. Just burns off the fat faster, especially if you limit calories with it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basically your body is either going to use glucose or ketones for energy. Glucose is the primary source, and ketones are the secondary/alternative source. Glucose = sugar source and ketones = fat source. So as long as your body has the glucose, it will use that. Excess of either "turns to fat" as you say, but if you cut out the carbs then your body will go into fat burning mode and when it runs out of fat in your diet it starts to burn your body fat.

People do high fat low carb and use the fat to burn energy, but if you are already fat - then you are the HF and you just cut out the carbs. If you are skinny, then you need to eat a lot of fat, because it's your energy source, not your body.

It works, but it's extremely hard to do because if you eat too many carbs, it'll kick you out of the fat burning mode. Just burns off the fat faster, especially if you limit calories with it.

Close. Ketones are a byproduct of beta oxidation (burning fat/protein for energy). If you go too hardcore you can actually end up with ketoacidosis which is not desirable. Physiologically speaking I don’t like the idea of cutting out carbs altogether because your body needs glucose, especially during high intensity activities. Your body can’t burn fat aerobically. The key is to moderate your carb intake so you’re not completely carb loaded, and add in a moderate to high intensity work out roughly 3x/week. Ideally you want to work out at 70-80% of your max heart rate. That’s where your body will begin to mobilize fat stores which will be used by beta oxidation immediately following exercise. It won’t actually burn the fat during that high intensity exercise though so you need some level of glucose or glycogen stores for energy during the exercise.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you need to kill carbs, like no carbs..........

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close. Ketones are a byproduct of beta oxidation (burning fat/protein for energy). If you go too hardcore you can actually end up with ketoacidosis which is not desirable. Physiologically speaking I don’t like the idea of cutting out carbs altogether because your body needs glucose, especially during high intensity activities. Your body can’t burn fat aerobically. The key is to moderate your carb intake so you’re not completely carb loaded, and add in a moderate to high intensity work out roughly 3x/week. Ideally you want to work out at 70-80% of your max heart rate. That’s where your body will begin to mobilize fat stores which will be used by beta oxidation immediately following exercise. It won’t actually burn the fat during that high intensity exercise though so you need some level of glucose or glycogen stores for energy during the exercise.

My advice is that if anyone is thinking about going on Atkins, do it backwards. By that I mean don't start with 20-30g carbs/day but start with the maintenance level. The reason being that diet is a lifestyle choice and if you cannot maintain the diet then losing the weight is moot. The weight will come off more slowly but more safely. Having acidic blood is not a good thing at all.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soy produces estrogen in men. Avoid it.

Just stop eating so much and hit the gym. It's not rocket science.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FYI, when your wife asks, "How can I lose a few pounds?", the correct answer is NOT "Put your fork down". The swelling is down but the vision is still blurry.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s not rocket science, but there are some tweaks you can make to make your life easier depending on your goals. That said, ideally people would be more worried about living an overall healthy lifestyle including getting consistent physical activity and not eating like pure shit all the time than they’re worried about losing “x” amount of weight or trying to attain a certain physique.