• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants eyeing JD Martinez

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive stats are a waste of time imo.

He's a decent outfielder. But a lot more than decent hitter.

They're not a perfect science to be sure, but every single metric goes severely against him (heck, he even made 6 errors). Luckily, he'd play LF in AT&T, and it wouldn't deter me much IMO.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive stats are a waste of time imo.

He's a decent outfielder. But a lot more than decent hitter.

Oh, well then. Smitty thinks they're useless so I guess we should all disregard them.

Jeebus. :L

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, well then. Smitty thinks they're useless so I guess we should all disregard them.

He is saying that JDs defense passes his eye test, regardless what the numbers say. Why rip him? He is offering a fans perspective of the guy.

Tz, you gotta chill. This is not your owners yard. You don't have to growl and bark at every stranger who wanders in.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is saying that JDs defense passes his eye test, regardless what the numbers say. Why rip him? He is offering a fans perspective of the guy.

Tz, you gotta chill. This is not your owners yard. You don't have to growl and bark at every stranger who wanders in.

abda88d301ef4290850c412aab72a656.jpg

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is that what he's saying? Because that was certainly not clear to me. Why not just say: I don't know about the metrics, but he looked decent to me on defense.

I don't mean to be a dick, but sometimes the blase use of language annoys me.

Now, all of you: get off my lawn!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last thought on this post.

I read the original post as one would read something like: Global warming stats are a waste of time IMO.

and then /micdrop.

No reasoning, no support, just: I dismiss an entire field of study. Moving on.

Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ftr, I agree that defensive metrics are basically worthless. They require too large a sample size to truly be helpful, and in order to supply the requisite sample size, skills have changed enough to skew the results.

That doesn't mean they are completely worthless, though. Just that they are only there (IMHO) to provide Greg generalities and to raise some flags to recommend further research.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at his 2014 defensive numbers and his 2015 one's, then last years.

They're a bit different and he's prolly somewhere in the middle, or a little closer to 2015. (It was his arm that was injured, so I have no idea for the drastic
Difference.) He's a solid corner outfielder. If he had to play center for Some reason, his lack of quickness would most likely cost some runs. (Too many times I've seen defensive numbers not jibe with what I've witnessed. Example Andy Dirks, he was okay not a top 5 Leftfielder.)

If you guys add JD and he's your worst defensive player, you'll be doing just fine. (Your offense would be more than fine. He a 3-4 hitter in most lineups imo. Just not the one he's been on the last few years.)

And I am a little butthurt he's not going to be a Tiger longterm. Upton being signed last year took care of that, unfortunately. Martinez is a true student of the game(keeps a journal, updates between each at bat and between innings.) his growth as a player has been fun to watch.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ftr, I agree that defensive metrics are basically worthless. They require too large a sample size to truly be helpful, and in order to supply the requisite sample size, skills have changed enough to skew the results.

That doesn't mean they are completely worthless, though. Just that they are only there (IMHO) to provide Greg generalities and to raise some flags to recommend further research.
Bout impossible to gauge true defensive talent imo. Atleast comparatively. Nobody can watch every game. And that pretty much what it would take. Not a group. The same guy.