• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants eyeing JD Martinez

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants and Tigers have discussed the possibility of a swap that would send power-hitting outfielder J.D. Martinez out west, according to Jon Morosi of MLB Network (via Twitter). Detroit has been said to be willing to consider deals involving all its veteran assets, so news of the discussions is hardly surprising. The discussions were held during the GM Meetings and “have yet to advance beyond [the] initial stage,” Morosi adds on Twitter. As things stand, there’s no reason to believe there’s any particular momentum toward a transaction. MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would cost Arroyo and Beede, probably...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is an intriguing trade idea. The guy has been solid in his 3 years in Detroit. Wonder how his numbers would translate with SF. My one concern would be how inflated his numbers are by playing in Detroit. He wasn't that get in his 3 years with Houston. Probably just a late bloomer.

That being said, I'm okay if the trade doesn't happen. I would like to keep Arroyo and Beede and I wouldn't mind seeing Williamson and Parker get a shot at full time play.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is it's a buyers market for corner OF/first base types, both free agents and trade targets. The scarce players are middle infielders and catchers and CFs and such.

So yes we can go with Parkiamson, and if we go nuts with the bullpen spending we probably should. But maybe they will decide to spend on LF instead.

We'll see. These guys have a good track record.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is an intriguing trade idea. The guy has been solid in his 3 years in Detroit. Wonder how his numbers would translate with SF. My one concern would be how inflated his numbers are by playing in Detroit. He wasn't that get in his 3 years with Houston. Probably just a late bloomer.

That being said, I'm okay if the trade doesn't happen. I would like to keep Arroyo and Beede and I wouldn't mind seeing Williamson and Parker get a shot at full time play.

:nod:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will commit serious resources to the OF until Melancon or Jansen is signed

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His OPS+, which is adjusted for park, is in the 130-140 range for the last three years. I don't think it's a Detroit thing.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Detroit is one of the biggest ballparks in baseball, with huge gaps in Left-center and Right-center. Without looking at his splits yet, and his power distribution, I'd say he'd probably be a decent bet to keep his numbers mostly up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD Martinez really is an interesting player. Since he joined Detroit, most of his splits have remained pretty even. Home/Away, R/L, Pre-ASB/Post-ASB, his homerun distribution is to the entire field. His OBP is been buoyed by his batting average, but he still sees a lot of pitches (around 4 per plate appearance). He's just been an all around fantastic hitter since joining Detroit.

The downside, his defense plummeted from bad to terrible in RF. He'd probably be asked to play LF here, which he may not want to do. That leads to the next problem, he's a free agent after this year. He'll want to do whats best for him, moving to LF shouldn't hurt his value that much, but if the Giants are trying to convince him to stay that might start things on the wrong foot. There will certainly be a ton of competition for his services, so the Giants will have to pay top, top, TOP dollar for him to stick around. Is that going to be worth giving up Arroyo, Beede, Shaw, and probably more?

There's no doubt in my mind though that Martinez would be a great fit in this lineup though, almost the perfect fit.

Reactions: LHG

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants do not seem likely to trade for J.D. Martinez, the San Francisco Chronicle’s John Shea tweets. They would likely only make a deal for someone in Martinez’s position if they were to also able to trade a player making a similar salary. Martinez will make $11.75MM next season as part of the two-year deal he signed with the Tigers in March. San Francisco Giants Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors

I agree with all that, but what if we renegotiated his contract and backloaded it. Seems like Detroit is motivated. I'm sure Martinez wouldn't mind if we added one more year and an option for a third.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants do not seem likely to trade for J.D. Martinez, the San Francisco Chronicle’s John Shea tweets. They would likely only make a deal for someone in Martinez’s position if they were to also able to trade a player making a similar salary. Martinez will make $11.75MM next season as part of the two-year deal he signed with the Tigers in March. San Francisco Giants Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors

I agree with all that, but what if we renegotiated his contract and backloaded it. Seems like Detroit is motivated. I'm sure Martinez wouldn't mind if we added one more year and an option for a third.
Melancon's contract already goes up and the Giants want to extend Bumgarner. That makes for a awfully inflexible 2018 offseason.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a 20mil plus type of hitter.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he's a steal at $11M. Not sure who his agent is (my gut tells me Boras). He's probably motivated to hit the open market and be the top free agent.
Nope, he's with Select Sports Group. That means his agents may be open to an extension. If it was Boras, it would be 100% that he would be on the open market after next season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CBA doesn't allow for that.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he's a steal at $11M. Not sure who his agent is (my gut tells me Boras). He's probably motivated to hit the open market and be the top free agent.
RMG Baseball is his agency.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And at $8mm/WAR, he's a minus $21.6mm fielder.

J.D. Martinez Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

I'm not sure I've ever seen a minus 2.7 dWAR, ever. And in only 120 games.

Minus 3.6 for a prorated year. Incredible.

Like Sammy Sosa on steroids.

Wait, what?
Defensive stats are a waste of time imo.

He's a decent outfielder. But a lot more than decent hitter.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3