• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goalie Situation

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is the starter and who is the backup?

I think (1) Neuvy and (2) Holtby, but I honestly think you have a decent argument for just about any combination.

Holtby has been the hottest, downright unstoppable - but is he too young?

Neuvy is the most even-keeled and has been the calming force all year and has also own every playoff series he has been in over the last two years, but is he ready and why are his stats the worst of the bunch?

Varly has great numbers, undeniable talent, and the most playoff experience, but is he 100%? (ever?)

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know, I'm posting almost a month later and it's allready been decided it's 1. Neuvy, 2. Varly. But I got into this discussion awhile ago with a bud of mine about the goalie situation. He said that Holtby would be the best goalie, just not right now. I think he could be right about that, and throwing him into the fire of playoff hockey when it isn't needed wouldn't be a good thing.

He also said that Varly and Neuvy are about equal goalies, they just have different styles. Neuvy works better with the style of Defense the Caps have now. He works better when people are where they are supposed to be, because he himself is a positional goaltender. And Varly can make all of these acrobatic saves, but doesn't always have the best positioning. He would play better in a Defense like the Caps had before this season, leaving him out to dry alot and having to bail the defense out alot with those acrobatic saves.

I'm not sure I agree with what he has to say about Varly, but I do agree that Neuvy plays best when people around him are where they are supposed to be. I'd also agree that it would be a bigger advantage for Neuvy to have a better defense than it would be for Varly, but I'm not sure if a bad defense is ever good for a goalie. Anyway, thought I'd leave this here....

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors say Varlamov is going back to Russia.