• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants Signing Older Players Already Backfiring

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I really like about Shaw, and this would only be seen if you follow the Giants system somewhat regularly, is his ability to adjust. Every time he got a promotion, he went into a bit of a funk for 3 weeks or so, but then, like clockwork, he went on an absolute tear.

That shows that he is willing to learn. Conversely, it might mean that he learns rather slowly, and COULD have trouble reacting to readjustments by pitchers, which happens much faster at the MLB level.

He has the best pure power in the Giants system, though, and it isn’t even close.
Yeah I believe that. But I was looking at Duggar's college stats and he looks like a guy that I would expect to be a good major leaguer. He killed it in his senior year. The only thing that is missing is he needs to get a little more power.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, forgot him. Based on name recognition and past performance that lineup seems a lot better than some of the lineups they won with recently. A lot of veterans, but not really that old.
Older players get injured and all of those guys, except Belt are past there primes so we'll see. I agree though that on paper its a pretty formidable lineup.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is a place-holder in Center. If Duggar does not win the job outright in Spring (still a long shot, but it would not be a shocker if it happens), he will be up by the time the super-2 cutoff passes. He is a defense first CFer. Think a poor-man’s Kiermaier. He does not project as an All-Star, but he should be a solid starter.

Williamson is an older prospect who lost a season to TJ a few years. He has been in Bochy’s doghouse for some unknown reason the last couple years. Untimely injuries have also hurt his career. But this off-season he has totally retooled his swing (he worked intensely with Justin Turners personal hitting coach) and has really opened a lot of eyes this spring. There aren’t enough available ABs at the wings in SF to start the season, but he should get the call once Pence gets hurt and he will likely be given the opportunity to start for good once that happens. He still has an option which kills his chances to open in SF.

Shaw, IMHO, is the Giants #1 prospect. His bat likely plays right now. But his defense likely means he has no future in SF. He was drafted as a 1B but is blocked there by Belt and Posey. He has officially been switched to LF (which he played a lot in college), but is still considered a liability in the field. His bat might be enough to overcome his D, though. But he still sits behind Williamson right now, really only because of age and options.

Beede is pretty much the consensus #2 prospect in the Giants system (typically behind Ramos). He still has options and is currently #7 or #8 on the SP depth chart. It is likely that once he gets his cuppo, he will be done with the minors. He probably has a ceiling as a good #3.

Suarez is probably the #6 on the depth chart. He is not on the 40 yet, but is very polished. He will likely be a victim of the roster shuffle for the next couple years. If not for the 40 or options, he would almost certainly be an MLB mainstay by mid season. But he is enough of a prospect that he will be jacked a bit, likely.

Cyr is a lefty bully arm. Osich and Okert will be given every opportunity behind Smith and Watson first, but Cyr has rocketed up the system over the last couple years. He may get his cuppo this year, and adds depth if needed, but is more likely a name-to-know for 2019.
But a pretty decent one. And Duggar will not win the starting job in Center no matter what he does. Bochy will not allow it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there are a handful of MLB-ready players ready to contribute in major roles if needed this season...

Shaw
Duggar
Williamson
Suarez
Beede
Cyr

Minor roles, maybe. But certainly not major roles.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Older players get injured and all of those guys, except Belt are past there primes so we'll see. I agree though that on paper its a pretty formidable lineup.
Yeah, it's tougher to keep it together and stay healthy and productive all year when you have a lot of veterans but it is fun to watch when it works out. One of my favorite teams ever was the '93 Phillies when Daulton and Kruk and Eisenreich and those guys were all about 30-32 and everything broke right for them. (of course now Dykstra claims he was eating steroids on his cereal back then so that probably helped them stay healthy that season :D)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know that. That sucks. He was definitely interesting to watch.
Oh he's the starting left fielder, but I doubt he lasts all year with the job.