• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Glen Gulutzan death watch

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also should be noted that the Flames are 28th in SV%. I haven't watched enough of their games this year to know if this is purely goalie related but it ain't good enough. One of Johnson or Elliott needs to step up.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also should be noted that the Flames are 28th in SV%. I haven't watched enough of their games this year to know if this is purely goalie related but it ain't good enough. One of Johnson or Elliott needs to step up.

I don't disagree, but that stat is skewed somewhat by the 1-4-1 start where everybody was atrocious (including the goalies). Both Elliott and Johnson have been much better in the last few games, but every mistake made in the defensive zone is ending up in the Flames net these days. The scary thing is that the best forward of late is Matthew Tkachuk, meanwhile Moneyhands and Gaudreau are suffering from big contractitis.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but that stat is skewed somewhat by the 1-4-1 start where everybody was atrocious (including the goalies). Both Elliott and Johnson have been much better in the last few games, but every mistake made in the defensive zone is ending up in the Flames net these days. The scary thing is that the best forward of late is Matthew Tkachuk, meanwhile Moneyhands and Gaudreau are suffering from big contractitis.
Since that 1-4-1 start, Elliott has a .893 sv%, Johnson .878.

One of them needs to get it going or pack their shit.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if BT can admit to himself that he made a big mistake with this coaching hire.
I mean, now that I write this they'll go on a tear and he'll be the second Flames coach in 3 years to win the Jack Adams (and do it without a massive PDO stench) but...

The Flames fired Hartley and then their two contenders for the job were Fucking Randy and the assistant coach on a team whose fans had re-named them "Tankouver".

The Flames then basically acknowledged the only reason they sucked the year before under Hartley anyway was because BB&T didn't get them a goalie. You get the new guy a good goalie and suddenly not only is the good goalie bad but the entire team has stink lines coming off their backs and the only change from last year really is the coaching.

None of that makes any sense. That shit makes less sense than a re-building team with a hollowed-out roster trading two first round picks for a scoring winger with nobody to pass him the puck.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since that 1-4-1 start, Elliott has a .893 sv%, Johnson .878.

One of them needs to get it going or pack their shit.

I didn't bother to calculate the actual numbers, but yeah, it's tough to win with a sub .900 save percentage. Gotta get the special teams ironed out though, it's sapping all momentum from the team.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. It seems like Elliott has been playing better. I was at the Sens-Flames game about 10 days ago and he was excellent in that one. As BBB pointed out though the numbers HAVE to come around or they'll be out of the playoff race by Christmas.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only saving grace thus far is that the Pacific Division has been pretty bad, but if they don't right the ship in the next few games, it's going to be too late and you might as well start making plans for next season.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, now that I write this they'll go on a tear and he'll be the second Flames coach in 3 years to win the Jack Adams (and do it without a massive PDO stench) but...

The Flames fired Hartley and then their two contenders for the job were Fucking Randy and the assistant coach on a team whose fans had re-named them "Tankouver".

The Flames then basically acknowledged the only reason they sucked the year before under Hartley anyway was because BT&T didn't get them a goalie. You get the new guy a good goalie and suddenly not only is the good goalie bad but the entire team has stink lines coming off their backs.

None of that makes any sense. That shit makes less sense than a re-building team with a hollowed-out roster trading two first round picks for a scoring winger with nobody to pass him the puck.

Ya see, I don't agree with the bolded. They got a goalie who came from a really good system. The Flames don't have a really good system in place (at least not yet). It was strange to me to think that this mediocre goalie (as he's been everywhere but St. Louis) was going to be anything but mediocre in Calgary.

Elliott has it in him to be decent for portions of seasons but I wouldn't call him an above average starter in this league.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya see, I don't agree with the bolded. They got a goalie who came from a really good system. The Flames don't have a really good system in place (at least not yet). It was strange to me to think that this mediocre goalie (as he's been everywhere but St. Louis) was going to be anything but mediocre in Calgary.

Elliott has it in him to be decent for portions of seasons but I wouldn't call him an above average starter in this league.
Well, it's not like the Sens teams he played for prior to leaving were going anywhere fast. 2 of the 3 years he started in goal in Ottawa the team were in the conference basement in goalscoring. But no, he was not good. That's a very true statement.

However, during his 5 seasons in STL he had the second-best sv% in the league over that span. The league is ripe with goalies who sucked on one team then moved elsewhere after a few years and thrived. Elliott wouldn't be the first.

You have a point regarding systems but Jesus Christ if this guy can't figure out how to get solid defending for his goalie from a top 4 that counts Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton as members he's really in over his head.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a point regarding systems but Jesus Christ if this guy can't figure out how to get solid defending for his goalie from a top 4 that counts Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton as members he's really in over his head.

That's part of the problem, all three of the above defenders have been mediocre to god-awful to start the season. Brent Kulak has been the best defenseman, followed by Deryk Engelland and no offense to either of those guys, but I'm afraid that's a bad situation if it continues.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's part of the problem, all three of the above defenders have been mediocre to god-awful to start the season. Brent Kulak has been the best defenseman, followed by Deryk Engelland and no offense to either of those guys, but I'm afraid that's a bad situation if it continues.
Polak and Hunwick are available...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumo(u)rs are swirling that Glue Glen's contract is only for this season. I find that hard to believe.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something has to be done (trade or some kind of coaching change *cough* Dave Cameron *cough*), this can't continue.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something has to be done (trade or some kind of coaching change *cough* Dave Cameron *cough*), this can't continue.

Canucks lose today and same.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30th on PP% and 29th (thanks Chicago) in PK% - Whatever GlueGlen and his coaching staff are trying to do certainly isn't working. Maybe I'm overvaluing the talent on this Flames team, but isn't part of coaching to assess the talent and put strategies in place to maximize the skills and talent available?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torts blowing sunshine up GG's butt...