• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GM Meetings in Philly

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same ol' same ol', for the most part, but what's this all about?

Burke, meanwhile, wants to discuss some possible rule changes: a modified icing rule, which he's pushed for years, a hybrid solution where the chase for the puck is decided around the hash marks instead of the end boards, thus saving on dangerous injuries; wider blue lines, the theory being it would keep the puck in play more in the offensive zone; and ringette lines in the defensive zone, forcing players to get there before making his outlet pass. Burke believes with no red line now, it's too easy for defensemen.

I've got no problem with the first two rules, I actually like them... but what? Ringette lines in the defensive zone? Too easy to make an outlet pass? Am I missing something here?

There is a huge risk in making one of those long stretch passes. Those things are very easy to intercept, and can result in costly turnovers. I feel like Burke is talking some crazy shit, or I'm just not understanding. Am I picking up what he's laying down here? Does anyone else have a different interpretation of this?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Burke is talking some crazy shit, or I'm just not understanding. Am I picking up what he's laying down here? Does anyone else have a different interpretation of this?

They were discussing this a little bit on the hot stove on HNIC last night. Pierre LeBrun was saying that Burke things a lot of defensemen have perfected the high chip off the glass from deep in their own ends and I guess the thinking is that they want defensemen to have to get to a certain spot in their own zone before passing/dumping the puck. Meh, much ado about nothing in my book.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were discussing this a little bit on the hot stove on HNIC last night. Pierre LeBrun was saying that Burke things a lot of defensemen have perfected the high chip off the glass from deep in their own ends and I guess the thinking is that they want defensemen to have to get to a certain spot in their own zone before passing/dumping the puck. Meh, much ado about nothing in my book.

Maybe Burke should focus on getting some defensemen who know where their defensive zone is, or at least can skate backwards enough so that every opposing forward can't get behind them.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Burke should focus on getting some defensemen who know where their defensive zone is, or at least can skate backwards enough so that every opposing forward can't get behind them.

Burke's next proposal: all players must stay on "tracks", and the coach controls their speed and direction like a bubble hockey table.

klyper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I dont think thats going to be a problem in Toronto, they have the veterans and skills on Defense to be justg fine so long as abled bodies like Komisarek, Phaneuf and Beauchamim buckle down and stop making the little undisciplined mistakes, and I think they will. Don't forget they are Defenseman, a learned postion over time some of the best didn't get there till their early 30's even.

Its the developing of 4 good enough forward lines to be a contender that is the leafs biggest chore.

I am actually surprised that Burke wants to make such a rule because I think it would hurt guys like Kaberle who is arguably one of the best making that quick tape-to-tape pass down ice from his own end. Perhaps its indicative that Burkie doesn't see Kaberle as a Leaf for very much longer. That would suck