• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Give me your top 10 draft day mistakes.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol we could not be further apart on this. Zeke at the time was definitely worth less than Sammy. I definitely didnt account enough for how damn good that situation is but a rookie is still a rookie.

Even now though Zeke isnt worth 2 Sammy Watkins. And Zeke, DJ, and Bell are the only RBs worth more than him right now IMO.

To further push your buttons...I think a WR is the 1.01 in rookie drafts in ppr(or at least justifiable), I only have 8 RBs in my top 26 rookies, and only 3 RBs in my top 17 or 18s overall.

*all of this assuming ppr

Zeke went long before Watkins in every draft I saw last year. He was about 18 picks before in ADP in season long leagues. Dynasty only inflators Zeke's value more.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The true life experiences are great, but I was looking for lists.
I have my own list, but I'm hoping the board "enlightens" me of an area I'm not considering.

Be like Monkey:
I'm assuming you're talking fantasy drafting mistakes, and not real football drafting mistakes

-drafting QB too early
-desperation draft pick on position that just came out of a run in previous picks
-not knowing your league's scoring/format settings
-drafting a player already taken (I know this is a mute point with internet drafts, but still happens frequently in all of my non-internet drafts)
-filling out entire starting roster before drafting any depth at WR or RB
-Kind of same as above point, drafting DST or K before last 3-4 rounds
-drafting any NWE RBs to fill your top 3 RB spots
-waiting too long to take a player you are high on
-drafting this year's players based solely off of last year's stats
-putting this one in here just for you Joe; drafting the hyped up rookies over steady veteran contributors

shocked I made it to 10, even though a couple were redundant and the NWE RBs comment isn't really legit

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The true life experiences are great, but I was looking for lists.
I have my own list, but I'm hoping the board "enlightens" me of an area I'm not considering.

Be like Monkey:
Well, that's like all analytical, and useful and stuff. .. where's the fun in that?

I would say monkeys about covers the big stuff. .i Would add, getting sucked into a position run, and if you've made a call to not draft player x going in. .. don't give in just because he looked like the last good guy left at the position and do it anyways

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke went long before Watkins in every draft I saw last year. He was about 18 picks before in ADP in season long leagues. Dynasty only inflators Zeke's value more.

Dynasty hurts his value. Gives Sammy the time for his situation to change. Plus WRs get more of a boost from dynasty due to longevity. Just about any dynasty adp had Watkins higher before last season I believe.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.the "Brees" affect(named after our own fellow SportsHoopla poster Brees1)- coming into the draft with a set plan and not having a plan B- don't come into draft and say you will draft 4 WRs in a row while passing on better value players

2. The "Bandit" affect(named after our own MBBRL member) if you like a player but his ADP is nowhere near OTC- don't take him- you can get him later... in other words wait on your hyped or sleepers until you believe you won't get the player back on your next turn.

3. the "foot" affect( named after our favorite foot)- similar to rule 2- if you are the only one that is hyping a player, you might need to check yourself, and don't rush on drafting him

4. Bench needs to be at least 80% WR/RB- if not then you made a huge mistake

5. DO NOT OWN THE TRUE HANDCUFF OF A PLAYER YOU DONT OWN- owning the handcuff of a player you don't own is a BIG MISTAKE- and a waste of a roster space...

6. Drafting for scarcity early on is a HUGE MISTAKE- first couple of rounds should always be BPA...

7. similar to 6. but don't fear drafting same position back to back to back...

8. Not knowing your league rules- different scoring systems demand for different player rankings

9. ranking players solely on last season stats... especially in football this is a huge mistake as players are so dependent on the situation... who their QB is, how good their O-line is etc...

10. the need to draft your starters before bench players- its OK to do this if your always picking BPA and somehow it just works out... But TEs and QBs, if you don't draft the big ones then you can wait and draft depth before filling out your roster.

a bunch of these rules basically say JUST DRAFT BPA as much as possible...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dynasty hurts his value. Gives Sammy the time for his situation to change. Plus WRs get more of a boost from dynasty due to longevity. Just about any dynasty adp had Watkins higher before last season I believe.
Okay, agree or not. . That one needs some MASSIVE explaination..cuz, it don't make no sense a'tall

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, agree or not. . That one needs some MASSIVE explaination..cuz, it don't make no sense a'tall

I shouldn't say hurts his value as much as helps Watkins' value more.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is not during the draft, but I think it is a HUGE mistake (although, I admit, sometimes it does work out for the person).

Hitting the ww after week 1 and revamping your whole team.

I see this year after year after year and I laugh my ass off every single time. Some team makes 4 or 5 moves and drops someone they drafted in the 3rd or 4th round who underperformed and picks up someone who NOBODY drafted (except maybe his mamma) and they went off for 100+ yards and 2 TDs. Fast forward to week 5 and the guy they dropped is leading the league in scoring and they guy they picked up has a total of about 100+ yards and 2 TDs and was dropped the next week after a goose egg.

I just don't understand how people can put so much preparation into the draft and let 1 game trump everything that they had been reading in the 3 months prior.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
l think I finally thought of one - thinking Im smarter than ADP. Not that ADP needs to be followed religiously, I do come up with my own rankings and have "my guys" and such. But I think there comes a point where if somebody I dont like is falling I need to pull the trigger. Because the number of times Ive been confident in a guy either way and been wrong isnt insignifcant and ADP often wouldve worked out all right.

Also somewhat related...but remembering that just because I love Player A and am down on Player B it doesnt mean Player A is actually better. For example, Im low on Brandin Cooks but I love Jamison Crowder. But Cooks is still worth more, and sometimes I struggle to remember that I dont need to draft Crowder over Cooks just cuz I love Crowder.

And finally (and possibly in conflict with everything I just said) dont draft guys you dont want to root for. Not the best advice for winning fantasy games but some players are just more fun to have on your team and might be worth the loss in "value".

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
l think I finally thought of one - thinking Im smarter than ADP. Not that ADP needs to be followed religiously, I do come up with my own rankings and have "my guys" and such. But I think there comes a point where if somebody I dont like is falling I need to pull the trigger. Because the number of times Ive been confident in a guy either way and been wrong isnt insignifcant and ADP often wouldve worked out all right.

Also somewhat related...but remembering that just because I love Player A and am down on Player B it doesnt mean Player A is actually better. For example, Im low on Brandin Cooks but I love Jamison Crowder. But Cooks is still worth more, and sometimes I struggle to remember that I dont need to draft Crowder over Cooks just cuz I love Crowder.

And finally (and possibly in conflict with everything I just said) dont draft guys you dont want to root for. Not the best advice for winning fantasy games but some players are just more fun to have on your team and might be worth the loss in "value".
Draft Cooks, trade him to some schmuck for Crowder and a good RB

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without question, from last year: Buying all in on the Houston offense (I was keeping Hopkins) and drafting Lamar Miller with Zeke and David Johnson available. I may be quitting this league.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WR craze last season went wide receiver heavy "BPA" in quite a few leagues last year and had my worst fantasy season i've ever had 8 teams, no championships, only 3 playoff teams, and 5 teams with a losing record. Going forward i'm going to avoid going WR/WR to start a draft.

Another one is running up the bid to have a player dropped on me in auction drafts. I doubt this is a habit i can break though.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once took both Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick both in my first three picks. That was a long time ago. It didn't work, and I only won 3 games that year.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without a doubt
the number 1 draft day mistake is.....

too many Blue stubbies

hoser.png

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a guy in one league draft Drew Brees, Big Ben and Russell Wilson with his round 3-5 picks.
I guess he thought he'd find a trading partner.
He didn't.
At least not until half way through the season out of desperation.
For the most part he was under .500 all season long, finishing 7-8 in 9th place (out of 12).